No announcement yet.

Temperature of first brew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have more yeast? ... If yes, I would then split the concentrate 50/50 .... dilute each and then add ½ a pack to each.

Otherwise buy a fresh pack for each bucket ... is it still not showing signs of fermentation?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

You can do the following.

1. Split wort into 2 bucket - pour it slowly
      2. Add water to each batch to top up - pouring slowy
      3. Split a packet of yeast and add half to each. Should be fine. just be as sanitary as possible as you can likely infect the batch if you not very careful

Comment

just one last thing as it's concentrate the IBU's would be doubled up as well. You pretty much have to split it or this will be no beuno is bitter

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
          just one last thing as it's concentrate the IBU's would be doubled up as well. You pretty much have to split it or this will be no beuno is bitter

that too haha or enjoy an imperial quad hopped pale ale

Comment

You will need to make sure the water you are adding to dilute is sterrile, boiled and let it cool down before adding.
            This your first brew ? then hygene is most important.

Comment

I will get more yeast, no problem.

No fermentation showing yet

Comment

Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                You can do the following.

1. Split wort into 2 bucket - pour it slowly
                2. Add water to each batch to top up - pouring slowy
                3. Split a packet of yeast and add half to each. Should be fine. just be as sanitary as possible as you can likely infect the batch if you not very careful
                Thanks, going to give this a go

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  You will need to make sure the water you are adding to dilute is sterrile, boiled and let it cool down before adding.
                  This your first brew ? then hygene is most important.
                  Thanks.

Would bottle water work, straight out of the bottle work?

Or boil it, cool it and then add?

Comment

Always boil, cool down and then add. sanitation is the most important part in brewing.

But I will be honest when I started off with kits, I just chucked in straight tap water.. it made beer but back then I wouldn't have known an off flavor if it smacked my in the face.

your bottled water will probably be fine but on the off chance there is some contaminate in there do you really want to risk your sweet sweet future beer getting infected?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulWW View Post
                      Thanks.

Would bottle water work, straight out of the bottle work?

Or boil it, cool it and then add?
                      Bottled water is sanitary, it has to be otherwise it would grow algae in storage.
                      If you have just opened the bottle for the purposes of adding it to the concentrate then no worries, if it was opened before then boil to be sure.
                      As it stands you have a whole lot of risk being introduced by splitting and opening/closing things often. Just be as sanitary as possible and it should all be fine.

If you are buying yeast then maybe just chat to the store and ask for a recommendation, I would normally recommend US-05 for a new brewer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                        Bottled water is sanitary, it has to be otherwise it would grow algae in storage.
                        If you have just opened the bottle for the purposes of adding it to the concentrate then no worries, if it was opened before then boil to be sure.
                        As it stands you have a whole lot of risk being introduced by splitting and opening/closing things often. Just be as sanitary as possible and it should all be fine.

If you are buying yeast then maybe just chat to the store and ask for a recommendation, I would normally recommend US-05 for a new brewer.
                        I was just reading your comments on the It are Time thread on THAT other forum and then you popped uo her. Thank you good Sir!

Brewlab suggested BRY-97 which I rehydrated and tossed in, so will go with that again and 2 x 5l bottled water and if all goes according to plan 40ltrs of loveliness!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post

I did not want to assume the source, if you get it from the store sealed then yeah probably sanitary, if you get it from your local water place with the container you use each week and store on the floor.. then yeah not so much, but still probably fine.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulWW View Post
                            I was just reading your comments on the It are Time thread on THAT other forum and then you popped uo her. Thank you good Sir!

Brewlab suggested BRY-97 which I rehydrated and tossed in, so will go with that again and 2 x 5l bottled water and if all goes according to plan 40ltrs of loveliness!!
                            4 x 5L you mean?

That BRY97 should be ok yes (West Coast Ale Yeast)
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              4 x 5L you mean?

That BRY97 should be ok yes (West Coast Ale Yeast)
                              It is just one rookie error after the next!!

Thanks.

Comment

SO this morning we have fermentation action happening. I suppose I cannot split this out into 2 x 20l batches now that fermentation has started OR can I?

Comment

Working...
                                X