Immersion chiller's chiller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immersion chiller's chiller.

I found this old gas geyser and stripped it, then came accross this heating radiator inside.. and thought .. I can make a like pre-chiller from this for the immersioin chiller.
    20210331_172258.jpg
    Those 12cm fans fit almost perfectly indide .. but not quite.

EDIT: I've got a 6" 12v old motorbike fan, it goes like it wants to take off. That would be the best performance choice.. but that 12v adapter just hasn't got enough umph to turn that fan. When I connect it to my bakkie's battery, then it spins bedonnered.

Then I guess can look for a 220v fan. China Town should have those?

EDIT: How much temp reduction will I get from that?
    I'm guessing .. a least some.. better than nothing.
    AlexBrew
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 31 March 2021, 21:35.

The efficiency of the cooling will depend on the temp differential. Do you plan on recirculating the hot water from the immersion chiller back through this pre chiller to cool it back down? Is so, then I think air temps would cool down quite a bit. If you're wanting to cool down tap water, then perhaps consider placing that radiator in a bucket of ice water?

Comment

Was about to suggest doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoo1T6G42E&t=418s

I picked this up yesterday at ardendorf works great - DONT SKIMP ON THE PUMP

https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...le-water-pump/

MY IC has a few kinks in - I get about 4.2L a minute should be more if there are no kinks and thicker piping is used

Comment

Dump that radiator into salted ice water. Better than a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
          Smart. Using saains is usually a cool idea, and in this case, it literally is.

Comment

Ok cool, will try that then,
            I've tried using ice in a bucket before with a larger immersion style coil chiller (before I joined the 2 chillers together - there is a post somewhere about this build) but found I need to buy 10 bags of ice @R6 = R60 just for ice .. then people complain a packet of yeast is expensive.. haha
            I could possibly make my own ice .. mm or get cold water from my cold crash chest freezer. stick a bucket of water in there day before a brew.. sounds like an idea.
            Ok - now what do I do with them 2 fans?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
              Ok cool, will try that then,
              I've tried using ice in a bucket before with a larger immersion style coil chiller (before I joined the 2 chillers together - there is a post somewhere about this build) but found I need to buy 10 bags of ice @R6 = R60 just for ice .. then people complain a packet of yeast is expensive.. haha
              I could possibly make my own ice .. mm or get cold water from my cold crash chest freezer. stick a bucket of water in there day before a brew.. sounds like an idea.
              Ok - now what do I do with them 2 fans?
              I just get cheap lunch boxes or a bucket and freeze that 10l at a time if you can obviously - build a yeast starter project with the fans

Comment

Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                I just get cheap lunch boxes or a bucket and freeze that 10l at a time if you can obviously - build a yeast starter project with the fans

Yea .. or freeze 2litre soda bottles / 1.5 litre water bottles and dunk them in the pre chilling water bucket.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                Why salted water ? why not plain fresh water ?

Comment

Salted water freezes at a lower temperature, so your liquid in contact with the radiator will be at a lower temperature than regular water.

Also, I have a whole freezer drawer full of frozen 2l water bottles for distilling. It's not hard to keep it

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    Yea .. or freeze 2litre soda bottles / 1.5 litre water bottles and dunk them in the pre chilling water bucket.

- - - Updated - - -

Why salted water ? why not plain fresh water ?
                    https://sciencing.com/adding-salt-wa...r-5459114.html
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

It would be interesting to see the temperature drop across the pre-chiller in ice water with tap wide open.

At the stage where I'm cooling the wort I'm really gatvol so I want to get the cooling done asap.

My current method is to run tapwater through immersion chiller into 25 liter bucket.

When this is full switch over to pump inside ice bucket and recirculate. The 25 liter of hot water useful for cleaning.

1 liter yoghurt tubs and 2 liter ice cream tubs make cheap ice blocks.

The trick for quick cooling is to move the chiller around in the brew kettle while keeping the kettle covered.

Next step for me is to Diy this thing : https://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-hydra

From boiling to pitching temp in couple of minutes, yes please!

Comment

Originally posted by jay95 View Post
                        It would be interesting to see the temperature drop across the pre-chiller in ice water with tap wide open.

At the stage where I'm cooling the wort I'm really gatvol so I want to get the cooling done asap.

My current method is to run tapwater through immersion chiller into 25 liter bucket.

When this is full switch over to pump inside ice bucket and recirculate. The 25 liter of hot water useful for cleaning.

1 liter yoghurt tubs and 2 liter ice cream tubs make cheap ice blocks.

The trick for quick cooling is to move the chiller around in the brew kettle while keeping the kettle covered.

Next step for me is to Diy this thing : https://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-hydra

From boiling to pitching temp in couple of minutes, yes please!
                        I use a re circulation pump - DIY grainfather setup currently.

I attach the outflow at an angle so it creates a whirlpool whilst chilling - no stirring required

Comment

Originally posted by jay95 View Post
                          It is intense. We use the swimming pool as a reservoir for the immersion chiller, but on a hot summer day the wort sort of gets stuck at around 25 degrees as the pool is a fair distance away and we get heat soak through the garden hose.
                          So then we run the water from the pool to a 100L stainless drum filled with ice and through its own copper coil and straight from there through the immersion chiller. Drops the wort to 18 degrees in minutes but the ice vanishes VERY fast.

Comment

Working...
                          X