Copper tubing for immersion chiller - Durbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper tubing for immersion chiller - Durbs

Any ideas on where to buy this stuff? At my flipping wits end here.
    So far I have tried

Homeaire - don't sell those to the public.
    Hirsch aircon - same thing
    Northside electrical - Have them shown on their website, but my local branch doesn't have stock and will only get again in 1-2 weeks. Also they only sell 15m long rolls of the stuff.
    A few of the smaller aircon places I have called also don't sell to the public

I am hoping a fellow Durban brewer will have some sage advice on where I can find this ****ing tubing. About to give up one ever finding it myself.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.
    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
    He put the wort into there,
    to cut down on the air.
    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Hi

I'm in JHB, not sure if you have a Leroy Merlin close by they have both normal cooper pipes and the soft coil type used with Aircon's

https://leroymerlin.co.za/catalogsea...sult/?q=copper

Comment

Sadly Leroy Merlin is only in JHB.
      There once was a man from Nantucket.
      Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
      He put the wort into there,
      to cut down on the air.
      Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
        So far I have tried

Northside electrical - Have them shown on their website, but my local branch doesn't have stock and will only get again in 1-2 weeks. Also they only sell 15m long rolls of the stuff.

I am hoping a fellow Durban brewer will have some sage advice on where I can find this ****ing tubing. About to give up one ever finding it myself.
        Go with that. Its going to take you a week of research and hunting around anyway. 15m is the typical length they come in, at LM as well.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

What Lang said.

I bought a 15m one and made a ribcage chiller with it. works liek a charm.

Just be careful if buying a pump for it, the pump needs to be powerful enough since there is a lot of resistance.
          I got a 620L/h pump and it barely does the job(i need to raise my coolerbox to my urn's level for a decent flow).

Comment

Try Metraclark in KZN : https://www.metraclark.co.za/south-african-branches/

Bought mine at Cape Town branch years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
              So far I have tried

That's going to exactly how much you'll need
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

You could always - like I did, make an immersion chiller from 15mm hard drawn copper tubing. The come in 5.5m lengths. hard drawn copper is kind-off cumbersome to work with - difficult to bend, kinks easily and finished product looks crooked. Though once constructed they are solid and work well.
                AlexBrew
                Last edited by AlexBrew; 13 January 2021, 20:42.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  You could always - like I did, make an immersion chiller from 15mm hard drawn copper tubing. The come in 5.5m lengths. hard drawn copper is kind-off cumbersome to work with - difficult to bend, kinks easily and finished product looks crooked. Though once constructed they are solid and work well.
                  yes, you can do this by doing a square design: lots of cutting but if you use the new crimp connectors, no soldering needed

https://www.builders.co.za/Plumbing/...00000000152114

Comment

I posted on this before .. My boet is a plumber and he's got a proper mobile pipe bender, so every cm or so you make a small bend in the pipe - until you're going round in coils, about 27cm dia. Laborious process.

The day it was made:
                    IMG-20200521-WA0007.jpg

..and then fitted hosepipe connectors:
                    IMG-20200530-WA0047.jpg

EDIT: Pipe bender
                    pipe bender.jpg
                    AlexBrew
                    Last edited by AlexBrew; 14 January 2021, 15:05.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                      I posted on this before .. My boet is a plumber and he's got a proper mobile pipe bender, so every cm or so you make a small bend in the pipe - until you're going round in coils, about 27cm dia. Laborious process.

The day it was made:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2968[/ATTACH]

..and then fitted hosepipe connectors:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2969[/ATTACH]

EDIT: Pipe bender
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2970[/ATTACH]
                      Man I feel so guilty. You made me one and it's STILL in the box, I haven't even opened it to check. I haven't had time to run a single batch in weeks, so it's literally just been sitting here. I'm sorry, but I'll definitely get around to it sometime soon. Lockdown booze ban is driving my urge to make more booze again.

Comment

Or you can just buy this one from me, only problem is shipping it to Durban, wil have to package it good.

PS. the pot is also for sale
                        pm me if interested

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          Man I feel so guilty. You made me one and it's STILL in the box, I haven't even opened it to check. I haven't had time to run a single batch in weeks, so it's literally just been sitting here. I'm sorry, but I'll definitely get around to it sometime soon. Lockdown booze ban is driving my urge to make more booze again.
                          No probs - it's not going to run away ..

Comment

Working...
                          X