Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: SAB clones

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Well, he was following the recipe (that won a competition) as posted on page 2 for the initial fermentation schedule ....

good point, and I just need to point out that I know very little about lagers

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    good point, and I just need to point out that I know very little about lagers
    You may know little, but that was my first thought on the topic as well. My go-to for lagers has always been a long time at low, and only then sloooowly raising the temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You may know little, but that was my first thought on the topic as well. My go-to for lagers has always been a long time at low, and only then sloooowly raising the temp.
    Do you feel that my temperature bump from 12 to 20C was too rapid ?

Edit: I'll deff try this recipe again - maybe change some things more to my liking .. but first have other wish list brews on my mind.

thanks for letting us know. I think you are on the money with the efficiency/ABV and stressed yeast.

I may try to brew it again one day - but I'm not in any rush either ;>

I dunno if the temp swing would play such a huge role, to be honest. I make mostly lagers these days and with the load shedding I also get pretty bad temp swings - and it still turns out fine.

Drumroll .... The Long Awaited .. Much Anticipated..
    20210529_155308.jpg
    The time had come yesterday to open my last Castle Lite clone alongside the original. When I opened both bottles, there was much more hop aroma coming from the original, with hardly any from the clone. The clone still had a wee wiff of that banana.. It's been in that bottle for a while now.. brewed 4 feb, bottled 24 Feb.. 3 months on.

20210529_155821.jpg
    My clone obviously not as clear as the original - I didn't add any gelatin to it. Something to add for the next brew. The original also has more colour to it.

20210529_155835.jpg
    I had a couple of sips from both.. the clone was just less tasty than the original - mainly lacking the hop flavour/aroma that the original has. On the bitterness level, they where very equal, even mouthfeel was similar. Both had that 'spritz' when you took a sip of co2 crackling in your mouth.. even after couple of sips the head retention was very similar all the way to the bottom, both leaving some lacing on the way down.

The original was more of the lager/pilsner style, the clone was more like a blonde, with that subtle banana aroma.

Next time I'll add some colour, maybe aroma/melanoidin malt or munich. Bittering was almost spot on, but was lacking the hops in your nose effect - so more late addition hops. Not sure if dry hopping would do the trick, but that is not lager style practice to do this. Possibly a 20min whirlpool... and pitch a decent whack of yeast

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    Drumroll .... The Long Awaited .. Much Anticipated..
    20210529_155308.jpg
    The time had come yesterday to open my last Castle Lite clone alongside the original. When I opened both bottles, there was much more hop aroma coming from the original, with hardly any from the clone. The clone still had a wee wiff of that banana.. It's been in that bottle for a while now.. brewed 4 feb, bottled 24 Feb.. 3 months on.

20210529_155821.jpg
    My clone obviously not as clear as the original - I didn't add any gelatin to it. Something to add for the next brew. The original also has more colour to it.

20210529_155835.jpg
    I had a couple of sips from both.. the clone was just less tasty than the original - mainly lacking the hop flavour/aroma that the original has. On the bitterness level, they where very equal, even mouthfeel was similar. Both had that 'spritz' when you took a sip of co2 crackling in your mouth.. even after couple of sips the head retention was very similar all the way to the bottom, both leaving some lacing on the way down.

The original was more of the lager/pilsner style, the clone was more like a blonde, with that subtle banana aroma.

Next time I'll add some colour, maybe aroma/melanoidin malt or munich. Bittering was almost spot on, but was lacking the hops in your nose effect - so more late addition hops. Not sure if dry hopping would do the trick, but that is not lager style practice to do this. Possibly a 20min whirlpool... and pitch a decent whack of yeast

Thanks for this.. Does the future hold a v2 showdown with the changes you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by BruHaha View Post
    Thanks for this.. Does the future hold a v2 showdown with the changes you mentioned?
    Yes for sure. I've got a benchmark to work from now. I've made some noob mistakes as mentioned which lead me into reseach on the topics - hopefully I learned from it.

EDIT: Perhaps if I added gelatin to the beer post fermentation I might not have this banana flavour (which I believe is the yeast in suspension), in addition the beer would bave been clearer too, which then only leaves the colour and more late addition hops.
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 31st May 2021 at 16:14.