Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Blow-off tube recepticle re-think


    I only do blowoff tubes into a bottle while fermenting .. I had a thought about suckback when cold crashing. I submerge the tube into a bottle (or whatever) w saniteser or any liquid to prevent oxidation whilst controlling co2 expelsion from the fermentation. Now when cold rashing a negative pressure develops because of liquid shrinkage (assumed 4%) .. then problem being the liquid gets sucked uphill into the fermeter.

    Read solution online is to put very little liquid into a bottle, then when sucktion happens there is not enough liquid to fill the tube and suction breaks and liquid goes back in bottle..

    Right ..Rethunk method. Place the blowoff tube in a bottle with no liquid inside! co2 will expell whilst fermenting .. the whole system is co2 'sealed'. Now when cold crashing .. vacuume happens and co2 from te bottle will (should) go back upstream..
    Now replacing the bottle w a 5litre empty water jug at the end of the blow off-tube. There should be enou co2 to feedback the vacuume of the liquid shrinkage .. right?

  2. #2
    ^ grrr .. can't edit.
    In my previous mssg .. I see I typed so fast that some characters couldn't keep up.

  3. #3
    That sounds awesome. 100% true. The co2 should sit there and get sucked back. Sounds like a good plan

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Been using a wine stopper while cold crashing, since I started brewing 5 years ago.
    Works like a charm

    Stopper.jpg
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

  5. #5
    Senior Member JIGSAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,952
    I just remove the tube and plug the whole with some foam.

    KISS
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!


  6. #6
    Tbh. There will be suckback. So if the bung or foam doesn't cause the sides to vacuum in you've introduced air. (But that o2 should be at the top and not on the beer.) BUT nr 2. there is the whole equilibrium/ dissociation discussion too. Although i think in this case gravity is the stronger force. The 5l bottle should at least reduce that o2. BUT it wont keep out the fruit flies

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Been using a wine stopper while cold crashing, since I started brewing 5 years ago.
    Works like a charm

    Stopper.jpg
    With this you mean to plug the end of the blowoff tube ?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Tbh. There will be suckback. So if the bung or foam doesn't cause the sides to vacuum in you've introduced air. (But that o2 should be at the top and not on the beer.) BUT nr 2. there is the whole equilibrium/ dissociation discussion too. Although i think in this case gravity is the stronger force. The 5l bottle should at least reduce that o2. BUT it wont keep out the fruit flies

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    It's inside the freezer .. but one could use insulation tape and block off the entrance of the bottle when the tube goes in. The bottle might shrink/crimple up a bit as the vacuum happens .. I saw a video where peeps do this with a balloon..

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    With this you mean to plug the end of the blowoff tube ?

    I do not use a blow off tube, I use a airlock.
    When cold crashing I remove the airlock and plug the hole with a wine stopper.

    Bubbler.jpg
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

  10. #10

    I use an airlock and cold crash with the airlock in place - never had any issues.

    There's a layer of Co2 on top of the beer, the small amount of air that may or may not enter through the airlock will do nothing to the beer, the small amount of sanitiser that may or may not enter the beer via the airlock will not do anything to the beer.

    I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •