Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malt conditioning

the art of wetting the malt before grinding

Malt conditioning is a very simple process which consists of adding a very small amount of water to your grain bill prior to milling. The addition of water to your un-crushed malt results in more resilient grain husks. The husks take on a more “leathery” feeling. They are less dry and brittle, which means that they will remain much more intact during the milling process.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/01/16/malt-conditioning

So who does it? I did it today and while it did keep the husk intact it made the milling process significantly harder. Anyone experience the same?

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
    So who does it? I did it today and while it did keep the husk intact it made the milling process significantly harder. Anyone experience the same?
    What mill do you have?

I once did it when I started out. I can’t remember it being more difficult to mill, but didn’t really notice a big difference with the corona mill I have. Maybe I should try it again sometime, now that I sort of know the crush to expect.

Comment

Gash on YT have been doing it for a while, but I never worried to give it a go ...

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I spritz mine with a spray bottle. Seems to help with dust.

Comment

Looking at the video I may have used to much water. Will tone it down for next time.

You live and learn, I must say I have a lot more husks in my grain that usual, I use a corona mill and have been having some issues with my grain crush the last couple of brews. looks like I will need to tinker some more.

Comment

I've done it on my last couple of brews and it's definitely resulted in less flour being produced during the grind. The amount of water is 2% of the grain bill - i.e. for a 5kg grain bill I'd use 100g of water.

Comment

To nitty gritty for me.
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I understand what it does for the milling process.. but what does it do for the actual brew and the beer you get out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                  I understand what it does for the milling process.. but what does it do for the actual brew and the beer you get out of it?
                  According to the vid JIG posted, less powder and more intact hulls, which improve flow during the mash.

I'll def be trying this on my next brew.

Comment

Less flour less wastage? So maybe a 1% eff improvement? But I don't mill myself so I have no horse in this race.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                      AFAIK the end product will be the same, this only gives better recirculating on AiO systems and I suppose BIAB setups. ... Might get a slightly better mash efficiency.

Comment

Less flour in the mash also means less chance of scorching the element in an exposed element boiling setup, which is the main reason I started doing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                          Less flour in the mash also means less chance of scorching the element in an exposed element boiling setup, which is the main reason I started doing it!
                          Good point

Comment

yeah so only got round to brewing this morning, still had a stuck recirculation, even with more intact hulls, I'm still messing with my crush to get it perfect for my system, but I ended up about 5 points higher on my gravity so it took my 65 mash efficiency to almost 70% not great but an improvement, I also had most of the conversion in the first 10 minutes of the mash,

and then yes as rikus said, had 0 scorching on the element, I basically just wiped it off and it was shiny and new, for the barely zero effort it took I will continue doing it as the benefits are there.

Comment

Nice... Added benefits for not a lot of effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X