Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Depends on the beer being served, TBH.
    Breweries will age their beers in barrels or kegs, so no need to age in bottles...

Comment

Personally I bottle. As I do 45litre batches - it is a slep to store, clean beforehand, and bottle and clean fermentors .. I guess all-in-all is quite an effort - but doesn't bother me that much - it's something to do. I usually put on some music and make it my own time. Weigh out the dextrose boil it up .. take FG readings.. tra-la-la.

Thought about kegging - but not ventured that route yet.
      AlexBrew
      Last edited by AlexBrew; 19 July 2021, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        Depends on the beer being served, TBH.

Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
          So when you visit a brewery would you prefer:

1. Beer from the tap?
          2. Beer from a bottle?

The use of the word "period".
          Suggesting that is always the case and everybody beleives it to be so, which may not be the case..

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
            The use of the word "period".
            Suggesting that is always the case and everybody beleives it to be so, which may not be the case..
            So you were just being obtuse because I used a word that offended you?

I have split a batch whereby I bottled 20 liters for my brother and kegged 30 liters for myself. I tasted both, I prefer the kegged version.

Comment

I used to enjoy bottling until that first keg ... then I asked myself "how on earth could you enjoy bottling that much? ... kegging is da bomb bitch"
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I have split a batch whereby I bottled 20 liters for my brother and kegged 30 liters for myself. I tasted both, I prefer the kegged version.
                +1 I will take any of my kegged beers over the previous ones that i bottled ... hard to explain, but it just tastes better.

Comment

I bottel because that's what I have and don't feel it's too much effort for the reward. So I can't compare to kegging.

What I'd like to know is, if you keg a batch, what is it you have to do wrt cleaning? You obviously clean the keg, do you also clean all the posts on say a corny, the beer lines and tap. Or is that a once every couple of brews type of thing? Then the maintenance costs involved also. Has anyone tried to work out the cost of kegging once you have all the equipment? Been wondering about that since I started thinking of getting into the whole keg thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                    I bottel because that's what I have and don't feel it's too much effort for the reward. So I can't compare to kegging.

What I'd like to know is, if you keg a batch, what is it you have to do wrt cleaning? You obviously clean the keg, do you also clean all the posts on say a corny, the beer lines and tap. Or is that a once every couple of brews type of thing? Then the maintenance costs involved also. Has anyone tried to work out the cost of kegging once you have all the equipment? Been wondering about that since I started thinking of getting into the whole keg thing.

Once the keg is empty I fill it with 2L boiled water and a few scoops of SPC (±20g) ... close and shake... then add a little pressure and push solution through the line and tap ... takes 2min.

Fill keg with a little sanitizer and pressure to push that through line and tap ... it stays like that until I keg again.

Every 5-8 brews i will strip the keg and taps and give them a proper clean (soak in SPC)

O-rings on lid and post get lube with every fill.

Maintenance so far AFAIK has only been filling CO² every few months (and a fridge that had to be replaced but not really related to kegging only)

Comment

Breweries will age their beers in barrels or kegs, so no need to age in bottles...
                      Some breweries will age in barrels or kegs. Plenty examples, specially bigger and darker beers, are aged in bottles, similar to wines. Specifically mentioning things like Belgian Tripels and Imperial Stouts here. Most guys here don't brew them. Let's face it, South Africa has a "light lager" mentality. We (yes, all of us) has a thing for a light lager. That's why Castle Lite does so well.

For me, a lager (any lager, doesn't have to be light), shines when it's sat in bulk aging, not in a bottle. That's why I prefer my kegs. I make a lot of lagers these days, and I absolutely ADORE what bulk aging (or aging in the keg) does for it. It's fantastic. Nothing else lets that crisp notes shine like bulk aging. Bottle aging, IMO, imparts too much yeast influence over time, which is something you don't want in the beers we typically enjoy.

Comment

I have tasted many a kegged beer and do not get the "it tastes better" part.
                        Mybe they are not the greatest brewers.
                        Mybe my taste is not sensitive enough, which could likely be true as I have below average sense of smell.
                        So kegging would have no taste benifit for me.

Comment

How do you know when your keg is close to empty ?.
                          Most keg setups have a drip try, is there a lot of waste ?.
                          Maintenence of running a keg setup i.e. o-ring replacements, replacement of other components etc. ?
                          Cost of CO2 and how often to refill ?.

Comment

No I am being Acute.

Comment

My kegging system is an old SAB kegging system with a chill plate that I bought from a second hand store for R1k some years ago.

I don't have a drip tray, have a jockey box - minimal spillage - as in milliliters.

I regularly check my kegs by weight and will have a good idea of when I'm empty, I brew every three to four weeks and never run out of beer (50 liter batches)

SPC - 5kg = R250: I use 50g at most to clean the keg when it's finished, and run that solution through the entire system.
                              Co2 - R70 for a 2kg refill - every two to three months.
                              O-ring replacements - once a year at R50 per keg.

If I was to bottle 50 liter batches:

120 bottles for a batch = R750 - I would have to buy 3*48 boxes.
                              Emily bottle capper = R550
                              Bottling bucket plus tap = R100
                              Siphon = R150
                              Caps 200 = R90
                              And all sorts of other paraphernalia.

Adds up to R1640

Kegging 50 liters:
                              My keg setup = R1000
                              Keg = R400
                              Co2 bottle = R1000

Adds up to R2400

Comment