SAB clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
    Give this a try. It won SouthYeasters Clone comp for Cloning Castle Lite.

BIAB Method

* 67% Viking Pilsner Malt
    * 20% Weyermann Vienna
    * 13% Dextrose (added to boil)
    (by weight, so gravity contribution is quite different)

* 40mins @ 64C
    * 30mins @ 72C
    * 10min @ 77C

60min boil

* 30mins, T90 Blend to contribute 12 IBU
    * 15mins, Africa Queen to contribute 7-8 IBU
    * 10 mins, Irish Moss

Target OG 1.032

* S-23 SafLager West European Lager
    * 7 days, starting at 9C with even rise to 12C
    * 3 days at 20C
    * Cold Crash to -2C for 1 day
    * Gelatin Fine at -2C for 1 day

Target FG 1.001

Bottle/Keg for 2.8 vols of CO2
    Thanks for this man, appreciated! I'm going to brew this one up ASAP as well. Just need to get the malts in place...

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      I would have thought they would use the T90 blend, as apparently it's made for the seasonal consistency, and is mostly S. Star.

Don't open old wounds with the cornflakes/iron topic!

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
        Give this a try. It won SouthYeasters Clone comp for Cloning Castle Lite.
        is that a good thing?
        my 2c, less hops but boil it longer to get the grass taste more prominent - then again it may be too flavorful for the category. carry on, it's your time, money and effort

Comment

Spook. I thought with your little hiatus you would come back more chilled
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

i pop in once a week or so and try to answer a few posts in one go. i've swiveled my focus around a bit, but still enjoy the banter. i try to keep it light, a pinch of salt with these are needed, i guess.
            i'm sure alexbrew will make a clone, it will undoubtedly be better than what he intends for it to be and he likely wont make it again. i find it difficult to mess up a beer/brew on purpose, even it's educational.

corn, rice, dextrose and a few cheap hop pellets doesn't entice me enough to waste water, time and yeast on it. imagine having a keg of that disappointment. no thanks.
            if a mate doesn't want/like my beer, he wont be on the receiving end of it. some people tend to enjoy mass produced flavorless beer, food, etc. i can't fathom it and not interested to know why either.

Comment

What do you mean?!? this IS the chilled spook, can't you tell

Thanks for the visits spook.. appreciate you taking the time to answer some questions.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                a pinch of salt with these are needed, i guess
                So salt AND iron in a beer? Sjoe. That sounds healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  So salt AND iron in a beer? Sjoe. That sounds healthy.

aye, i was the one blasting against that high % iron beer brought to you by the man mentioned in these conpetitions

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                    What do you mean?!? this IS the chilled spook, can't you tell

Thanks for the visits spook.. appreciate you taking the time to answer some questions.

sorry man, you guys are still stuck with me. i enjoy the hobby and poking a some fun now and then

Comment

aye, i was the one blasting against that high % iron beer brought to you by the man mentioned in these conpetitions
                      I know I was pulling your leg :P

Comment

i'm sure alexbrew will make a clone, it will undoubtedly be better than what he intends for it to be...
                        Ag ja .. will see what comes of it. it's going to be a 'been there .. done that' excercise.

EDIT: If I can piss it out and makes lots of foam and bubbles in the toilet .. then im happy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                          Ag ja .. will see what comes of it. it's going to be a 'been there .. done that' excercise.

EDIT: If I can piss it out and makes lots of foam and bubbles in the toilet .. then im happy
                          well....technically then you'd be producing castle lite each time you take a piss, the two share many similarities i'm told. if it looks and smells like piss then it must be castle lite

Comment

Haha .. I hear you. I have some buddies and they like Castle Lite (dhuuuu). They said they don't like 'caft beer' - I was about about to ask why not - then I kept quiet and ponderered - it's probably too expensive or too difficult for you (i.e. you're too stupid).

Ok .. now, next time I'll meet them at a braai - or whatever, with prohibition, I'd be drinking a lite lager, telling them "I thought you don't like craft beer" .. while watching their faces.. as they drink their R200 sixpack. Obviously I'll tell them that it costed me R5 litre to make..

Regardless, it's a challenge id like to do... does this mean that crap beer is difficult to make?
                            With this experiment I'd hopefully learn something, which will enable me to apply it on my future lager/pilsner brews.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                              Haha .. I hear you. I have some buddies and they like Castle Lite (dhuuuu). They said they don't like 'caft beer' - I was about about to ask why not - then I kept quiet and ponderered - it's probably too expensive or too difficult for you (i.e. you're too stupid).

Ok .. now, next time I'll meet them at a braai - or whatever, with prohibition, I'd be drinking a lite lager, telling them "I thought you don't like craft beer" .. while watching their faces.. as they drink their R200 sixpack. Obviously I'll tell them that it costed me R5 litre to make..

Regardless, it's a challenge id like to do... does this mean that crap beer is difficult to make?
                              With this experiment I'd hopefully learn something, which will enable me to apply it on my future lager/pilsner brews.

to be fair, i have had some atrocious 'craft' beer before. in the before covid time, if the few vendors i trust doesn't feature on the taplist i'd have wine or something.
                              if you have a fair bit of experience brewing, making a crap beer is difficult as it would go against your experience, it's not a bad thing to venture out of your comfort zone and try something new either, increase those xp points

my personal disdain for light american lager is more around the adjuncts that makes up most of the bill, the tiny amount of hops and the overall feature poor content the beer provides. i dont 'get' the style, i know it exist to cater for cheap-barely-qualifying-as beer beers to placate the masses and turn a shiny profit

Comment

See, that I can respect. It's how I feel about your sour beers, like gose and all those styles infected with brett or lacto. I just don't "get" it. I don't enjoy it and I don't like it. I, on the other hand, enjoy a light lager. I enjoy it A LOT. So we always say "brew what you like", and here I'd like the privilege to do just that without being called an idiot about it.

It's like you say - with experience you learn how to do things "right". I am 100% certain that my beers, even the ones I rush, are better than anything SAB churns out. Do I want to brew a lager with dextrose to see what happens with it, flavoured with minimal hops? Yes. Why? Because why not.

I enjoy the style, and I enjoy the flavours (yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I even enjoy an ice cold Castle Lite on a hot summer's day). I want to brew a beer that comes close to it, but improves on it. Why? Because why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X