No announcement yet.

Farmhouse Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you mind sharing pix of your crude press, if it works that well it could turn into a nice starter cider project

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I'd also like to see the press, please! Fruit presses are hellishly expensive...

EDIT: Also, you got 1.056 with just apple juice? That's REALLY impressive. I wouldn't ferment at that strength even, I'd water it down a tiny bit, maybe to around 1.045.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanoZA View Post
        Yield was 62%. My little press does work well. Not too bad for a quickly thrown together construction. 11.2l blended with the previous batch, gives about 23l of juice.
        The Saison yeast is working well. The airlock is bubbling away, dropping the temp down to 15deg for fermentation now.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk
        Great yield with your press, well done. I get slightly more but then I use a juicer.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

The Press
          I farm so have access to trees, mostly Pines and poplars. I cut a small grove of poplars about 3 years ago, so I've got some if the planks left, cut to various construction sizes. I also cut a few 112x112mm beams for my patio, but didn't use them, so they were used in the construction of the press, as well as some 112x40mm rafters.
          IMG_20210419_083334_7.jpg

I cut a sheep med container's bottom off and used it as a collector from the square container that had 13mm holes drilled in it. I found that the bottom of the collector deformed under pressure, so I cut a short length of rafter off, and used my radial arm saw to cut small pieces to allow the juice to flow under the collector. and flow out of a 25mm pipe fitting.

The plank on the top of the square container is the pressure plate. I used a jack to compress the apples, wrapped in cheese cloth, until there is no juice running out. Patience is called for, press a little at a time.
          The plans I used are attachedCider Press m.pdf

Comment

The Press
            I farm so have access to trees, mostly Pines and poplars. I cut a small grove of poplars about 3 years ago, so I've got some if the planks left, cut to various construction sizes. I also cut a few 112x112mm beams for my patio, but didn't use them, so they were used in the construction of the press, as well as some 112x40mm rafters.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3269[/ATTACH]

I cut a sheep med container's bottom off and used it as a collector from the square container that had 13mm holes drilled in it. I found that the bottom of the collector deformed under pressure, so I cut a short length of rafter off, and used my radial arm saw to cut small pieces to allow the juice to flow under the collector. and flow out of a 25mm pipe fitting.

The plank on the top of the square container is the pressure plate. I used a jack to compress the apples, wrapped in cheese cloth, until there is no juice running out. Patience is called for, press a little at a time.
            The plans I used are attached[ATTACH]3270[/ATTACH]
            Looks good, I need to make one of these sometime.
            Has it been 3 years since you cut that wood? I recall you had a woodmizer and you were going to tackle the Poplars.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
              Has it been 3 years since you cut that wood? I recall you had a woodmizer and you were going to tackle the Poplars.
              Can't really remember. Has been a while though. My patio stood up to the windstorms we get here. 3 of over 115kph last year, so my woodwork is good[emoji23]

Comment

Looked back at my photos, I cut the trees early in 2014, and built my patio in 2017

Comment

Looked back at my photos, I cut the trees early in 2014, and built my patio in 2017

Wow, cant believe its been that long.
                  I think it was on Bikehub that you mentioned wanting to cut some poplar and run them through a Woodmizer.

Comment

Wow, cant believe its been that long.
                    I think it was on Bikehub that you mentioned wanting to cut some poplar and run them through a Woodmizer.
                    Yeah it was. It's a Peterson, a swing blade sawmill, not a bandsaw like the Woodmizer

Last edited by DeanoZA; 25 April 2021, 09:16.

Comment

Bought some 20l cooler bottles and have transferred the cider to the bottles. It's sitting at a SG of 1,002. The funky flavours that I noticed after fermentation have gone. It has a lovely clean apple flavour.

Last edited by DeanoZA; 10 June 2021, 08:33.

Comment

^ i like the colour on that
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Bought some 20l cooler bottles and have transferred the cider to the bottles. It's sitting at a SG of 1,002. The funky flavours that I noticed after fermentation have gone. It has a lovely clean apple flavour.

That looks really good. Well done.

Comment

That looks really good. Well done.
                            Thanks, hope it tastes as good when it's done

Comment

Thanks, hope it tastes as good when it's done

Well, if it doesn't, you can always eat some eggs
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                Well, if it doesn't, you can always eat some eggs
                                I bought some chickens, and with my luck the things die and get eaten, so I over compensated, suddenly they are all laying, 9/10 eggs a day. My family is getting a bit tired of eating eggs.

Comment

Working...
                                X