Blow-off tube recepticle re-think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blow-off tube recepticle re-think

I only do blowoff tubes into a bottle while fermenting .. I had a thought about suckback when cold crashing. I submerge the tube into a bottle (or whatever) w saniteser or any liquid to prevent oxidation whilst controlling co2 expelsion from the fermentation. Now when cold rashing a negative pressure develops because of liquid shrinkage (assumed 4%) .. then problem being the liquid gets sucked uphill into the fermeter.

Read solution online is to put very little liquid into a bottle, then when sucktion happens there is not enough liquid to fill the tube and suction breaks and liquid goes back in bottle..

Right ..Rethunk method. Place the blowoff tube in a bottle with no liquid inside! co2 will expell whilst fermenting .. the whole system is co2 'sealed'. Now when cold crashing .. vacuume happens and co2 from te bottle will (should) go back upstream..
    Now replacing the bottle w a 5litre empty water jug at the end of the blow off-tube. There should be enou co2 to feedback the vacuume of the liquid shrinkage .. right?

^ grrr .. can't edit.
    In my previous mssg .. I see I typed so fast that some characters couldn't keep up.

Comment

That sounds awesome. 100% true. The co2 should sit there and get sucked back. Sounds like a good plan

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Been using a wine stopper while cold crashing, since I started brewing 5 years ago.
        Works like a charm

Stopper.jpg
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I just remove the tube and plug the whole with some foam.

KISS
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Tbh. There will be suckback. So if the bung or foam doesn't cause the sides to vacuum in you've introduced air. (But that o2 should be at the top and not on the beer.) BUT nr 2. there is the whole equilibrium/ dissociation discussion too. Although i think in this case gravity is the stronger force. The 5l bottle should at least reduce that o2. BUT it wont keep out the fruit flies

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
              Been using a wine stopper while cold crashing, since I started brewing 5 years ago.
              Works like a charm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3695[/ATTACH]
              With this you mean to plug the end of the blowoff tube ?

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                Tbh. There will be suckback. So if the bung or foam doesn't cause the sides to vacuum in you've introduced air. (But that o2 should be at the top and not on the beer.) BUT nr 2. there is the whole equilibrium/ dissociation discussion too. Although i think in this case gravity is the stronger force. The 5l bottle should at least reduce that o2. BUT it wont keep out the fruit flies

It's inside the freezer .. but one could use insulation tape and block off the entrance of the bottle when the tube goes in. The bottle might shrink/crimple up a bit as the vacuum happens .. I saw a video where peeps do this with a balloon..

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  With this you mean to plug the end of the blowoff tube ?

I do not use a blow off tube, I use a airlock.
                  When cold crashing I remove the airlock and plug the hole with a wine stopper.

Bubbler.jpg
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I use an airlock and cold crash with the airlock in place - never had any issues.

There's a layer of Co2 on top of the beer, the small amount of air that may or may not enter through the airlock will do nothing to the beer, the small amount of sanitiser that may or may not enter the beer via the airlock will not do anything to the beer.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Comment

Verstaan jy
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I use a blowtie spunding valve which then feeds into a bottle of santiser.
                        Being under pressure it never sucks anything back at it goes from around 14psi at 20c to around 8psi at 2c.

Comment

I use an airlock as well, for both normal fermentation and cold crashing. BUT, I fill it with vodka. As far as I'm concerned, anything that gets through that is okay with me.

As Jigsaw said, KISS is best.

Even when bottling, there is going to be a small amount of normal air that gets in while you are filling the bottles, but nothing substantial enough to affect the beer in the short term.
                          Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

My original post was about preventing sanitiser/liquid sanitiser suckback from the blowoff tube recipticle while cold crashing.

I know there are different techniques and methods that may work better - but blowoff tube is what I use.

So a discussion about suckback prevention is quite valid. Anyway, I listed 2 solutions in my original post which I will try and apply.

Comment

Alex,

Just a question, do you really think that sanitiser suckback will suck all the way up past the bend and into the fermenter? Honest question, it seems like a lot of movement to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X