Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post

If I was to bottle 50 liter batches:

120 bottles for a batch = R750 - I would have to buy 3*48 boxes.
    Emily bottle capper = R550
    Bottling bucket plus tap = R100
    Siphon = R150
    Caps 200 = R90
    And all sorts of other paraphernalia.
    You're getting ripped off on your caps. Beer plus 1000 caps for R144 (last time I purchased).
    In all fairness almost all brewers start bottling so they already have the equipment that came with their starter kit.
    I'd be intrigued to know if anyone skipped bottling all together and jumped straight into kegging for their first batch. That would be ballsy!
    Last edited by hopingmadinZam; 20th July 2021 at 08:32.

Quote Originally Posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
    You're getting ripped off on your caps. Beer plus 1000 caps for R144 (last time I purchased).
    In all fairness almost all brewers start bottling so they already have the equipment that came with their starter kit.
    I'd be intrigued to know if anyone skipped bottling all together and jumped straight into kegging for their fist batch. That would be ballsy!
    Just referenced online pricing for 100 caps at R45.

Anyway, it's up to you what you prefer, this is just a simple debate and may save someone new to kegging asking some questions. I really couldn't care how you choose to package your beer, as long it keeps you happy and brewing. We have our own tastes, and yes some may say one is better than the other, it's not up to anyone to convince you otherwise.

Drink and be merry!

I tried to keep track of my build best I could:

Keezer_build.png

Quote Originally Posted by SykomantiS View Post
    I tried to keep track of my build best I could:

Keezer_build.png
    kek. thats a bit more expensive than I was hoping. Oh well.. guess I need to get creative with the accounting.

Drink and be merry!

I think we can all toast to that!
    Be it in a bottle, keg, cask, brewed in a bucket, carboy or Stainless steel, good beer will always be good, and enjoyed to the last drop.

My kegging system is an old SAB kegging system with a chill plate that I bought from a second hand store for R1k some years ago.

I don't have a drip tray, have a jockey box - minimal spillage - as in milliliters.

I regularly check my kegs by weight and will have a good idea of when I'm empty, I brew every three to four weeks and never run out of beer (50 liter batches)

SPC - 5kg = R250: I use 50g at most to clean the keg when it's finished, and run that solution through the entire system.
    Co2 - R70 for a 2kg refill - every two to three months.
    O-ring replacements - once a year at R50 per keg.

If I was to bottle 50 liter batches:

120 bottles for a batch = R750 - I would have to buy 3*48 boxes.
    Emily bottle capper = R550
    Bottling bucket plus tap = R100
    Siphon = R150
    Caps 200 = R90
    And all sorts of other paraphernalia.

Adds up to R1640

Kegging 50 liters:
    My keg setup = R1000
    Keg = R400
    Co2 bottle = R1000

Adds up to R2400
    Thanks for the feedback

Bottles are a one time expense.
    I have 240 440ml bottles. I have bottles aprox 6000 beers.
    For every batch brewed = 48 bottles. (5 sets 0f 48)
    I paid R200 for 48 bottles.
    Each set has bottled 1200 beers (6000/5)
    Each batch of 48 has been nused 25 times (1200/48)
    Current cost of bottles per batch= R200/25 = R8

Bottle capper has been used 6000 times.
    Number of batches capped 6000/48 = 125
    Cost per batch = R550/125 = R4.50
    Do not nuse a bottling bucket, bottle from secondary fermenter
    Siphon has been used on 125 batches R150/125 = R1.20
    I purchase my caps at Bevplus (https://www.beerplus.co.za/category/per-1000-units/183) for R201 per 1000.
    Cosat per batch = (R201/1000) * 48 = R9.65

Adds up to R8 + R4.5 + R1.2 + R9.65 = R23.35 per batch

I agree the initial outlay in your case is not much more than the initial of bottling.

However if talking costs what is the cost of kegging a batch and the maintenance costs of a keg system

I have been lucky and only lost one bottle so far.

My only cost of bottling is the caps and sugar.
    Let say 200g per batch at R20 poer 1kg of sugar = R4
    Caps + Sugar = R13.65
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Each to his own, and nice breakdown of costs!

It shows you, find whatever works for you and stick to it. Each brewery is different, and the guys who keg swear by it, the guys who prefer to bottle are the same.

I'm a cheapskate, that's why I upped my brewery to 50 liters, it takes the same amount of time to brew, same amount of time to ferment, and condition, but I have 50 liters and not 21. That's why I have 50 liter kegs - see what I did there? 50/50... The cost breakdown obviously becomes cheaper with every batch like your did.

As a final statement/ stir/ point: The debate around kegging vs bottling only ever come from the guys who still bottle. The guys who keg couldn't care less about bottling.

I did consider kegging a few times.
    I, personally do not think the advantges of kegging out weigh the disadvantages, but this will differ from person to person.
    To me this is not a debate but rather gathering of information and opinions.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Im done with this thread,

I said my say.

Use it, don't use it

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

another advantage I thought about last night. You can stabilize and add fruit or other fermentable additions and still carb up your beer. While generally not a fan of fruit in beer it does open you up to make some other alcoholic beverages and make adjustments post packaging (dry hop, post additions like coffee or lactose etc), something generally not possible in bottling.

if you don't like the stout halfway though just chuck in some coffee vanilla and other crap and presto its a breakfast stout.