Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing a sour

Howdy folks,

So I'm thinking of brewing a sour with tamarind, but I've never brewed one before. I have latic acid which I could use to sour or I can probably find some greek yogurt for lacto. I was thinking ~ 7%abv.
    Any tips or suggestions on how to brew a nice one, what would be a good malt bill, also hop schedule?

Beginner's Guide ....

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Awesome, thank you

Comment

I've never tastes Tamarind.

What made you go this route and how much would one add to a brew?

Did you spot a recipe somewhere perhaps ?

EDIT: Found this Tamarind Juice video ....

JIGSAW
        Last edited by JIGSAW; 1 December 2021, 13:44.
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          I've never tastes Tamarind.

What made you go this route and how much would one add to a brew?

Did you spot a recipe somewhere perhaps ?

EDIT: Found this Tamarind Juice video ....

that does not look lekker at all.

Comment

Tamarind is very common here as the trees grow everywhere, I previously saw a mango tamarind beer recipe which tickled my fancy.
            Tamarind is already quite sour and tamarind juice, like the video, is very common and it's very tasty.
            I was just thinking about what beers I could play with, with the fruits that are in season and tamarind in sour form came to mind.
            I think that the intense tartness of the tamarind paired with the sour beer would be delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
            that does not look lekker at all.
            It's heaps lekker!

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
              Tamarind is very common here as the trees grow everywhere, I previously saw a mango tamarind beer recipe which tickled my fancy.
              Tamarind is already quite sour and tamarind juice, like the video, is very common and it's very tasty.
              I was just thinking about what beers I could play with, with the fruits that are in season and tamarind in sour form came to mind.
              I think that the intense tartness of the tamarind paired with the sour beer would be delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

It's heaps lekker!

Fair enough.. I was only half joking

You could also use philly sour for your first go around. It's a normal brewers yeast that is out competed by any other yeast. first few days it produces lactic acid and only then does it ferment.

It's an easy way to get your feet wet without the equipment segregation required with fermenter souring, I'm planning one for the new year so will keep an eye out on your recipe for tips.

Comment

Hi I tried to make a sour 2 month ago, did a 5l batch just to see what the result would be like.
                I found a bottle of "Reuterina Femme - Womens Health Probiotic" in our medicine cabinet, which has live Lactobacillis. I innoculated my wort with 2 tablets (probably overkill at 5 billion cells per tablet).
                The next problem was keeping the kettle souring wort at 30deg. The first night I put it on the top of the cover over the cool plate on my Aga, but next morning the wort was 47deg, so I reinnoculated the wort once it cooled down and kept an eye on the wort temp, I found that if I put a cork mat on the plate, my wort stayed at 29 to 35deg. Soured it for 2 days to taste and then boiled and added the yeast.

My obsevations for the next batch:
                1. use a pH meter to get to the right sourness, the carbonation made it even more sour, so next time less sour.
                2. the Reuterina worked well, even though it was well past the use by date
                3. the beer needs to be stronger, I brewed it light (2%ABV), its a bit tasteless without fruit at that temp. 7,5% ABV is quite high, I wouldn't go higher than 5,5%ABV
                4. carbonation needs to be even higher than the 2.8vol that I carbed it to.
                5. I used a few token hop pellets, because beer needs hops, right?

I used light malt, because the taste will all be from the yeast (I used Belgian Witbier, which was what I had in my fridge), and any fruit. I've got lots of berries and plums in my orchard, and prickly pears on my farm, which I'll use as flavour next time.

Comment

Working...
                X