Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    SAY WHAT?
    Not me, anyway. It "fills me up" quite fast, similar to a stout.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      Not me, anyway. It "fills me up" quite fast, similar to a stout.
      All in your mind. A highly carbonated lager is worse.

Comment

I don't highly carbonate my beers at all. In fact I like them quite mellow. But yeah I think it's because of the stronger taste.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
          Yep it seams that way. NEIPA's are great but maybe a bit over rated.
          I think it's the latest fashion.. like when 1 Direction released their first songs - everybody was singing along .. hahaha.

Comment

I brewed quite a few beers using low disolved oxygen brewing techniques and used SMB and ascorbic.

Be careful of adding all sorts of additives just in case you might need it as insurance. All these additives mess with your beer chemically and biologically. In my experienced KISS and commonsence ensures the best results

Rather ensure your brewing techniques is solid when brewing beers thats notoriously finicky ito shelf stability and NEIPA type beers that should be enjoyed as fresh as possible anyway.

If you think NEIPA brewers are weird you should rub shoulders with the lodo guys. At a stage I drove myself up the walls with keeping O2 out of my brewing processes from as far back as treating mash water to all the way forward to getting the beer in the glass without O2 exposure

Only treat half the batch with ascorbic acid, your beer might not oxidise after all and you might mistakenly think its as a result of the ascorbic that you added. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
              I brewed quite a few beers using low disolved oxygen brewing techniques and used SMB and ascorbic.

Be careful of adding all sorts of additives just in case you might need it as insurance. All these additives mess with your beer chemically and biologically. In my experienced KISS and commonsence ensures the best results

Rather ensure your brewing techniques is solid when brewing beers thats notoriously finicky ito shelf stability and NEIPA type beers that should be enjoyed as fresh as possible anyway.

If you think NEIPA brewers are weird you should rub shoulders with the lodo guys. At a stage I drove myself up the walls with keeping O2 out of my brewing processes from as far back as treating mash water to all the way forward to getting the beer in the glass without O2 exposure

Only treat half the batch with ascorbic acid, your beer might not oxidise after all and you might mistakenly think its as a result of the ascorbic that you added. Good luck

Well said
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

@Harhm - Yea yea I hear you ..
                As I mentioned I stumbled on the ascorbic acid topic as I was reseaching for NEIPAs and recipes and 'everybody' is fearing/cautioning the issue of oxidation. I also thought this would be applicable to double dry hopping - especially for the 2nd dry hop addition. I won't add it to any beer - just the most susceptible ones. Anyway proof is in the pudding. I'll see how my double dry hopped West Coast IPA comes out ..

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  @Harhm - Yea yea I hear you ..
                  As I mentioned I stumbled on the ascorbic acid topic as I was reseaching for NEIPAs and recipes and 'everybody' is fearing/cautioning the issue of oxidation. I also thought this would be applicable to double dry hopping - especially for the 2nd dry hop addition. I won't add it to any beer - just the most susceptible ones. Anyway proof is in the pudding. I'll see how my double dry hopped West Coast IPA comes out ..
                  Yea yea I have read the whole thread ..

Do whatever guys, dont take my advice although Im the only one that replied that has actually used smb and ascorbic. Its your beer so 'everybody' just dose away..

If we dont taken the right analitical approuch to all additions it very easily becomes standard practice to add all sorts of different stuff to your beers. The same goes for brewing salts (without water analysis) yeast nutrients, kettle finings and beer clearing agents.

Harhm
                  Last edited by Harhm; 26 November 2021, 11:57.
                  2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Nee ooh f0k
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

kettle finings and beer clearing agents.
                      Do you use beer clearing agents?

Comment

Yea yea I have read the whole thread ..

Do whatever guys, dont take my advice although Im the only one that replied that has actually used smb and ascorbic. Its your beer so 'everybody' just dose away..

If we dont taken the right analitical approuch to all additions it very easily becomes standard practice to add all sorts of different stuff to your beers. The same goes for brewing salts (without water analysis) yeast nutrients, kettle finings and beer clearing agents.

I don't quite get what the argument is here .. is it about us (me) ignorning your advise or is it about what you want to say?
                        I thought this is a discussion group forum..

Anyway, I will use ascorbic acid as I see fit within my limited knowledge.

btw .. what actually is your advise? (seeing that you are the only one that has used ascorbic acid before) to enlighten us mere mortals.

btw #2: The pictures of your beer always look so good.. sure you must be adding something to it?

Anyway .. I'm not wanting to stir the pot here. .. unless I have just added some hops - then I will be stirring the pot for a while. Also I'll be stirring the pot when I add sugar to the brew .. that's ok innit ?

EDIT: .. but get what you are saying - don't moer in, sommer net .. en sommer soveel without thinking. I'm trying to be as accurate as I can it getting this brewing hobby right in all or most aspects and learning as I go along.

EDIT: There's a fair contemplation as to what additives to add in beer.. I think it ranges from the Reinheitsgebot to a fruit puree concoction. Thinking of which: Will added fruit (fresh, pulp, dry orange peels) add (vit C) acsorbic acid to your brew?

I omitted the irish moss boil finings to my Dunkel Weisen (currently fermenting) .. I won't be adding gelatine finings and will do a half an effort cold crash .. 5C for 2 days .. drop the porridge and keep the yeast into bottling. No added ascorbic acid in this brew.
                        AlexBrew
                        Last edited by AlexBrew; 26 November 2021, 18:08.

Comment

I don't quite get what the argument is here .. is it about us (me) ignorning your advise or is it about what you want to say?
                          I thought this is a discussion group forum..

Anyway, I will use ascorbic acid as I see fit within my limited knowledge.

btw .. what actually is your advise? (seeing that you are the only one that has used ascorbic acid before) to enlighten us mere mortals.

btw #2: The pictures of your beer always look so good.. sure you must be adding something to it?

Anyway .. I'm not wanting to stir the pot here. .. unless I have just added some hops - then I will be stirring the pot for a while. Also I'll be stirring the pot when I add sugar to the brew .. that's ok innit ?

EDIT: .. but get what you are saying - don't moer in, sommer net .. en sommer soveel without thinking. I'm trying to be as accurate as I can it getting this brewing hobby right in all or most aspects and learning as I go along.

EDIT: There's a fair contemplation as to what additives to add in beer.. I think it ranges from the Reinheitsgebot to a fruit puree concoction. Thinking of which: Will added fruit (fresh, pulp, dry orange peels) add (vit C) acsorbic acid to your brew?

I omitted the irish moss boil finings to my Dunkel Weisen (currently fermenting) .. I won't be adding gelatine finings and will do a half an effort cold crash .. 5C for 2 days .. drop the porridge and keep the yeast into bottling. No added ascorbic acid in this brew.
                          Please don't look for a argument where there isn't any argument from the start, just read both my posts for what it is and not for what you think I want to say.

Like I said I used and tested SMB and ascorbic combined various other additions and methods to prevent O2 but it didnt improve my beer and was more of a pita than anything else, but like I said, if you dont believe me just test it for yourself in a split-batch. (I even dosed yeast and sugar in the mash water, but thats a other topic all together)

Its still your beer and you can add what you want if you feel that it will improve your beer dose away its you that is going to have drink it after all. The same goes for ingredients, if you want to add liquorice allsorts in a Stout or Cornflakes in a Lager even if its only to prove a point its your beer you can do what you want. Just dont pitch Ale yeast and call it a pseudo lager thats just wrong

Whether you take my advice or not is entirely up to you, if Im able to help you Im glad I could assist , if you dont use my advice it its no loss to me. I would like to add that Ill always try and only comment on matters that Im experience in and will not feed you googled BS.

Please be assured that Im as much a mere mortal as anybody on this forum so please dont expect any divine enlightenment from me.

If you are here to stir pots you are in the wrong place and are not welcome here and should go and do it elsewhere. Im pretty sure that the brewers that regularly give inputs here does it to share their successes, experiences and findings to ensure the growing the hobby of brewing and thats how it should be

Yes you get it Like you said in your own words, dont moer in, sommer net .. because somebody said in a video that they use ascorbic and that their beer doesnt oxidize as a result of it without thinking why am I doing it, do I need to add it, what will the affect be and how do I test it whether it did actually have a positive, negative or any affect for that matter on my beer.

In closing imo you missed a golden opportunity to do a split-batch with ascorbic to see 1st hand what the affect will be on your Hoppy beers (I mostly dosed Lagers) and therefore have a opinion about the uses of ascorbic in Hoppy beers based on your own experience vs. the googled opinion of somebody else

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                            Do you use beer clearing agents?
                            Yes I do but I dont like to open my fermenters or add stuff to fermenters unless its hops, then again I dont often brew very hoppy beers so I dont dryhop as often anyway
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 2 December 2021, 14:08.

Comment

Please don't look for a argument where there isn't any argument from the start, just read both my posts for what it is and not for what you think I want to say.

Like I said I used and tested SMB and ascorbic combined various other additions and methods to prevent O2 but it didnt improve my beer and was more of a pita than anything else, but like I said, if you dont believe me just test it for yourself in a split-batch. (I even dosed yeast and sugar in the mash water, but thats a other topic all together)

Its still your beer and you can add what you want if you feel that it will improve your beer dose away its you that is going to have drink it after all. The same goes for ingredients, if you want to add liquorice allsorts in a Stout or Cornflakes in a Lager even if its only to prove a point its your beer you can do what you want. Just dont pitch Ale yeast and call it a pseudo lager thats just wrong

Whether you take my advice or not is entirely up to you, if Im able to help you Im glad I could assist , if you dont use my advice it its no loss to me. I would like to add that Ill always try and only comment on matters that Im experience in and will not feed you googled BS.

Please be assured that Im as much a mere mortal as anybody on this forum so please dont expect any divine enlightenment from me.

If you are here to stir pots you are in the wrong place and are not welcome here and should go and do it elsewhere. Im pretty sure that the brewers that regularly give inputs here does it to share their successes, experiences and findings to ensure the growing the hobby of brewing and thats how it should be

Yes you get it Like you said in your own words, dont moer in, sommer net .. because somebody said in a video that they use ascorbic and that their beer doesnt oxidize as a result of it without thinking why am I doing it, do I need to add it, what will the affect be and how do I test it whether it did actually have a positive, negative or any affect for that matter on my beer.

In closing imo you missed a golden opportunity to do a split-batch with ascorbic to see 1st hand what the affect will be on your Hoppy beers (I mostly dosed Lagers) and therefore have a opinion about the uses of ascorbic in Hoppy beers based on your own experience vs. the googled opinion of somebody else
                              Cool. Thanks for explaining yourself. That clarifies a lot.
                              I was then having the wrong end of the stick there.
                              No argument here - just conversation.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for explaining yourself. That clarifies a lot.
                                I was then having the wrong end of the stick there.
                                No argument here - just conversation.
                                No worries, social media is a flawed communication platform anyway, and doing it in a 2nd language doesn't help either ;-)

Harhm
                                Last edited by Harhm; 3 January 2022, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X