Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dry Lutra

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Attachment 3579 .... Attachment 3580

Spot the difference
    The one on the left shows red cheeks, ovaries and vigina.
    One on right has arsehole and a navel.

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Attachment 3579 .... Attachment 3580

Spot the difference
    Indeed, but you're not a stupid guy (not from what I can gather here), so you get my point.

Back to the topic - any idea when we might see more of the dried kveiks over here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Maak jy ook Lagers??
    Ja ek maak ook Lagers.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

https://www.wortsandall.co.za/showth...ll=1#post42423

Who says Lutra is aiming to replace Lager yeasts and that it actually does Omega, the w.w.w? We should know better than to believe the bs on the internet

Lutra is a ale yeast and will never be a reliable replacement for a lager yeast.

If you want to test Lutra vs. a Lager yeast get yourself fermentation control do a split batch wort, treat Lutra and 34/70 exactly the same: aeration, pitching rates, ferment both at their ideal temps for what you want to achieve and duplicate all the rest, * do multiple blind triangle taste tests ........ Ill wait here while you waste your time and money trying to brew a bona fide lager with a kveik ale yeast

* imo 34/70 is most likely the most forgiving lager yeast ito fermentation temperature range so you can even pick the top temp for 34/70 and the bottom for Lutra and ferment both yeast at 20C if you want
    Last edited by Harhm; 3rd November 2021 at 13:10.
    I value your personal experience more than the BS that you have read on the w.w.w.

Ek gaan nie eens involved raak nie

i have my reasons for brewing lagers/pilsners with Oslo ... and soon maybe Lutra, depending on the reviews here.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post

Who says Lutra is aiming to replace Lager yeasts and that it actually does Omega, the w.w.w? We should know better than to believe the bs on the internet

Lutra is a ale yeast and will never be a reliable replacement for a lager yeast.

If you want to test Lutra vs. a Lager yeast get yourself fermentation control do a split batch wort, treat Lutra and 34/70 exactly the same: aeration, pitching rates, ferment both at their ideal temps for what you want to achieve and duplicate all the rest, * do multiple blind triangle taste tests ........ Ill wait here while you waste your time and money trying to brew a bona fide lager with a kveik ale yeast

* imo 34/70 is most likely the most forgiving lager yeast ito fermentation temperature range so you can even pick the top temp for 34/70 and the bottom for Lutra and ferment both yeast at 20C if you want
    You misunderstand. I never said it's going to replace it, but it's marketed at brewing lager-like clean beers. I'll copy from the product page:

LutraŽ is shockingly clean with unrivaled speed when pitched at 90°F (32°C). The strain is perfect for brewing an even more neutral and refreshing pseudo-lager at its lower temperatures, without the lead time of a traditional lager yeast. Lutra is your worry-free way to navigate the evolving demand for cold ones.

I asked my question there to hear your comparison between US-05 (a yeast I believe to be wholly overrated) and Lutra. That's all. I'm still a huge lager fan myself, and know you can never brew a lager without lager yeast, because that's what makes it a lager.

And yes we use the term pseudo-lager, as that's exactly what it is. Not a real lager, but it can come close (when talking about clean fermentations) when using clean ale yeasts. With my last IRA one of the brewers asked me if I used a lager yeast, but it was just S-04, pitched a crapton of cells. My latest "lager-like" beer was made with Oslo, and it's currently in the keg. Yes, it's an ale, but it doesn't really taste like it. It's dry and crisp like a lager, but it's an ale. I don't care. It drinks lekker, specially now after a few weeks in the keg. Half litres are flowing at rate from that keg now...

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post

Well said
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

No I didn't misunderstand you this is what you said: but with Lutra aiming to "replace" lager yeasts in the way it does No problem Ill let you believe the manufacturers marketing mumbo jumbo, that it can replace and apparently already does replace lager yeast according to you, until you have done the side by side brewing like I have done.

FYI I have done Lutra vs 34/70 and Lutra vs. US-05. No I dont just jump in and give a elaborate expert opinion on Lutra from 2 side by side brews but this is in short what ill share for now.

Lutra vs 34/70 @ 20C: like I already mentioned in my limited experience its is not a reliable replacement for a Lager yeast.

Lutra vs US-05 @ 20C : again in my experience (not the opinion of the w.w.w.)Lutra in a hop forward Ale is in short "bland and the hopping is sharp" vs. the highly used but over rated US-05

So just keep on brewing your single brew Ales with Kveik Ale yeast that you think taste like a Lager and Ill brew my Pseudo Ales with Lager yeast that taste like a real Lager
    Last edited by Harhm; 4th November 2021 at 10:34.
    I value your personal experience more than the BS that you have read on the w.w.w.

Yes, I said with Lutra aiming to replace, not "I aim to replace". For me nothing will beat a lager yeast. I've not yet come across an ale yeast strain that ferments as clean as a good lager yeast when treated right, but this is what experimentation is all about. Don't you find it fun/interesting to do?