Oat Malts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oat Malts

researching into neipa's see there's a lot of malted oats in the grainbill ... so been looking on my lhbs websites near cpt and only BeerLab has 'Golden Naked Oats' for R60/kg .. Uhum.. are there anywhere else I can look at locally that might have ?

https://beerguevara.com/product/oat-malt-500g/

Check here, i usually go half/half oat and gno. I like the caramel oaty taste it gives beers.

Reminds me of oats cookies

Comment

ok .. cool thx.
      I looked on BG site - but missed the item. Doh

Comment

I use Jungle oats, works like a charm, been using it for years.
        Do not use the house brands like checkers no name etc. they are very high in sodium.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Jungle Oats is my brand when I want use flaked oats .. in this case a recipe asked for malted oats - which is the whole kernel .. or will malted oats and flaked oats have the same result in a beer ?

Comment

Check out below link for malted vs flaked oats
            https://brulosophy.com/2021/06/14/fl...iment-results/
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Watch out for trying to mill whole oats. Needs a tighter gap and they are very hard if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                Watch out for trying to mill whole oats. Needs a tighter gap and they are very hard if I recall.
                Yes, it's a bit harder, like malted rye (I believe it's also huskless), but there's no need to worry about the hardness. I mix my rye into the rest of the specialties that has to be milled and it runs fine.

PS if you struggle to mill it fine, run it through the mill on a big gap first, then another run with a smaller gap. That's what I do when I mill really hard grains like corn.

Comment

...or just have your porridge in the morning and then make proper beer like a proper man the rest of the day
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    ...or just have your porridge in the morning and then make proper beer like a proper man the rest of the day
                    Amen brother, amen!

50gram Oats and 3 boiled eggs for breakfast for years now, I am so gatvol of oats, there's not way I'm putting that in my beer!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X