No announcement yet.

Apple concentrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy apples and use a juicer to extract the juice.
    When fermenting fruit you can get methanol alcohol (dangerous in higher quantities.)
    The alcohol in our beers is Ethanol the not so dangerous one.
    Methanols boiling point is about 65C, I boil my apple juice for about 15 - 30 minutes, more than enough to get rid of the methanol.
    After that I ferment normally like you would beer.
    Fruit has about 100% fermentable sugar so it will and with a FG of about 0.
    I back sweeten with a non fermentable sugar. I use Erythritol.
    The wife likes elderflower and lime flavour.
    I add the elderflower at start of fermentation.
    Lime juice and Erythritol is added 2 days before bottling.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

You won't get rid of the methanol if you boil the juice pre-fermentation. Methanol (alongside other harmful alcohols like acetone) forms during fermentation - and in beer as well. Trust me, I distill, there's all kinds in all kinds of fermentations (including fruit, grains and sugar). When boiling your juice, all you're doing is vaporising and destroying your aroma and flavour compounds. To boot, the amount of methanol in a fermented beverage is safe to consume, you'll be stone punch drunk long before anything happens to you. Besides, ethanol is what helps the methanol to be metabolised by your liver (if you get methanol poisoning, they give you ethanol in a drip). There's no point in boiling the juice at all.

If you have to boil the juice to kill the stuff in there (wild yeast), rather do a lower temp, for a longer time. It'll pasteurize it instead.

Comment

@Toxxyc, my apologies yes you are correct.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
          @Toxxyc, my apologies yes you are correct.
          No need to apologize, mate. We're all here to learn and help out!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, will need to get some potassium sorbate to use with sodium metabisulfite. Don't want to use artificial sweeteners

Comment

I'm getting my concentrate on Saturday, I hope, and I hope to make my 30l batch of cider with that then. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                Thanks for the feedback, will need to get some potassium sorbate to use with sodium metabisulfite. Don't want to use artificial sweeteners
                If you keg you can just back sweeten and stick it in the fridge? yeast should be dormant so wont cause issues? that's what I would do without adding sulfites to beer. I'm quite sensitive to them in high amounts.

Comment

If you plan on conditioning it, fermentation will still occur even at cold temperatures (albeit very slowly). I'd stabilize anyway, or condition it flat and dry and backsweeten just before moving it into the serving keg.

Comment

Alrighty, started a cider this morning with the concentrate I got above. I don't know the volume I achieved (the fermenter doesn't have markings), but I got a damn lot of juice at 1.046 OG. So I'm hoping for a cider between 5.5% ABV and 6% ABV.

Comment

DId you use the whole 5L or kept some?

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                        DId you use the whole 5L or kept some?
                        I don't know exaclty how much I got, but it was around 4.5 to 5kg. I kept 500g for backsweetening when I'm done.

Comment

Alrighty, 24 hours later and this thing's running. I added some Fermaid-O to the juice to aid the yeast, and added a second dose this morning (doing my own kind of step feeding here). It's Kveik, and Kveik has a higher nutrient requirement so I figured feeding it won't do any harm.

Anyway, it's been a while since I fermented anything other than beer and a sugar/molasses wash, so the smell when I opened my office this morning was quite surprising. I forgot all about that sour, sulphury note you get when making a cider. I was even worried for a bit, and checked on the contents of the fermenter just to make sure we're in the clear, and well, it looks fine. Kveik's doing it's business well.

Actually can't wait for this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

I don't know exaclty how much I got, but it was around 4.5 to 5kg. I kept 500g for backsweetening when I'm done.
                            Ok cool, I must still do mine but been holding off due to the backsweetening thing.. are you just going to keg it and drink it as fast as possible or what is your plan?

Comment

Since I've made a lot of mead in the past, I actually have the chemicals needed to stabilize the cider before adding the backsweetening. So what I'll do is after fermentation, I'll cold crash the fermenter and then fine in the fermenter, instead of in the keg like I typically do. Then after it's cleared in the fermenter I'll transfer the cider to a keg, and stabilize it in the keg with the chemicals I have (potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite).

These two chemicals work together to prevent yeast growth (which it does in the presence of oxygen), fermentation (by removing the yeast's ability to ferment, literally) and it also prevents oxidization, since the sulfite is a strong antioxidant.

After this stabilizing it's safe to add sugar to the cider again, and the yeast won't consume it. The doses for both is pretty low and I got plenty of both chemicals in my pantry, so for me it's a pretty straight-forward thing.

I actually wonder if I can't do the same to beers, if I want a sweeter beer. Perhaps sweeten a stout with LME instead of lactose, for example...

Comment

Thanks for the info, want to do a cider for some friends coming to visit who don't drink beer (crazy people).

Comment

Working...
                                X