Mashing Hydrometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashing Hydrometer

A few of the YT channels I follow have been talking about this "new" hydrometer for mash times ....

CALIBRATED AT 155 Degrees Fahrenheit​【68°C】 to use during the Mashing Process
    LINK
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Any reason a refractometer can't be used? It takes seconds to cool down a couple of drops of the mash liquid before checking it on the refractometer. Or am I missing something?

Although, that is pretty cool. My first reaction was I want one, then I thought of my refractometer.

Comment

Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
      Any reason a refractometer can't be used? It takes seconds to cool down a couple of drops of the mash liquid before checking it on the refractometer. Or am I missing something?

Although, that is pretty cool. My first reaction was I want one, then I thought of my refractometer.
      No, that's what i also use

Comment

Thats pretty cool tbh!! and not a bad price, though I know shipping and customs will make it hurt.

Comment

Yea, lets see the price when LHBS start stocking them

Comment

Will always use my ATC refractometer. I never bother to check FG.

Comment

I know I always cool my mash down to measure, but thinking about it. Can't you just compensate for the higher temps with the online calculator whilst using a normal hydrometer?

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                I know I always cool my mash down to measure, but thinking about it. Can't you just compensate for the higher temps with the online calculator whilst using a normal hydrometer?
                Apparently the warm mash loosens the glue on the paper inside the glass tube and it starts to move?

Not sure how much of a myth this is and how the new one is different then

Comment

Never taken a reading of my mash and do not plan to.
                  I have no clue as to my mash effeciency and don't care about it, only interested in overall effeciency.
                  I take a reading just before pitching and once more when I think fermentation as about finished.
                  More than happy with my process and doing it this way.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

The further away from calibration temp, the less accurate the hydrometer is. I wouldn't use it. Use a refractometer if you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                      The further away from calibration temp, the less accurate the hydrometer is. I wouldn't use it. Use a refractometer if you have to.

Sure what you say is true, there is however a chart that gives you the adjustment.
                      I suppose it depoends on the person, each to hos own. I prefer the hydrometer, if slightly out I don't care.
                      I try and keep it simple.

Comment

No I'm saying the hotter it gets, the more inaccurate the reading is, no matter what the correction chart says. Remember small changes gets magnified over the temperature spectrum.

Comment

Ok misunderstood.
                          No issues then my wort readings are at room temp.

Comment

Working...
                          X