X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    30min boil Columbus/Cascade IPA

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1842[/ATTACH]
    Looks good, and with that combo I am sure tastes top notch. Your synopsis?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• ^ My recipe
      Screenshot_3.jpg

It's based off of the Sierra Nevada Resilience IPA:
      11 lbs (4 990 g)˜ 2 Row
      1.25 lb (567 g)˜ 60L

1 oz (28 g)˜ Centennial 80 min
      1 oz (28 g)˜ Centennial 15 min
      1 oz (28 g)˜ Cascade 15 min
      .5 oz (14 g)˜ Centennial 0 min
      .5 oz (14 g)˜ Cascade 0 min

US-05 Safale Yeast
      Dryhops 1/2 oz (14 g)˜ Cascade
      Dryhops 1/2 oz (14 g)˜ Centennial

This is definitely a hop forward beer and the bitterness of the ±61 IBU's hits you on the first sip .... I'm all for it, altho the rest of the family are not lovers of this one's bitter citrus & grapefruit notes

I find myself quickly wanting another sip seconds after swallowing the previous ... This is what they call a "basic old school" American IPA and I'm so impressed, that the next batch is already at the end of fermentation

I omitted 1kg Pale for 1kg wheat in the second batch.
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Jigsaw... It's not always a bad thing if those around you aren't keen on your beer and you love it

IMG_20190111_122704.jpg
        My Christmas Spicy Pale Ale. Certainly not clearing up, but I am impressed. The spiciness and the bitter bite have mellowed and it's developed a nice persistent bright white head. I expected it would go there other way.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          30min boil Columbus/Cascade IPA

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1842[/ATTACH]
          Great looking beer

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

I find myself quickly wanting another sip seconds after swallowing the previous ...

To me that's the sign that its a great bear, no matter what the flavours are
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• First attempt at a NEIPA... delicious, bags of stone fruit flavour, just enough bitterness to know it's an IPA.

img_20190113_181405.jpg

Comment

• Looks Good!
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Had my first NEIPA the other day. WOW. Such a nice beer! But I'll have to get a few more BIAB sessions before attempting this one. The specific beer had a 256g hop bill! [emoji45]

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• My hop bill was about the same...

Comment

• Check out the gigantic ginormous, around 500g hop schedule, pea soup!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm surprised how well this beer turned out its a 1.8 % abv Session Cream Ale.
                      Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 20 February 2019, 10:18.
                      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Looks great Harhm

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                        Had my first NEIPA the other day. WOW. Such a nice beer! But I'll have to get a few more BIAB sessions before attempting this one. The specific beer had a 256g hop bill! [emoji45]

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
                        You should give it a try. I think hoppy beers are actually easier as the aromas and flavours can hide a lot of subtle flaws.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                          To me that's the sign that its a great bear, no matter what the flavours are
                          or the sign of an alcoholic...

Comment

• Version 2 of my house Pale Ale. Recipe still in development.

Pleasant fruity (tropical) aroma and flavour from the dry-hops. Quite a strong backbone bitterness with dry finish. Perfectly clean fermentation and I cannot pick out any unwanted compounds. Carbonation definitely not flat however a tad low of what I would have wanted.. Slight haze, after 3 weeks in the bottle, it will be fine with a bit more time.

OG 1.042. FG 1.006. ABV 4.7%. IBU 31.7. 6.2 SRM.

Batch Size - 40L
                            7.5kg Pilsner Malt
                            400g Aromatic Malt
                            80g Crystal 40L
                            30g Caraffa II

CoJ water treated with Campden and Phosphoric acid for Mash Ph adjustment. 60m Boil. 12g J17 & 12g Southern Passion @ 40m. 12g J17 & 12g Southern Passion @ Flame-out. IBU adjusted for No-Chill.

13g J17 & 13g Southern Passion Dry-hopped for 5 days.
                            US-05 fermented at 16 degrees C.

Pale Ale 1.jpgPale Ale 2.jpg

With regards to hop combinations, I preferred the J17 on it's own vs the combo of J17 and Southern Passion. Unfortunately can't taste them side-by-side so relying on memory. The Southern Passion seems to be bringing a lot of tropical fruit flavours that doesn't pop as well as the J17 and not exactly what I have in mind for this beer. Though it's nice, I think this combo could work better for a NEIPA. Will then use significantly more hops though. My next variation on the Pale Ale might have only J17 again or some combination with a US hop as Dry-hop. Could increase the caramel malt also slightly and will change the Pilsner Malt to Pale Ale/Marris Otter - used the Pilsner mostly just because it was on hand.

Very drinkable beer but not a lawnmower beer as the IBU/GU is sitting at 0.75, making it fairly bitter. Wonder if the rest of you guys have the same opinion on the Southern Passion...?
                            The Flying Brew
                            Last edited by The Flying Brew; 3 March 2019, 14:32.

Comment

• Digital IPA (yeastie boys clone)
                              Kegged yesterday, can do with a little more carbonation, but the 60IBU NZ hops are shining. 6.2 ABV

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Looking good guys
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X