Thread: Spelt malt

Spelt malt

Anybody seen anywhere? Want a few kg for my NEIPA's.

Please let me know thanks

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

thanks for that. can you use unmalted in place of malted spelt? I dont know alot of about spelt tbh

It looks like the americans are using spelt in place of anything else to add haze to their neipa's

Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    thanks for that. can you use unmalted in place of malted spelt? I dont know alot of about spelt tbh

It looks like the americans are using spelt in place of anything else to add haze to their neipa's
    You can use unmalted if you keep the ratio to malt decent, yes. Unmalted has no DP so it won't mash. You should be able to use something like oats or wheat (spelt is a type of wheat) as well if you want haze in a NEIPA, although I do see the flavour benefit of spelt in a NEIPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You can use unmalted if you keep the ratio to malt decent, yes. Unmalted has no DP so it won't mash. You should be able to use something like oats or wheat (spelt is a type of wheat) as well if you want haze in a NEIPA, although I do see the flavour benefit of spelt in a NEIPA.
    Yeah, it seems the current trend is to replace all wheat and oats with malted spelt. they say it promotes longer better haze and tastes better. I have a version with wheat and oats on tap that is lekker but just wanted to see what the hype is all about.

I'l read up on malted vs unmalted spelt to see if theres a diffrence.

Update: Seems I may need to malt it myself, never done that but will give it a go if needed. Atleast it's just an adjunct and not the main grist

I'd just use unmalted than to malt it myself. It's a long, tedious process that ends in rotten gunk if you mess it up.

EDIT: Oh yes, and home malted grains typically have a LOT worse DP than store bought ones.