No announcement yet.

Toxxyc's Aim For Spotless Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A man. I edited my post and lost the body.

The one biggest improvement by far in my beer brewing journey was fermentation temperature control. He was fermenting a kveik in spring so it was most likely perfectly in the right range.
    But taking s05, pitching it into a room temp wort in summer and letting it ride out is a recipe for a headache and an awful beer

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes totally agree. This was a room temp test and I set out to do it as that, and yes, I'm using Kveiks. In winter my office is somewhat temperature controlled and stays at 19°C almost exactly, no matter the time of day or night, so then I typically use ale yeasts that work in that range. It works. I did really well with several beers and one Irish Red was described by the judge as "flawless fermentation", so I'm going to say it worked.

But where temperature plays a role, yes, I control fermentation. I just haven't done or needed to do it in a while. That being said my fermentation chamber is out of commission right now (no temp control) so I need to get a fridge controller again. I saw there are some of those cheap-ass R100 jobbies that works fine - anyone used some of those, and got a link for me perhaps? I don't know their names...

Oh yeah and jannieverjaar, glad you like that Pils. It's similar to the recipe I mentioned above, but there are some other specialties in there as well that I had lying around. Glad it's good! I need to bottle it's other half soon, it's still in the keg, conditioning.

Comment

OK so another Irish Red made (slightly adjusted recipe from the one I got 2nd place with, and upped the mash temp) and pitched Lutra on Monday morning. I kept the fermenter constant at 27°C (Lutra is supposed to be super clean at 32°C but I don't want it to run that hot). Dry pack, pitched straight after aerating the wort a bit (slightly larger batch size, so I wanted to give the yeast a fighting chance).

Somewhere between pitching and checking in on it on Tuesday, it seems the airlock (filled with alcohol) almost ran dry from the speed of fermentation, I guess. I topped it up but it seems to be done. I'm not testing gravity yet, I'll give it it's time until the weekend when I'll probably keg it and give feedback. It was an 1.046 OG wort, so let's see.

Comment

^ Sounds Promising
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

So are you going to call it a '' Irish pseudo Red Lager '' now that you pitched it with the Lager yeast replacing Kveik Lutra Ale yeast ? Im joking, it should be interesting
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

So I've made the IRA now (well, several versions of it, but the same base recipe), with a few yeasts. Nothing side-by-side, but eh, good enough for me. So far I've used:

1. S-04. Yeast I've used A LOT. When pitched at a high enough cell count and fermented at around 17°C, it ferments clean and drops clear pretty quick. Happy with this yeast. It goes sideways VERY quickly when it warms up though, and as a result I like to keep it for a winter yeast (fridge doesn't have to work that hard).
              2. US-05. I used this yeast once, and according to the clean mentions it got I expected a bit more. To me the yeast flocculated fine, but the end result was a tiny bit yeasty, almost like sour dough. I fermented it at 19°C. Perhaps it's just my tiny tiny sample size, but the yeast, to me, is not as magical as I'd hoped (I'm expecting too much, maybe?).
              3. Lallemand Diamond Lager. Another yeast that's a bit finicky, perhaps. It fermented really slowly and in the end it took a good month to become where I'd say it was drinkable. I pitched a starter I made, as the yeast was damn expensive (it's better now). The yeast presented an almost sour note to it, that to me reminded me of spontaneously fermented fruit juice. Fermented at 11°C.
              4. Lallemand Diamond Lager. This time, I pitched the wort onto the entire yeast cake of another beer, so there was a stupidly high yeast cell count. This resulted in a very fast fermentation at 10.5°C (read some opinions that this is the golden spot for this yeast) and the end result was a really, REALLY good beer that I actually want to do again some day. Clean, clear, fast and crisp, like an IRA (or IRL) should be. Perhaps Number 4 would have been better as well, had I just pitched more yeast?
              5. Lutra. I'm trying Lutra now. Yes, it won't be an IRL (or whatever), but then again I also don't really care for labels on my beers all that much. If it's clean, it's clean. Lutra is said to be clean even when fermenting hot. I'm not fermenting it hot, trying to get it even cleaner. The fermentation completed (apparently) in 2 days at 27°C, and I'll only check in on it over the weekend to see where the gravity is at, and how the final product tastes. This is also my last shot with Kveik. Voss caused me to toss 40l of beer, it was simply not to my taste. Oslo is good, I'm enjoying a regular pale ale thing with it now. It still took a month to condition to the point where I'd say "this is nice" though, so the speed involved with creating a clean beer takes just as long as a beer fermented with S-04 does, in my experience so far.

Lutra will be the decider. It's my last attempt with a Kveik and it's also, with me, Kveik's last "hurrah", so to speak. If it doesn't really impress me, it's the last time I'm using Kveik and I'll go back to my tried and trusted yeasts. I've already decided that my next beer will be made with a true lager yeast again, I just need to find out which one. Diamond is still an option, but I wouldn't mind trying others as well. I've never used W34/70, so perhaps it's worth a shot?

Comment

Im with @Toxxyc on the Kveik, it just always tastes a little off to me.
                Sure the super fast fermentation was fun at first, but you have to wait just as long for it to clear up as anything else in the end.

Comment

I have never used Kveik, Oslo, Lutra etc. I have absolutely no interest in a fast fermentation.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I'm starting to think the fast fermentation is more of a gimmick, but we'll see with the Lutra at the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                      I have never used Kveik, Oslo, Lutra etc. I have absolutely no interest in a fast fermentation.
                      I had several beers at Africa Brew last weekend fermented with Oslo and none of them had any strange flavours. Oslo ferments clean unless you ramp it to over 30 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

It had a place for me when I started brewing during hard lockdown now I dont care much for it, its not something I reach for happy to age things thing even wait a year but keen to hear how lutra goes

Comment

Look I'll say it again - Oslo is clean, I agree. It's a clean yeast that doesn't present with as much of the typical yeasty flavours I've had in beers before. However, before the beer becomes really good, it still takes a month at least, like all others. Hell, the Oslo pale ale I have now is in the keg for what - 5 weeks - and it's still not where I'd consider it to be "great". And it flocculates terribly

If Lutra is as clean and perhaps does similar things, I can see myself using it, perhaps only to keep the temp control fridge from running 24/7 to keep the fermenter at 19°C, but we'll see.

Comment

oSLO has those feather type yeasts really meh when beer is ultra clear and all that floats around

Comment

Yeah I also noticed it in my beer, but then again the one I have on tap right now is simply cloudy/murky/milky, and refuses to clear any further. It's been 4 weeks and there's no difference, so it just refuses to drop clear.

Comment

Have you tried gelatine?

Comment

Working...
                                X