Snyper's Micro Batches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Thanks all! will crack the fruit cake ale next week

Comment

• Im planning a cocoa physco clone after seeing a bottle on that other forum.

How much cocoa nibs would you recommend? Im at 25gr in the boil and 25gr dry "hop" based on the brew dog recipe, but im wondering if its enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
          Im planning a cocoa physco clone after seeing a bottle on that other forum.

How much cocoa nibs would you recommend? Im at 25gr in the boil and 25gr dry "hop" based on the brew dog recipe, but im wondering if its enough.

I love doing research as part of building a new recipe and I highly recommend this article: https://byo.com/article/brewing-with...from-the-pros/

Focus on this guy's entire section thats what I followed for my recipe:
          John Nanci from the Chocolate Alchemy

This is an extract but please read the whole section for the roasting temps etc

Finally, don’t think of cocoa as a classic adjunct. Too many people want to add 1–2 oz. (30–60 g) to 5 gallons (19 L) of beer like they would for chocolate malt. Cocoa is very low in water extractables. They go up the more you roast the cocoa but 1–2 oz. (30–60 g) never going to be enough for you to taste the contribution, even if you roast to 360 °F (178 °C). Use at least 8 oz. (230 g) per 5 gallons (19 L) if in the mash, boil or secondary if used is a beer that is <6-7%. Beers >10% ABV can work with lesser amounts of nibs since the alcohol will further extract flavors as will the longer contact time.

The above is the guideline I followed and I believe the chocolate comes through beautifully - its not overwhelming at all, its one of the core flavours but not the ONLY ONE.

Comment

• Jitters did you see this!!!!!! I AM GOING TO BREW IT!!!!

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/cocoa-psycho

In early 2016 BrewDog did something quite unusual and open sourced all their recipes. As a BrewDog fan, a beer lover and a home brewer I was very excited to get my hands on these recipes. Its a beautiful document with a huge volume of data and I am hugely grateful that they released it to the world.
            Unfortunately, the only digital copy of this document is a PDF download. This is not a great way to share such a large and deliciously rich set of data. PDF documents are huge in size, hard to search and a real pain to use on mobile. Plus most brewers just want to stick a recipe straight into their brewing software, which they would have to do manually. So I decided to create a web resource of the document, one that is searchable, mobile friendly and allows you to download BeerXML copy for your brewing software.
            To do this I had to scrape the data out of the PDF document. In the process I have tried to fix some errors (yes, there were a few) and fix some inconsistencies with how the recipes are presented (specifically around miscellaneous ingredients). This is very much a work in progress. There are a lot of recipes and I am an inherently lazy person. They have also released a newer version of the document since I started on this. I will add the new recipes soon.

If you see any issues with specific recipes please let me know and I will clean it up.

Comment

• Thanks for that. Gonna go 100gr in the boil and 100gr dry "hop". Only reason is that thats the bag size.

Other thing I see is that I will need to roast these suckers.

Lastly the dry hop they say there is a chance of infection? Should I soak in bourbon or vodka you think?

Comment

• Awesome, yeah I found the pdf. Its a 400 page document. Its massive.

Thanks for this its exactly what we needed.

Comment

• I also saw that the website version mentions vanilla beans but they dont list the vanilla beans in the i gredient list. Will need to add that.

I assume after fermentation not in the boil?

Getting more and more excited for this

Comment

Thanks for that. Gonna go 100gr in the boil and 100gr dry "hop". Only reason is that thats the bag size.

Other thing I see is that I will need to roast these suckers.

Lastly the dry hop they say there is a chance of infection? Should I soak in bourbon or vodka you think?

I highly recommend bourbon or vodka. rather be safe. On your vanilla I take vanilla beans and soak them in whisky and add half at start of fermentation and then other half when priming bottles. Just something I have done on a few occasions with great success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                      That look nice and creamy .. can smell it from here..

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                        So I decided to create a web resource of the document, one that is searchable, mobile friendly and allows you to download BeerXML copy for your brewing software.
                        To do this I had to scrape the data out of the PDF document. In the process I have tried to fix some errors (yes, there were a few) and fix some inconsistencies with how the recipes are presented (specifically around miscellaneous ingredients). This is very much a work in progress. There are a lot of recipes ...
                        Hectic .. This will keep you busy.
                        Will you have any time left over for brewing

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                          Hectic .. This will keep you busy.
                          Will you have any time left over for brewing

Thats a quote from the site not me

Comment

• Busy roasting the cocoa nibs and damn does that smell like nog. I have never smelled something so epic. it's pure chocolaty essence. Awesome.

Comment

Busy roasting the cocoa nibs and damn does that smell like nog. I have never smelled something so epic. it's pure chocolaty essence. Awesome.

Thats great to hear. let me know how it turns out!

There is something about these massive beers that make making them so fun!

Comment

• Recipe done, grains selected and tomorrow we brew - its a table beer using the La Trappist yeast from Liquid Culture. Aiming for a full bodied spicy +-3.4% Belgium beer.

Grain selection was to fit the style im aiming for, head retention and spice!

trip tab beer.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X