Dry Lutra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
    No I didn't misunderstand you this is what you said: but with Lutra aiming to "replace" lager yeasts in the way it does No problem Ill let you believe the manufacturers marketing mumbo jumbo, that it can replace and apparently already does replace lager yeast according to you, until you have done the side by side brewing like I have done.

FYI I have done Lutra vs 34/70 and Lutra vs. US-05. No I dont just jump in and give a elaborate expert opinion on Lutra from 2 side by side brews but this is in short what ill share for now.

Lutra vs 34/70 @ 20C: like I already mentioned in my limited experience its is not a reliable replacement for a Lager yeast.

Lutra vs US-05 @ 20C : again in my experience (not the opinion of the w.w.w.)Lutra in a hop forward Ale is in short "bland and the hopping is sharp" vs. the highly used but over rated US-05

So just keep on brewing your single brew Ales with Kveik Ale yeast that you think taste like a Lager and Ill brew my Pseudo Ales with Lager yeast that taste like a real Lager
    Are you fermenting under pressure?
    Its a completely different discussion if pressure is introduced. Im fairly sure most of the internet based suggestions for Lutra were done under pressure resulting in a clean and crisp fermentation.

Im not a fan of lagers so I have no interest in comparing yeasts, but it would be interesting to see the difference under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      Yes, I said with Lutra aiming to replace, not "I aim to replace". " this is what experimentation is all about. Don't you find it fun/interesting to do?
      and you also said "in the way it does" you should consider a career in politics :-)

Yes I experiment all the time especially with yeast, the difference in my brewing is I do split batches with temp control and have 2 side by side totally closed systems from pitching yeast all the way to the point where the 2 beers with 2 different yeast goes in to the glass.
      You should try it in your aim for spotless fermentation thread

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 8 November 2021, 17:33.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
        Are you fermenting under pressure?
        Its a completely different discussion if pressure is introduced. Im fairly sure most of the internet based suggestions for Lutra were done under pressure resulting in a clean and crisp fermentation.

Im not a fan of lagers so I have no interest in comparing yeasts, but it would be interesting to see the difference under pressure.
        Nope I didnt do this round with Lutra vs. US-05 under pressure but I have done multiple side by side pressure fermentations with Oslo vs. various Ale Yeasts. I have also done various Lager yeasts side by side under pressure, there is some of my feedback on this forum from about 3 years back.

Link below:

https://www.wortsandall.co.za/showth...e-Fermentation

Harhm
        Last edited by Harhm; 8 November 2021, 17:31.
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
          and you also said "in the way it does" you should consider a career in politics :-)

Yes I experiment all the time especially with yeast, the difference in my brewing is I do split batches with temp control and have 2 side by side totally closed systems from pitching yeast all the way to the point where the 2 beers with 2 different yeast goes in to the glass.
          You should try it in your aim for spotless fermentation thread

I actually got a new temperature controller this week (yesterday). I'll be fitting it soon, I hope, and then I want to make a split batch (I have the capacity) with a clean yeast like Lutra and then something forgiving, like W34/70. I agree, it's the only way.

Comment

Are any local stores stocking Dry Lutra Yeast yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxmax2 View Post
              Are any local stores stocking Dry Lutra Yeast yet?
              Cactus Craft in Joburg

https://www.cactuscraft.co.za/produc...d-omega-yeast/

Comment

They're in Pretoria, not JHB.

Comment

same, same

Comment

Thanks. Will get my order in!
                    Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                      same, same
                      Haha I guess for international it's close enough :P

Comment

Driving from PTA east to their shop feels like JHB in the wrong direction [emoji23]

Comment

lol

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Any LHBS in Cape that stocks this yet? ....

want to brew some lagerish beer

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Any LHBS in Cape that stocks this yet? ....

want to brew some lagerish beer
                              Cactus Craft now has a shop somewhere in the WC.. Warehouse/Shop – Cactus Craft Brackenfell – 30 Platinum Business Park, Taurus Road, Brackenfell, Cape Town – 021 745 4203

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post

Cactus Craft now has a shop somewhere in the WC.. Warehouse/Shop – Cactus Craft Brackenfell – 30 Platinum Business Park, Taurus Road, Brackenfell, Cape Town – 021 745 4203
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X