Urn element replacement

Looks like the Urn element gave up the ghost, So I will be replacing the element tomorrow.

Anyone know where I can pick up a new element?

I know less than nothing about elements so not sure if it could be something else, boil dry? anyone know how to verify it it is the element that's busted?

Seen some on Takealot I belive. Otherwise maybe builders or the like might have.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.
    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
    He put the wort into there,
    to cut down on the air.
    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

I have less than "less than nothing"
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Get a cheap multimeter to check it first. Worthy investment. Or connect power wires direct to element, turn on at plug for a few seconds, then unplug and check if it's warm
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Get a cheap multimeter to check it first. Worthy investment. Or connect power wires direct to element, turn on at plug for a few seconds, then unplug and check if it's warm
    yep, especially if you've still got an integrated thermostat or if the urn controller has a overload switch still installed?

Tested that first. Its dead as a door nail. It doesnt heat up at all. builders is a bust but looks like okovango electrical isnthebplace.

Will also get a multimeter while there thanks for the tip

Sucks.. time for an upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by PaBz0r View Post
    Sucks.. time for an upgrade?
    haha with the amount of money I spent on the DIY, I would be lying if I didnt say the Grainfather would have been cheaper...

But Anyways.. just a final update on this. you can get a replacement element from Brights hardware in CPT for R287.00.

and lastly the reason why I burned out my element is due to crush size.. you know how everyone says finer is better with Biab..

Well I guess up too a point that is the case but after if you have to much flour it will bury your element lead to a burned out element. I spent litterally two minutes calibrating my mill this morning and no issues.. I also feel like my system is running better.

Anyways.. we brew on.. my hefe is busy mashing!!

....and? .... was brewday a success?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Mill gap needs to be slightly tighter for wheat. Some of the kernels came through whole. I ended up mashing for 2 hours to get my pre-boil SG on the dot.

System ran significantly better, element came out perfectly clean, a huge suprise for a hefe.

Going forward I will mill wheat and barley seperate.

One day in the distant future I will make a hefe that Im happy with.