Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hop Additions

Hop Additions

Wondering how others do there hop additions.

I used to add at all times of the boil, 60min, 30min, 15min etc.

I now do a bittering addition at 45min for bittering (45min is the longest I boil for).
    Next addition is at 5min and if there is a third addition it will be at flameout/whirlpool.
    Fourth addition dry hopping.

My reasoning, do all your bittering at start of boil and all flovour/arome at the end.
    I tend to go for cheap cleaner hops for bittering and save the more expensive for flavour/arome and therefore optimising.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

I have been playing with this as well in my head!
    Ill add "bittering" hops at 30min. The longest i ever boil. And flavor with whirlpool. But im starting to think ill have more rounded taste with a more complete schedule. 30. 15. 5 and dry hop.
    Think ill try it next brew

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    I have been playing with this as well in my head!
    Ill add "bittering" hops at 30min. The longest i ever boil. And flavor with whirlpool. But im starting to think ill have more rounded taste with a more complete schedule. 30. 15. 5 and dry hop.
    Think ill try it next brew

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I find the taste better with a bittering and then whirlpool addition.
    However as mentioned in previuos post my senese of smell is below average and it follows so would be my taste.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

As I no chill I do a very small bittering charge at 30mins usually 10IBU's and then do most of my hops in my no chill container and a dry hop depending on the style.

I do not like harshly bitter beer so the above has been working for me quite well.

I've recently been using first wort hopping for bittering more and more, apart from that, I'll try a schedule based on examples from the style I'm making.

Do you still stick to a similar schedule when doing something like a SMaSH brew with Cascade or Citra etc? Or do you utilise an earlier boil addition to get the maximum out of your hops?

I've been putting together a few brews to familiarise myself with some hops a bit better and it seems like earlier boil additions would require less hops to get the same IBUs out, which leaves more over for dry hopping and whirlpool (Aiming to use about 100g per batch)

Quote Originally Posted by SykomantiS View Post
    I've recently been using first wort hopping for bittering more and more, apart from that, I'll try a schedule based on examples from the style I'm making.

does it add something positive for you?

Quote Originally Posted by HoboSpit View Post
    Do you still stick to a similar schedule when doing something like a SMaSH brew with Cascade or Citra etc? Or do you utilise an earlier boil addition to get the maximum out of your hops?

I've been putting together a few brews to familiarise myself with some hops a bit better and it seems like earlier boil additions would require less hops to get the same IBUs out, which leaves more over for dry hopping and whirlpool (Aiming to use about 100g per batch)
    When I did smashes I did it with High AA Hops so I did an extremely small bittering charge and then massive whirlpools and dry hops. I even tried only whirlpool and dry hops but that came out a bit too sweet. I find I need that small bittering charge

Agreed, it depends on the style. I Only do 30 min boils.

In my Pilsners, 30 min bittering addition, 10 min aroma, 5min aroma and flameout aroma - leave for 5 mins and remove the hop spider. I'm after a bitter, crisp beer with loads of flavour.

Pale Ales - 30 min bittering, 15 min aroma and 5 min aroma, dry hop after 5 days. I like hoppy Pale Ales.

Amber Ales - 20 min aroma/bittering, 10 aroma, 5 min aroma, dry hop after 5 days. I tried the first time this winter and I'm amazed, up front hop aroma and bittering and a nice malty after taste.

I know I sound like a broken record, but find what you like, brew according to your brewery setup and your taste, if you don't like what you've done, change it until you find what works for you. I make simple beers, and I don't experiment anymore, I make 50 liter batches, and make what I like, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    does it add something positive for you?
    I would like to think so, but I've not tried to test it back to back. There are various advantages toted in some articles, but like I said, I haven't tested it directly vs a 60min addition.