Licence Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licence Question

Hi All, I'm hoping someone will know the answer to this the liquor board is ever so slow to reply.

If one has a Micro On/Off Licence for beer brewing.
    Would one be able to sell other alcohol not manufactured on site?

Or would that require an additional licence?

Yep. You need several licenses in order to sell and brew. One for manufacturing, one for distribution and if you want to sell on premises, one for sale to the public as well.

Comment

"Micro-manufacturing for on and off consumption— a licence for the micro-manufacture and sale ofliquor for consumption both on and off the premiseswhere the liquor is sold."

Taken from their documentation.

But I can't determine if having that prevents you from say selling a glass of wine at your brewpub?

Comment

@jakeslouw might have an answer for you ?
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yes, the licence to manufacture differs to one for off-site consumption and even on-site consumption, and even for distribution.

I wanted to do this. Several licences needed.

Comment

We circumvented the issue by getting a restaurant license for the pub and a brewing license for the brewery.

However, to answer the original question: this is sadly still region-dependent. Each province seems to interpret and apply the Liquor Act in a different way.

As far as I know: a brewery license ONLY allows the production and distribution of BEER off-prem. In other words, a tap-room at your brewery is not legal. This requires an on-prem license.

A Micro manufacturing license I have no knowledge about, it doesn't appear to be an option in North West. But reading the description, it seems to be broad enough to allow brewing AND distilling AND on-prem sales.

I suggest that McBrew discusses this with somebody like Rory at the Aegir Project or Greg Casey at Afro Cariibbean. I think the fact that Afro uses Banana Jam as a distribution on the same prem says a lot though.

Comment

Welcome to South Africa
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks. I've dropped Greg a message on facebook - hopefully he replies.

Comment

Working...
                X