Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PET Kegs

Anyone used PET kegs for home brewing?

I am in the fortunate position where I have some friends with kegging systems (non-brewers) and they have asked me to make some beer for them as they have been without draught for the last year or so. I don't want to use my own 50l kegs as I only have 2 and they are for my own use.

The problem I have with the PET kegs are:

1. How do I fill them? Connect my G-Type coupler and siphon the beer from the beer-out connector into the keg?
    2. How do I carbonate them? The kegs can hold 6bar of pressure, so at 15psi it should be fine?

Any ideas?

it's a single use keg :-(

Comment

Yup, no worries about it being a single use keg, they will carry the cost. They cannot get their hands on any empty stainless kegs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
        Yup, no worries about it being a single use keg, they will carry the cost. They cannot get their hands on any empty stainless kegs.
        Why not? ... Plenty places that still sell them ....

otherwise plenty 2nd hands available on FB marketplace
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

1.I could never figure out if the coupler/spear was designed to be easily removable/ re-useable, but I imagine it must be. So you could fill it with that off or through the coupler if you have the right tubing and fittings
          2. Yes 15psi is fine (~1bar) Carbonate like you would any other kegs. I think they are 'mainly' available in A type from the ones I have seen, but they seem to be listed with most coupler options.

I wonder how many uses you can REALLY get out of them
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
            I wonder how many uses you can REALLY get out of them
            Not sure, but I can imagine it's a PITA to clean them after use...

I just want to fill the PET Keg, give it to a friend and forget about it..
            Dewald Posthumus
            Last edited by Dewald Posthumus; 22 January 2021, 10:56.

Comment

Redhook releases details of fatal keg explosion - News - seacoastonline.com - Portsmouth, NH

I'll just leave this here..

Comment

Hmm, Steel kegs have a max operating pressure of 3 bar, PET kegs have the same rating. Home brewers carbonate at 1 bar, I can't see the issue here.

The link just talks about a plastic keg that was returned, PET kegs are single use, so my logic tells me that is was not a PET keg?

Comment

No sure. I'll leave this here too: https://stateimpact.npr.org/new-hamp...keg-explosion/

Just like homemade beer is poisonous: https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news...lockdown-2020/

What I'm pondering is what aspect of it actually limits it to single use. Like expiry dates on car seats range from 5 years to 15 years cos its not based on tangible science.

EDIT. But anyway, the point of this thread... I reckon apart from the single use, its the same as a steel keg to fill etc
                  Langchop
                  Last edited by Langchop; 22 January 2021, 09:00.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hmm, Steel kegs have a max operating pressure of 3 bar, PET kegs have the same rating. Home brewers carbonate at 1 bar, I can't see the issue here.

The link just talks about a plastic keg that was returned, PET kegs are single use, so my logic tells me that is was not a PET keg?
                    I believe a corny is rated at 130PSI, probably about 9 bar. Burst pressure and commercial kegs are probably much higher. But the 3 bar is still well above what you would carbonate at (just dont try quick carbing as per onther active thread ), but a relatively low safety factor
                    Langchop
                    Last edited by Langchop; 22 January 2021, 09:09.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

a few things
                      - selling alcohol without a license is a one way ticket to sadness. dont do it
                      - pressure vessels are rated for a reason, stainless does have a bit of longevity compared to pet. something about the material it's made from is not quite 1:1
                      - people are idiots, if this fellow blows his head off trying to get his illegally bought beer out, it's on you.
                      - if you brew a 'renowned iron rich' beer and this bloke has health issues and carks it, you're responsible
                      - it's not worth it. if this is a good mate, let him come and bottle/enjoy his free beer at your place

Comment

Good advice, that is exactly what they have been doing, but now they want me to share. Will ponder a bit more...

Comment

Good advice, that is exactly what they have been doing, but now they want me to share. Will ponder a bit more...

Don't get involved.

There's enough places selling the wort and enough selling the hardware ... they can sort themselves. Friends don't come visit when you land your a$$ in jail.
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Just FYI, the owner of Brewhogs almost died a few years back when the spear exited a keg he was opening on the pressure pad wasn't degassed/vented/whatever. He stood over the keg, removed the spear and it shot out, cracking and denting in his skull. He showed me.

Kegs are scary, yo. Then again so are bottles and carboys.

Comment

Lol toxxyc.. bottles are dangerous business. How's your battle wound these days?

Comment

Working...
                              X