Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottling: Carbonation VS Conditioning temperature

Good day,

I'm following recipes from Greg Hughes's book Home Brew Beer. Every recipe has an ideal fermentation temperature and a conditioning temperature (and duration). For example I am brewing a Wheat beer where the fermentation temperature is specified at 24 degrees Celsius and conditioning 3 weeks at 12 degrees.

I've recently acquired a chest freezer with temperature regulator so it possible to set the ideal environment.

However, I am worried if adequate carbonation will take place at lower conditioning temperature?

Do I:
    a) Simply bottle after fermentation (2 weeks) and condition (3 weeks) at 12 degrees as per recipe? or
    b) Bottle as in (a), but leave it at room temperature for a few days before conditioning it further at 12 degrees?

If (b), is there a rule of thumb how long?

Ps: I'm using dextrose as priming sugar.

Thank you

@Iaan Roux Welcome
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

In the bottle in a dark place at room temp should be fine .....

I cant see what the 12ºC would bring to the table?

How many recipes in that book have these low conditioning temps ? Do they say why?

PS: you could have carbonated beer within 2 days if you use Kveik yeast
      JIGSAW
      Last edited by JIGSAW; 20 January 2021, 16:28.

Comment

I do option b for about a week or 2 or 3 - depending on the ambient temperature and fridge space, then pop them back into fridge when fridge space allows.
        I have had good carbonated beers, even after 2 days with kveik voss. Beers I have left in the fridge are good. Beers I left in the garage at 35°C, then 1hr in the freezer are also good. I don't think there are rock solid rules re this. Basically anything goes and will be fine.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome @JISAW

Comment

All the recipes have different conditioning VS fermentation temperatures. See some examples below.
            The only refence to conditioning temp is just above the chart. No explanation why the they differ.
            See the Lager: Ready to drink in 5 weeks, fermentation at 12 degrees and conditioning 4 weeks at 3 degrees
            Then a Kveik ready to drink in 3 weeks
            Lastly and IPA: Ferment at 20 degrees and condition for 12 weeks at 12 degrees.

I assume the book includes the carbonation in the conditioning period?

Any ideas?

beer_recipes.jpeg

Comment

At those Temps it cant be for carbonation. It has to be an aging process. Sounds unnecessary. 3 weeks for a kveik is OVERKILL as you've seen on other threads

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Iaan Roux View Post
                All the recipes have different conditioning VS fermentation temperatures. See some examples below.
                The only refence to conditioning temp is just above the chart. No explanation why the they differ.
                See the Lager: Ready to drink in 5 weeks, fermentation at 12 degrees and conditioning 4 weeks at 3 degrees
                Then a Kveik ready to drink in 3 weeks
                Lastly and IPA: Ferment at 20 degrees and condition for 12 weeks at 12 degrees.

I assume the book includes the carbonation in the conditioning period?

Any ideas?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2988[/ATTACH]
                Based on that, I would ignore the recommendations in all cases. An IPA will be well past it's prime before you even open your first bottle.

I would prime and bottle and then put back at the ideal fermenting temp (if possible) for 7 to 10 days, then cool store most beers (again, if possible) at 1 to 4 deg for as long as they last.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                  Based on that, I would ignore the recommendations in all cases. An IPA will be well past it's prime before you even open your first bottle.

I would prime and bottle and then put back at the ideal fermenting temp (if possible) for 7 to 10 days, then cool store most beers (again, if possible) at 1 to 4 deg for as long as they last.
                  I'm with Lang on this one. Don't trust what those recipes say. The Kveik ales says to ferment at 20 and condition at 10? Ok.... if you like waiting longer to reach your FG and enjoy flat beer.
                  The temp range for Omega Voss is specified at 22-36°C!!

https://omegayeast.com/yeast/norwegian-kveik/voss-kveik

When it comes to yeast, lower temps = slower ferments/conditioning. Go below a certain temp and the yeast goes into hibernation.
                  On the flip side, higher = faster but go too high then you will end up with fusal alcohols and off flavours - nobody wants that in their beer
                  CaPunT
                  Last edited by CaPunT; 20 January 2021, 22:57.

Comment

I'm with the others - carbonate at the optimum temp for your yeast - normally a week or 2 will do (depending on the yeast)
                    Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

I'm also thinking that a lot of the books are written with a naustalgic tense to it.. meaning that in the old days 'they' brewed beers in winter, then stored (lagered) in a cave to be drunk in summer.

Probably the text of books are copied and altered from another source from a 1960's book and adjusted to suit modern trends. Times and producs have changed. As an example - DMS in malted barley today is almost non existent - hence there is no need to boil pilsner malt for 90mins - tho any recipe you read still shows the 90min boil for pilsner malt... why? coz it's been copied from a older recipe. My suggestion is - read the recipe as a guide, then read the (yeast/hops/malt) manufacturers instructions and use common sense. Prost

Comment

Skol
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Alex, here you go: https://brulosophy.com/projects/exbeeriments/

I have simplified a lot of my processes due to these experiments, a lot of these nostalgic myths are dispelled via his 'exBEERiments'...

What is comes down to is this: Make beer, drink beer - it is f*cking difficult to screw up if you stick to constant mashing and fermentation temperatures.

Comment

Lots of interesting reading there. Thanks

Comment

There you go Iaan Roux looks like we all in agreement "fnck what the book says"

Comment

Working...
                              X