Quickest from grain to glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickest from grain to glass

I just read about a 48 hour brew from grain to glass ..... must be some kind of record - Kveik yeast at 40 degrees
    Busy rebuilding ....

i've done that, it tasted just like you'd expect. rushed.
    like any other saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast, kveik still needs some time to clean up. three day ferment, two day cleanup is the bare minimum i'd go.

Comment

48h?
      Maybe
      4h brew with chilling.
      Imidiate pitch of an active yeast.
      Or maybe onto a fresh yeast cake
      That could maybe eat an average 1045 beer in 24h at 40C.
      Then chill and keg 12h later if you have a pre chilled freezer.
      So if you optimize everything you could actually do this in 35 to 40h
      BUT IT WILL TASTE GREEN.
      And then the yeast has not cleaned any fusals
      Crazy quick though

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Picture of the beer: https://imgur.com/a/pSfqUAp

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing...rain_to_glass/
        Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Thats not bad

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah kveik is a beast.
            I bottled my latest pale ale batch(5.5 Days in the FV @26 deg with LC Midbust) at around 10h30 on Sat morning. Opened the first one yesterday at 14h30 (after being in the freezer for an hour and then the fridge for another 30 mins).
            It was perfectly carbed. I left them in a cupboard which was around 25-26deg throughout and put the rest of them the fridge this morning.

So grain to glass in just under 7 days.

EDIT: To add: I didn't cold crash, so there is visibly more yeast in each bottle but this doesn't bother me. I have cold crashed it before as well but then it obviously took much longer to condition as there was much less yeast present(also, ambient temps weren't as hot back then).
            CaPunT
            Last edited by CaPunT; 18 January 2021, 14:56.

Comment

I don't really need to produce beer this fast. I think for now Im also done with Kveik(Voss that is)
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                I don't really need to produce beer this fast. I think for now Im also done with Kveik(Voss that is)
                Yup, agreed. I use Oslo to great affect, but for Ales I stick to US-05.

Comment

We did that at Africa Brew in 2019.

Brewed a beer on Friday afternoon and it was on tap on Sunday morning. Fermentation was done sous vide style in a Grainfather @ 40 deg C. Once it hit target gravity and was given a few hours to reach ambient, it was cold crashed @ 1 degree till the next morning. Strong notes of overripe orange as expected, but perfectly fine to drink.

Used the then-new cultivar of Kveik from LiquidCulture. Chris brought it through personally.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                    We did that at Africa Brew in 2019.

Brewed a beer on Friday afternoon and it was on tap on Sunday morning. Fermentation was done sous vide style in a Grainfather @ 40 deg C. Once it hit target gravity and was given a few hours to reach ambient, it was cold crashed @ 1 degree till the next morning. Strong notes of overripe orange as expected, but perfectly fine to drink.

Used the then-new cultivar of Kveik from LiquidCulture. Chris brought it through personally.
                    Stranda probably, he said it's in the pipeline. It's a great for american hopped beers, I brought it in a few years ago ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      Try making a Stout with that. You might be surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      We did that at Africa Brew in 2019. Brewed a beer on Friday afternoon and it was on tap on Sunday morning. Fermentation was done sous vide style in a Grainfather @ 40 deg C. Once it hit target gravity and was given a few hours to reach ambient, it was cold crashed @ 1 degree till the next morning. Strong notes of overripe orange as expected, but perfectly fine to drink. Used the then-new cultivar of Kveik from LiquidCulture. Chris brought it through personally.
                      So, I wasn't wrong afterall..

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        Try making a Stout with that. You might be surprised.
                        I might just do that. Since I dont have a new keg fridge yet, I'm only working from 1 keg ... Might as well fill the other with a stout and let it sit at room temp
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I did 7 days grain to glass @40 degrees, could have used a few more days IMO. Definitely drinkable but definitely tasted rushed

Comment

Working...
                          X