Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Issues, Upgrades and all that

Hi all

I am aware of the a couple of issue that have been around (a couple for a while now). These are not simple fixes like some people's googling seems to suggest.

The issue is that the version of forum software has been around for quite some time now, and is no longer supported. Neither is the PHP version that the forum software runs on. Therefore these custom fixes come at some, not insignificant, cost. The alternative is to upgrade to the latest versions, which also comes at a fair cost.

As some of you may know, this forum has been run at my own cost, and generates little or no revenue. Advertisers are few and far between (despite my efforts and the absolute bargain basements rates I have set), and the little bit of google advertising is blocked by almost all of you (yes I can see this).

However, I am starting to prepare to upgrade to the latest version, but I need your support. If you have a few spare scheckels you are willing to donate please inbox me (or take up an advertising subscription for those of you that do sell).

I also need patience in that thie upgrade process will take a couple of weeks to get going.

Many thanks
    Simon
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Thanks for the update Simon.
    I've turned my ad blocker off for this site. Where am I likely to see the google ads? Just so I know if it is working?

With adblocker on or off, the site looks the same ... no ads that pop up that could indicate this website is making a little money off of ads?

So why don't you add some?

The only reason I have my adblocker (Ublock) running, is because i allows me to remove things, like the bar running on the left... I don't use it, so I remove it.

like this crap ...
    Screenshot_46.jpg

no matter how many time you click that button to compact that section, when you open the next unread thread, it back expanded WTF
    Last edited by JIGSAW; 20th July 2021 at 09:46.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

So its not a lot of money for keeping the forum alive. Without this forum I would have never taken the plunge into brewing. A lot of guys on here were hit financially by covid for those of us who weren't its time to plow back.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I got word from SimonB that the upgrade is under way. Upgrade should start over the weekend if all goes to plan, so expect a bit of downtime here or there.

Me again.

I have purchased the software updates to the forum. I am eternally grateful to one member who generously donated a good portion of the licencing costs.

Because the latest version is a significant update, there is a considerable amount of prep work and testing to be done.

To this end, if you would be so kind as to list any bugs (or irritations) that you are specifically aware of, like the problem with blank quotes etc. I will then check that these are specifically addressed during testing. Also any features that are missing that you think would be nice, and I will consider the feasability of these. (I will start a new thread).

The new version is much more mobile friendly as well.

Thanks for the patience

Are we still going to use Tapatalk? I've been having issues uploading fotos. It takes forever to open my gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Hi guys, I got word from SimonB that the upgrade is under way. Upgrade should start over the weekend if all goes to plan, so expect a bit of downtime here or there.
    It will take a couple of weeks for thorough testing before I'm ready to go live. There will be no visible changes until then.

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Are we still going to use Tapatalk? I've been having issues uploading fotos. It takes forever to open my gallery

There are a number of tapatalk users, so I can't do away with it. I'll investigate those issues as I go along.

Ok cool. Is there a better way to view the forum from mobile? I stumbled onto Tapatalk and never looked further