Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    Nice feedback. Holding thumbs for on the 4th..

Somme making me lust to brew an Irish Red too .. not brewed this before.
    For such a simple recipe, it's quite hard to get perfect it's such a subtle beer and if one part is out of balance it throws the whole beer off.

If i'm ever happy with my IRA recipe I will invest in a nitro setup so that I can have some Kilkenny on tap.

Yeah it's not the simplest of recipes, but because it's supposed to be a sweet beer that you brew with roasted barley, it's not easy to get right. I've made numerous batches now in an attempt to just balance the roasted barley with the other flavours, as while roasted barley and the flavours it brings (bitterness, roasted coffee flavours) is part of the flavour of the style, it's not my favourite. I prefer other flavours, and by accident almost did I find that I simply love the addition of rye malt in the recipe.

In simplest of terms, you need to still mash high to get it sweet, but too sweet and the low IBUs will not be balanced. Also, you NEED the roasted barley for colour, but even if you add just 50g too much in a 30l batch, it'll taste like a stout more than an Irish Red. To boot, you need your hop and fermentation schedule on point, because an IRA with fruity flavours from either hops or yeast is not to style (as far as I know).

So by now I know my recipe by heart, and once it's perfected, I wouldn't mind sharing it at all. The more the merrier, I like to say.

Awesome update! Love the detail. Now a curveball. VERDANT yeast! I think the complexity it brings wil make your recipe pop. I know its marketed as a neipa yeast and its said to throw fruity flavors. But to me it more closely resembles its English heritage. And that is where you're going with the recipe.

P.S. i might be biased. This is my new go to blonde, pale ale yeast. Its kicked 05 off ! Its just more expensive

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Verdant is my new favourite as well. It may just become my house strain. I like the flavours it adds to my beers.

Its a dry form of london 3 so can be used in anything really

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I typically let people know if they ask, but otherwise I keep quiet. Would be cool to hear the judges' feedback. What's nice about the judges there is that they judge early morning, and then sit around with the rest of us for a while so we can discuss the beers, scores and feedback from them in detail. Previous batch's feedback was purely "needs more body, mash higher" so I did mostly that, but also tweaked one or two other ingredients.
    Who this organizer of the competition on the 4th December, place ? Any info on the format? How to enter? How many certified judges will score your beer? Do you get score sheets back from the judges? How many beers normally entered ?
    I value your personal experience more than the BS that you have read on the w.w.w.

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Who this organizer of the competition on the 4th December, place ? Any info on the format? How to enter? How many certified judges will score your beer? Do you get score sheets back from the judges? How many beers normally entered ?
    also interested to know

There aren't that many BJCPs and I know most in Gauteng personally.

It's not an official BJCP competition. It's a local "get together" from brewers all over the area and then we have a brewing competition. The general winners are determined by the people who vote for us, but they get BJCP judges in just to give us feedback on our beers. We do get score sheets, yes. I have no idea how many beers are entered. This one is organized by Cactus Craft, and it'll be at NG church Valleisig, IIRC.

Oh yes, onto the IRA. Beer is clean. WAY cleaner than the ferment with Oslo, and in a shorter time as well. I can't pick up fermantation flavours and it's also dropping clear pretty fast. Yes, it's with gelatin, but it was already clearer in the fermenter than the Oslo ever was. There's much less of that yeasty dryness and there's no sourish notes either. The beer itself - I'm guessing it's closer to the style guide, so I hope it'll score better with the judges, but I don't think I like it more than the previous recipe. This one has more roast barley, and mashed higher, and it shows. It's quite strongly flavoured, stronger than I like my Irish Reds to be, and it has an alcoholic bite because of the added 1% ABV above the previous one. Not bad, but it's there. Finally, because of the added roast barley to boost the colour, it finishes with a roasted barley note on the tip of my tongue. Which I don't like.

I guess we'll see how it mellows out over the next 2 weeks, and then what the judges think of it.

My Last version took almost 2 months for the flavors to meld, before that I could taste the individual flavors, and you are right I had the roasted flavor right there as an after thought but clear as day.

I really think an IRA needs a bit of time post fermentation to rest and gather itself.

Yeah my previous IRA also only had 6 weeks to comp day and by then it had mellowed beautifully. I hope the next two weeks will do the same to this one. It'll then be around 5 weeks since yeast pitch.