Re-using month old kveik voss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-using month old kveik voss

I brewed an amarillo smash about a month ago... regulars will recall I split the batch and dryhopped half. I now want to do a full batch later today JUST with dryhopping as a mate really enjoyed it

I have 2 of these slurry bottles I harvested last time.
    1.jpg

I've read the grey layer on top is dead yeast, which is fine as apparently it'll just become yeast food. The question is how much is needed as the batch I pitched onto a fresh 500ml cake (US-05 not voss) last weekend made a mess with a very active fermentation.

PS. Bottle in the pic is a 750g mayonnaise bottle.

Thanks

From beerandbrewing.com:
    6–10 ounces of slurry for a typical 5-gallon batch | So 177-300mls or by weight it's 193-320g for my 20l batch

from wyeastlabs.com:
    1kg slurry per 1.17hL | So 170 grams for my 20l batch

Sounds about right considering my overpitch last weekend?

Comment

I store about the same amount of yeast ... I just tilt the jar to the side and scoop 2x desert spoons into the FV.
      (I have less liquid on top)
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        I store about the same amount of yeast. I just tilt the jar to the side and scoop 2x desert spoons into the FV.
        (I have less liquid on top)

2 desert spoons??? That's 20mls!! Wow.. very little.

Anyway.. I've taken out that bottle to get up to room temp for use later. Measures about 360g so will definitely have enough and will just chuck what I can't use.

Oh.. and I've also read that re-using yeast that's been dryhopped is not ideal? Oh well. time will tell I suppose.
        BruHaha
        Last edited by BruHaha; 16 January 2021, 09:31.

Comment

I store my yeast in 250ml consul jars and pour them approx 80% full. They have a tendency to sweat out the top if say 90% full and make a mess. Once in the fridge for a week or so the sludge settles and settles to say 60% full. When I repitch I take the jar out the fridge in the morning of brew day, at pitching time I toss the top clear layer and pitch the rest. I usually hear the first bubble after 30min- 1hr. After 3hrs things are going like a freight train.

Comment

Doh.. Wasn't thinking. I'm brewing today so only pitching tomorrow. OK for yeast to be out since this morning (36 hrs total) or should I rather put it back in fridge and take out tomorrow morning again?

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
              Doh.. Wasn't thinking. I'm brewing today so only pitching tomorrow. OK for yeast to be out since this morning (36 hrs total) or should I rather put it back in fridge and take out tomorrow morning again?
              Put it back asap.

I watched a vid form White Labs on YT and the engineer explained that as soon as yeast comes to non hibernation temp and there is no food, they start cannibalizing on themselves.
              Best you get them into hibernation again...

EDIT: Crap, see now this was yesterday already. Hope you did... worst case you'll have a reduced cell count but since its kveik it should bounce right back with a bit more time than normal.

Comment

Thanks capunt. I did put it back in the end. Took it out this morning to get to room temp and then pitched it. I put a teaspoon into the smaller "overflow" container this morning and by this afternoon krausen had formed. Pitched the main lot into the cube late this afternoon so expecting all to be good and foamy later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                  Thanks capunt. I did put it back in the end. Took it out this morning to get to room temp and then pitched it. I put a teaspoon into the smaller "overflow" container this morning and by this afternoon krausen had formed. Pitched the main lot into the cube late this afternoon so expecting all to be good and foamy later tonight.
                  There is no need to pitch from room temp ... I pitch straight from the fridge and have been for years.

Even White Labs said you can pitch direct from fridge
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

all good and +1 to what Jig said. I pitch straight from the fridge too now since watching the same vid about yeast from WL on YT

Comment

Thanks gents.. will remember for next time.

The cube was hissing nicely this morning so primary has started in that one too. /does the dance of joy

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        There is no need to pitch from room temp ... I pitch straight from the fridge and have been for years.

Even White Labs said you can pitch direct from fridge [emoji106]
                        I have started doing the same.... From 0 degrees fridge, straight into 35c wort

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Back to the name of the thread. I used a half of an oslo vial on saturday that was in my fridge for 9 months was combined with a Ragnarok that was 6 months old. Started burping in 6h

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X