Side-by-side fermentation test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side-by-side fermentation test

Following what @harhm said in a previous thread, I want to try a side-by-side test with two yeasts. I'm planning on making a big batch of wort, which I'll then split down the middle for this test. I just have to decide on the recipe, and this I need help with. Yeast to use will be Kveik Lutra and Diamond Lager. The idea is not to see which yeast is best, but more which I prefer going forward. I really want to see what return on effort I get from using both on a "lighter" recipe.

The recipe I'm planning is a Pilsner recipe. Simple, nothing out of the ordinary, for 40l into fermenters:

Grain bill
    8.5kg Chateau Pilsner Malt
    250gr Crisp Dextrin Malt

Mash schedule
    60 minute mash at 66°C
    Sparge to full volume

Hop additions
    30gr Magnum 11.9% AA @ 30 minutes for 19 IBUs
    50gr Tettnang 4% AA @ flameout for flavour and aroma, no-chill meaning it'll add 7 IBUs

Total IBU: 26 IBU

Numbers
    Estimated OG: 1.050
    Estimated FG: 1.010 (Lutra), 1.009 (Diamond)

Fermentation schedule
    Diamond: 1 week at 12°C, ramped up by 1°C per day until it reaches 20°C. 1 week at 20°C (diacetyl rest).
    Lutra: 3 weeks at 27°C (will keep a thermometer on it to make sure).

After fermentation both beers will be FG tested, kegged, fined and lagered at near freezing for 1 month (will see how this goes) before being tapped and tested.

exciting!! quite excited to see how it comes out.

Comment

3 weeks you say ...

Aint Nobody.jpg

Nice going ... will look out for the end result / taste test

You did YT vids before ... any plans to put this into video?
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        3 weeks you say ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3715[/ATTACH]

Nice going ... will look out for the end result / taste test

You did YT vids before ... any plans to put this into video?
        Not a bad idea. I'll make a short video about it. I still do videos, just of a different genre these days. I'm digging up as many old replays I can find of my gaming days and putting out videos of those

Comment

3 weeks you say ...
          Yeah only reason to leave it for longer is to get both beers into the kegs at more or less the same time, that's all.

Comment

If you really wanted to go all out you should have done a pressure ferment as well.

Comment

I don't have the equipment to do a pressure ferment, to be honest.

Comment

if you have a corny keg you basically have everything you need except cheap prv's. this makes for an easy entrance into pressure ferments.

10psi Blue PRV (brewmart.co.za)
                or
                15psi Purple PRV (brewmart.co.za)

For ~100 bucks you too can dip your toes into pressure fermenting.

Comment

What is the purpose of pressure fermenting?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterS View Post
                    What is the purpose of pressure fermenting?
                    it reduces esters and off flavors when you ferment outside the yeasts comfort zone, basically allows you to do a lager at room temp with less yeast and with a faster turn around.

The other benefit is that you can have already carbonated beer when you are done fermenting, reducing oxygen exposure and turn around time, the turn around time is debatable as I anyways leave the beer for a few weeks to condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                      if you have a corny keg you basically have everything you need except cheap prv's. this makes for an easy entrance into pressure ferments.

or

That's pretty cool. I only have one corny with a pull-ring PRV though. Rest are oooooold with automatic ones, not sure if I can change those. Two of my corneys don't even have PRVs, just a plain solid lid

Comment

@PeterS Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post

or

Apparently a VERY dangerous way to wet your toes

Those prv's were not made for this purpose and people say if you get some of the krausen/wort and whateva else in the valve, it could malfunction and then you sit with a massive metal bomb on your hands

Comment

Apparently a VERY dangerous way to wet your toes

Those prv's were not made for this purpose and people say if you get some of the krausen/wort and whateva else in the valve, it could malfunction and then you sit with a massive metal bomb on your hands
                            nature of the game old son, If a spundit or a blow tie get blocked you are in the same situation. I actually think these are safer as the opening is slightly bigger than a poppet.

I think the yeast will tap out before pressure gets to crazy, but you are correct the risk is not zero, there is some risk so rather do what you feel comfortable with.
                            Jitters
                            Last edited by Jitters; 3 December 2021, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                              Following what
                              Harhm
                              Harhm said in a previous thread, I want to try a side-by-side test with two yeasts. I'm planning on making a big batch of wort, which I'll then split down the middle for this test. I just have to decide on the recipe, and this I need help with. Yeast to use will be Kveik Lutra and Diamond Lager. The idea is not to see which yeast is best, but more which I prefer going forward. I really want to see what return on effort I get from using both on a "lighter" recipe.

The recipe I'm planning is a Pilsner recipe. Simple, nothing out of the ordinary, for 40l into fermenters:

Grain bill
                              8.5kg Chateau Pilsner Malt
                              250gr Crisp Dextrin Malt

Mash schedule
                              60 minute mash at 66°C
                              Sparge to full volume

Hop additions
                              30gr Magnum 11.9% AA @ 30 minutes for 19 IBUs
                              50gr Tettnang 4% AA @ flameout for flavour and aroma, no-chill meaning it'll add 7 IBUs

Total IBU: 26 IBU

Numbers
                              Estimated OG: 1.050
                              Estimated FG: 1.010 (Lutra), 1.009 (Diamond)

Fermentation schedule
                              Diamond: 1 week at 12°C, ramped up by 1°C per day until it reaches 20°C. 1 week at 20°C (diacetyl rest).
                              Lutra: 3 weeks at 27°C (will keep a thermometer on it to make sure).

After fermentation both beers will be FG tested, kegged, fined and lagered at near freezing for 1 month (will see how this goes) before being tapped and tested.
                              Great idea, recipe 100%, just have a look at a bit more practical fermentation and finishing schedules
                              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Working...
                              X