Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple concentrate

Hey guys,

So a while ago I had a cider brewed by some guys from a concentrate they purchased from a place called Euroberry. They sell a ~73 brix apple concentrate in 25kg cans. No I'm not going to be using 25kg of apple concentrate that'll realistically make like 175 litres of apple juice, so I'm strongly considering splitting a can between a few people. I'm wondering if anyone would be interested?

Oh, and by the way, they used 5kgs of concentrate to make a ~30l batch (I think 28l, they held back a little bit), with enough held back further to backsweeten after fermentation. They used Lalvin EC-1118 (Lallemand champagne yeast) to ferment dry and then backsweetened, and it's honestly one of the best ciders I've ever tasted, nevermind a homebrew cider, I was totally blown away. Apple-forward, but not sour or biting like ciders can be, just smooth and crisp and really, really refreshing (dangerously so). I'll get the correct recipe in a bit from the guys.

Anyway, that means realistically 5 people can split a can. IIRC the quoted price was around R35 per kg of concentrate, exVAT, so we're looking at R201.15 per 5kg of concentrate including vat, for 30l of cider, which I believe is a damn bargain. If anyone is interested, they can just post here and we can see if we can get a group buy together.

Regarding repackaging, I'm happy to go buy and repackage the concentrate into 5l buckets. They're pretty cheap at Plastilon not far from my place, I believe around R20 or so for a bucket with a lid, and they seal well, so shipping can also be arranged.

So yeah, post if you're interested and I'll see how this is to be done.

I would love to come in on this but I blew my brew budget on hops this month.

This is a very good price considering that the beerplus kit is almost R400 and you only get 2.5kg concentrate.

Comment

I see they have an outlet here in Somerset West, Cape.

Pity that 25Kg is the minimum
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I found out the MOQ is 10 cans though, so if you only take one the price goes up a bit, but it's still not too bad. Still under R300 for the concentrate to make almost 30l of cider.

Comment

This is a little more expensive but might be worth it to just test it out before committing to a 25L?

https://brewmart.co.za/shop/index.ph...roduct_id=1545

I really want to try this, my wife loves cider so having a keg available wouldnt be terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
            This is a little more expensive but might be worth it to just test it out before committing to a 25L?

I really want to try this, my wife loves cider so having a keg available wouldnt be terrible.
            That's a great option, actually. Might just go for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              That's a great option, actually. Might just go for this.
              Its being weighing on my mind since I first saw it, I would love to hear your experiences if you do get some.

Comment

Its being weighing on my mind since I first saw it, I would love to hear your experiences if you do get some.
                I did the beerplus kit in the beginning of the year for my wife. I used Voss instead of the cider yeast as I didn't do temp control for the batch. I also added 500gr of sugar to get a higher og. the hibiscus made it nice and sour. I still bottled so it was extremely dry.

My mayor notes:
                1. next time keg so you can backsweeten.
                2. cider needed about 4 months to age before it came into it's own. It was good before then but age made it better
                3. yeast nutrients is a must my voss threw straight sulfur.

It's piss easy you just dump everything in a sanitized bucket with spring water and add yeast. think it took about 5 minutes to get it going. I didnt even mix it properly just gave it a bit of a stir and called it good still came out perfect.

Comment

Yes when making a cider you don't call it wort, you call it must. It needs nutrients. I have plenty from my mead making days. I'll also stabilize and sweeten for sure.

Comment

I currently have a batch of this in my keg.
                    Couple of observations - the 1st being the most obvious, yet somehow I forgot, even though I told myself, "myself, you have to add yeast nutrients to this thing for fermentation."
                    2nd thing, even at 30L, it's a bit on the higher side of the abv scale, I didn't quite reach 30L, I think closer to 27 or 28, and it was over 7%, I didn't really record the final gravity after measuring so I'm just going off memory. I'd suggest testing OG in steps instead of just dumping 5L and filling it up. Check your fermentation, this is not as unforgiving as other cider kit (eg Mangrove Jack's)- especially if like (me) a muppet you forget the yeast nutrients. I used Notties. Having said that, it still came out fairly tasty, but admittedly not my best work.
                    But seriously, yeast nutrients.

Comment

Apple concentrate

I got some today, so where do I start?

*edit*

Guess no boiling?
                      PaBz0r
                      Last edited by PaBz0r; 27 November 2021, 14:25.

Comment

Add water, yeast and nutrients.

Comment

Sounds too simple. Boiled water? Profile? I got champagne yeast

Comment

Normal water, no profile for me, champagne yeast is fine but read below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...riments.83060/

I used so4 and kveik voss made no diffrence both were lekker, but dry. Back sweeten with apple juice and keg for sweet cider.

Comment

My tips - use nutrients, don't boil the juice (or even heat it up), use CLEAN water (I'd recommend RO drinking water).

Comment

Working...
                              X