Cali common aka steam beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    Snowflake? Buddy, ask Toxxyc or Benson if you're poking a bear or not.
    Why should I ask Toxyc or Benson? What's the point? Also, who's Benson?
    Anyway, the "snowflake" wasn't really aimed at you, but if you choose to take offence / the shoe fits...
    I also didn't allude to "bear" and I don't know how your chapter of bears work (I did ask) Urbandictionary has an interesting definition and it fits into the worshog narrative. Anyway I can go on and on, but it's clear there's no fat in this biltong.
    You're an old hand around here and I thought we could have a bit of back and forth for shits and giggles, I didn't think for one second that you're an overly sensitive guy.
    No harm intended, sorry if you took offence

Comment

Or do you mean no harhm intended.

Wrong place. Wrong time but I couldn't help it

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        You're an old hand around here and I thought we could have a bit of back and forth for shits and giggles, I didn't think for one second that you're an overly sensitive guy.
        No harm intended, sorry if you took offence
        Without having had much previous banter, it was difficult to determine if you were having a dig or not.

No harm done.

Comment

Without having had much previous banter, it was difficult to determine if you were having a dig or not.

No harm done.

All good, all good !

getting a bit back on the cali common topic; have you ever considered crystal rye, say 5%, in a cali common? it kinda flies in the face of it, but it could lend an interesting taste to the spiciness of northern brewer? i made one last sunday and am keen to check the taste

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post

All good, all good !

getting a bit back on the cali common topic; have you ever considered crystal rye, say 5%, in a cali common? it kinda flies in the face of it, but it could lend an interesting taste to the spiciness of northern brewer? i made one last sunday and am keen to check the taste
            No. Cali Common is a direct derivative of a lager recipe brewed at ale temps. Unless we are talking a rogbier, I'd say the flavour profile would be plain wrong.

CaraAroma, on the other hand.............

Comment

No. Cali Common is a direct derivative of a lager recipe brewed at ale temps. Unless we are talking a rogbier, I'd say the flavour profile would be plain wrong.

CaraAroma, on the other hand.............

Yeah, certainly not on style with this experimental cali common based brew.
              I was itching to get rid of the last crystal rye and subbed 5%f of the total cara with it. I'm not a big fan of rye, since my rye-ipa some time ago, although the crystal rye could add some interesting notes to a cali. Those roggenbeers go 50%+ in rye so not quite a direct comparison

Comment

Got one of these to try out thanks to this thread

https://friarshabit.co.za/product/ca...-x-340ml-pack/

Comment

What a delicious beer just cracked one open - adds to beers to brew list

Comment

I eventually got to make this one... only 4 months late

I used the brulosophy recipe but with a change in yeast:

Them:
                    WLP810 – San Francisco Lager which works in 14-18C so they used a step fermentation starting at 14 ramping up to 18

Me:
                    Mangrove jack M54 cali lager yeast with operating temp of 18-20C

What do you chaps suggest for fermentation... a week at 18 and then 0.5 daily step-ups after that?

EDIT: It reached 18 degrees so I chucked it in. Let's see what happens.
                    BruHaha
                    Last edited by BruHaha; 8 April 2021, 19:57.

Comment

I'd give it 5 days at 18°C and then a 0.5°C ramp for 5 more days, leaving there until it's done. From there I'll leave it for a day or three more to make sure it's cleaned up well, and then I'll cold crash and leave it there for a week, fine with gelatin, leave on the gelatin for a week before either racking into a lagering cube or bottling/kegging. It's a slight variation on how I do my lagers these days and they all work REALLY well. I'm also over the months long lagering thing completely. Yes it makes a difference, but it's minute. I'll only do really special brews with a long lagering these days.

Comment

Have done a couple of cali commons using M54.
                        M54 is designed to ferment at ale temps and to ferment quicker like ale yeast.
                        After 10 days at 18C cold crashed for 3 days.
                        Bottled
                        Conditioned for 14 days.
                        Drank.
                        Both turned out great.
                        But that is just me, to much of a beerholic to wait very long for a beer.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Thanks chaps.. gonna do a combination

8 Apr 2021 — Primary — 18 °C — 10 days
                          22 Apr 2021 — Primary — 20 °C (4 day ramp) — 0 days
                          22 Apr 2021 — Primary — 2 °C — 3 days

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                            fine with gelatin, leave on the gelatin for a week before either racking into a lagering cube or bottling/kegging.
                            Pardon my nonchalance.. where do I buy and apply this fining w gelatin. I did google and after clicking here .. reading this, clicking there.. reading that, repeat. I wasn't getting anywhere realy.

EDIT: I see BG don't stock gelatin .. dischem, supermarket ?
                            AlexBrew
                            Last edited by AlexBrew; 12 April 2021, 19:43.

Comment

Supermarket. Unflavoured gelatin

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.woolworths.co.za/prod/Fo...-6009173755346

Comment

Thx

Comment

Working...
                                X