Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using fruit in beer

I am thinking of making a beer with fruit in it.
    I have done quite a bit of research in this regard.

Anyone done this before, any recommendations, tips etc. will be welcome.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

What does your research say? Which fruits are you planning to use, that will also determine which tips you will receive.

Only tip I have is to only add fruit to a secondary fermenter, not primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    What does your research say? Which fruits are you planning to use, that will also determine which tips you will receive.

Only tip I have is to only add fruit to a secondary fermenter, not primary.
    I was watching David Heath's new grapefruit IPA video last night, he said the same thing, racking on to fruit/juice has to happen in secondary.
    If you dont want to use a secondary then you need a conical to dump the trub.

Do it after most of the primary fermentation is done.
    Add the fruit in a bag or something that you can pull after 3~5 days.
    I don't think I would. A juice concentrate in the keg is probably your best bet.

I must say, I have made my fair share of fruit beers.

Raspberry Weiss - dumped two tubs of Woollies raspberries into secondary - worked perfectly and came out great.
    Mango IPA - racked into secondary onto some Mango juice - was kak
    Grapefruit IPA - added GF juice to boil, and zest/ skin last 10 mins of boil - not too bad - you could definitely taste the GF.

If you are using something like Mango/ Peach or other stone fruit - peel the skin, cut into cubes, freeze and add frozen to secondary
    If you are using berries - add them to secondary as is
    If you are using citrus, don't bother with the juice, just use the zest/ skin - make sure there's no white pith on there. You can candy them if you really want to, but I think it will have the same effect. Your choice if you want to add to boil (last 10 minutes) or fermentation (secondary).

As a side note, you can get a lot of Grapefruit flavour from something like Riwaka hops, and Naartjie/ Tangerine from Mandarina Bavaria. I'm over adding fruit to beer to be honest.

Just about tried everything else, so thought I would give fruit a try.
    Thinking of an IPA with mango and / or grapefruit.
    Will definetaly add to secondary.
    My idea was to juice it using the juicer, pasteurize and then freeze till use.
    Fruit will be peeled and pips removed before juicing.

Hmm ok,

I would do for something like a Grapefruit IPA, use GF zest by adding to the boil, then Riwaka hops to dry hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Hmm ok,

I would do for something like a Grapefruit IPA, use GF zest by adding to the boil, then Riwaka hops to dry hop.

Don't have Riwaka, will most likly use Southern Passion.

I've actually made the decision to not ever add fruit to beer purely on what I've read about those that tried it.
    Many say they will not attempt it again, even those that said the end product was ok.

There's a time for fruit, and during a rugby match with the fire going is not it
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

There's this whole sour and fruit craze in brewing that I've just completely missed the bus on. Maybe I'll catch on a year late but I just don't think so

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk