Page 77 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer pics

Looks great Harhm

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Had my first NEIPA the other day. WOW. Such a nice beer! But I'll have to get a few more BIAB sessions before attempting this one. The specific beer had a 256g hop bill!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
    You should give it a try. I think hoppy beers are actually easier as the aromas and flavours can hide a lot of subtle flaws.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    To me that's the sign that its a great bear, no matter what the flavours are
    or the sign of an alcoholic...

Version 2 of my house Pale Ale. Recipe still in development.

Pleasant fruity (tropical) aroma and flavour from the dry-hops. Quite a strong backbone bitterness with dry finish. Perfectly clean fermentation and I cannot pick out any unwanted compounds. Carbonation definitely not flat however a tad low of what I would have wanted.. Slight haze, after 3 weeks in the bottle, it will be fine with a bit more time.

OG 1.042. FG 1.006. ABV 4.7%. IBU 31.7. 6.2 SRM.

Batch Size - 40L
    7.5kg Pilsner Malt
    400g Aromatic Malt
    80g Crystal 40L
    30g Caraffa II

CoJ water treated with Campden and Phosphoric acid for Mash Ph adjustment. 60m Boil. 12g J17 & 12g Southern Passion @ 40m. 12g J17 & 12g Southern Passion @ Flame-out. IBU adjusted for No-Chill.

13g J17 & 13g Southern Passion Dry-hopped for 5 days.
    US-05 fermented at 16 degrees C.

Pale Ale 1.jpgPale Ale 2.jpg

With regards to hop combinations, I preferred the J17 on it's own vs the combo of J17 and Southern Passion. Unfortunately can't taste them side-by-side so relying on memory. The Southern Passion seems to be bringing a lot of tropical fruit flavours that doesn't pop as well as the J17 and not exactly what I have in mind for this beer. Though it's nice, I think this combo could work better for a NEIPA. Will then use significantly more hops though. My next variation on the Pale Ale might have only J17 again or some combination with a US hop as Dry-hop. Could increase the caramel malt also slightly and will change the Pilsner Malt to Pale Ale/Marris Otter - used the Pilsner mostly just because it was on hand.

Very drinkable beer but not a lawnmower beer as the IBU/GU is sitting at 0.75, making it fairly bitter. Wonder if the rest of you guys have the same opinion on the Southern Passion...?
    Last edited by The Flying Brew; 3rd March 2019 at 14:32.

Digital IPA (yeastie boys clone)
    Kegged yesterday, can do with a little more carbonation, but the 60IBU NZ hops are shining. 6.2 ABV

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Looking good guys
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

You guys are making me thirsty
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Great looking beers guys

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Brew View Post

With regards to hop combinations, I preferred the J17 on it's own vs the combo of J17 and Southern Passion. Unfortunately can't taste them side-by-side so relying on memory. The Southern Passion seems to be bringing a lot of tropical fruit flavours that doesn't pop as well as the J17 and not exactly what I have in mind for this beer. Though it's nice, I think this combo could work better for a NEIPA. Will then use significantly more hops though. My next variation on the Pale Ale might have only J17 again or some combination with a US hop as Dry-hop.

Very drinkable beer but not a lawnmower beer as the IBU/GU is sitting at 0.75, making it fairly bitter. Wonder if the rest of you guys have the same opinion on the Southern Passion...?
    You are 100% right. For me J17 and S.Passion used to go well together until I started mixing things up a little.

To my taste J17 produced slightly fresher cleaner fruits (Litchi flavours sometimes with hints of mango) when S.passion produced Tropical (Granadilla with some pine flavours) but as a combination the distinct flavours sort of muddled into one less distinguishable fruity/tropical flavour. Maybe they are too much alike except for the higher pine and citrus flavours of S.passion

I decided to mix it up a little and started with S.Passion/Amarillo that was also good but produced a beer along the same lines as the J17/S.Passion combo.

Its when I paired Cascade with S.Passion or J17 and also combined Centennial with S.Passion or J17 when the magic started to happen for me.

My current favourites are S.Passion/Cascade brewed with SO-05 for a IPA for a stronger robust hop character.
    and J17/Centennial with Kveik bringing a bit more citrus to the game for a bit more balance but slightly hoppy Blonde.
    Last edited by Harhm; 4th March 2019 at 13:26.
    I value your experience more than your opinion - You could but you shouldn't - You should but I wouldn't - Time is on your side, never rush a beer - Have fun, its only beer - Don't believe all the crap you read on the www

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Great looking beers guys

You are 100% right. For me J17 and S.Passion used to go well together until I started mixing things up a little.

To my taste J17 produced slightly fresher cleaner fruits (Litchi flavours sometimes with hints of mango) when S.passion produced Tropical (Granadilla with some pine flavours) but as a combination the distinct flavours sort of muddled into one less distinguishable fruity/tropical flavour. Maybe they are too much alike except for the higher pine and citrus flavours of S.passion

I decided to mix it up a little and started with S.Passion/Amarillo that was also good but produced a beer along the same lines as the J17/S.Passion combo.

Its when I paired Cascade with S.Passion or J17 and also combined Centennial with S.Passion or J17 when the magic started to happen for me.

My current favourites are S.Passion/Cascade brewed with SO-05 for a IPA for a stronger robust hop character.
    and J17/Centennial with Kveik bringing a bit more citrus to the game for a bit more balance but slightly hoppy Blonde.
    Thanks for the valuable insights Harhm. I clearly drink beer like a girl because I definitely don't have the turnaround in batches that you have...

My paring of J17 and Souther Passion was mostly due to hop oil content. I will need to do some research on finding alternative combinations. My understanding is that many of the US breweries use easily 4 different types of hops in one beer as it assists with consistency in the beer over various seasons as well as make it easier to substitute if there is a shortage of one type. Keeping the varieties lower I think is a better way to see how local hops interact/perform with others. Maybe looking at spider graphs is a better way of not creating a bit of a muddled hop profile. Especially when you don't have personal experience with the intended hops. Will see if I can find something interesting to match. In general I'm quite interested to try Mosaic but still need to do more research.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Brew View Post
    Thanks for the valuable insights Harhm. I clearly drink beer like a girl because I definitely don't have the turnaround in batches that you have...
    I have a lot of very thirsty friends
    Last edited by Harhm; 4th March 2019 at 16:30.
    I value your experience more than your opinion - You could but you shouldn't - You should but I wouldn't - Time is on your side, never rush a beer - Have fun, its only beer - Don't believe all the crap you read on the www

I am interested to read you post. I used J17 with a Cascade hop tea and was very happy with the result. So then I decide to use the same grain bill with J17 and Southern Passion and was quite disappointed with the result as for me it did not really have a definitive flavour - it was a bit of a mish-mash (or muddled as you put it). I am keen to try the SP and Centennial or J17 and Centennial combo. Thanks.