Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    Haha! Its bound to happen sometime.
    Easiest way to avoid that is to use a neodymium magnet to grab the bar and pull it up closer to the neck, just leave it attached to the magnet when you pour and the stir bar will stay there.
    And there you have it, there is always some other guy who comes up with a simple yet brilliant solution to your own rookie mistake - *facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
      And there you have it, there is always some other guy who comes up with a simple yet brilliant solution to your own rookie mistake - *facepalm*
      Till the magnet and sbar falls in.. then you are stuffed.

Comment

Luckily I bought 4

Comment

Another rookie mistake I made with Ehrlenmeyer flask is to not to make 100% sure the outside of the flask is completely dry before putting on gas stove.

Made a very small (and horrifying) ping sound couple of minutes later - one cracked flask.

Therefore ANY type of glass equipment used in brewery - have a spare one.

Comment

Originally posted by jay95 View Post
            Another rookie mistake I made with Ehrlenmeyer flask is to not to make 100% sure the outside of the flask is completely dry before putting on gas stove.

Made a very small (and horrifying) ping sound couple of minutes later - one cracked flask.

Therefore ANY type of glass equipment used in brewery - have a spare one.
            I didn't even know that ... luckily I've never used mine like that ...

I did however add boiling wort straight from the kettle ... is that ok?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I think that depends on the flask. I use a Duran flask and go straight from boiling into cold water and have never had an issue.
              I still do get nervous though every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                I was also collecting parts to build one then rather got this ZAR 96.36 5%OFF | Magnetic Stirrer Mixer INTLLAB 3000rpm AC100-240V Homebrew Liquid
                https://a.aliexpress.com/_vBuAUv

Delivery was within 2 weeks
                I am looking into this, says delivery by 20 July.. ouch. Did you also use the free method and when did you order? Also with what did it arrive, post office or something else?

Comment

Is a stirplate really required. I have made many a starter with great success without the use of a stirplate.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

No. A shaking starter is also a valid option. A stirplate though forces more oxygen into the starter and results in a bigger yeast cell count at pitch. You can make a 2l starter for a lager using a stirplate, for example, but you can't do it with shaking. You have to go bigger, up to 3l for the same yeast cell count at pitch.

Comment

magnetic stirrer makes a massive difference. use the below calculator and see what the difference is between shaking, stirrer and none. if you are going to be growing yeast, the investment in a DIY stirrer is worthwhile as the ROI is massive in saved time and effort.

Yeast Pitch Calculator | MoreBeer

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                        I am looking into this, says delivery by 20 July.. ouch. Did you also use the free method and when did you order? Also with what did it arrive, post office or something else?
                        I thought it would take a long time. To my surprise I got a message 2 weeks after the order to collect a parcel at a pep branch. Looks like the seller used buffalo. Hardly any sellers on Ali do this so I was very happy. Was free shipping

Comment

Being cooler now I would actually like one the heats the plate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                            magnetic stirrer makes a massive difference. use the below calculator and see what the difference is between shaking, stirrer and none. if you are going to be growing yeast, the investment in a DIY stirrer is worthwhile as the ROI is massive in saved time and effort.

Yeast Pitch Calculator | MoreBeer
                            Ok, so I make a starter from harvested yeast, pitch in wort and the yeast performance is just as good as if it was a fresh packet of yeast, so I am quite satisfied with this.
                            I am however thinking of starting a yeast bank some time in the future, in this case I agree I stir plate will definately be a great benefit.
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                              Ok, so I make a starter from harvested yeast, pitch in wort and the yeast performance is just as good as if it was a fresh packet of yeast, so I am quite satisfied with this.
                              I am however thinking of starting a yeast bank some time in the future, in this case I agree I stir plate will definately be a great benefit.
                              Starters kick off fermentation so fast and a lot stronger as well.
                              I mostly always do a starter now unless I forget then just use a dry pack.

Stir plate is ideal though as you know it's going all the time and you don't need to worry about shaking it.

Comment

I used my home build stirplate (see first posts in this thread) for my centenial blonde a month or what back. At the time I saved some newly built yeast in a small vial and piched the rest onto my wort. I have since used the slurry from the blonde for my killer hop pale ale.

After the KH brew, I bought a 2 litre erlenmeyer flash from Beerlab (R285) and built another yeast starter from the previous saved yeast, which I decanted into 4x 25ml vials (vials suggested by Toxxyc).
                                20210504_121639.jpg
                                Now I have got fresh uncontaminated yeast for my next brews.

I've started to dislike the idea of repitching used yeast from a brew for the next - in case of any infection will get inherited to the next brew. This way I'm doing it now, I will always have fresh yeast on hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X