DIY Chillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Does the spring allow you to bend hard-drawn copper pipes? What size is it?
    Really not sure... but i can't see why not, you may need a bit more "elbow grease" in order to get the bend you want.

Anyone here able to give insight on whether or not one can bend hard drawn pipes with a bending spring?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
      Have you not approaced a local plumber in your area?

If you where near Northern Subburbs CPT pop in with 5.5m Class2. (btw don't get class1 as the wall thickness is to thin - they tend to kink and crack much easier than class2 - class 2 is only slightly more expensive.) I'll get my boet to pop in with his bender and bend a coil for you for laughs - while we contemplate which one of my many varieties home brews taste the best.

I'm looking into making another one as a prechiller for the water feed to the wort immersion chiller. Stick it into a bucket with icewater - something like that.
      I hate approaching people in the "wild". I'd usually rather struggle on my own... I'm in PTA and pretty much never get to CPT, so that's a no go. If you make another one, I'll take half the length, coiled, and pay for Postnet to ship it up. In a box it shouldn't be more than 5kg and that's a R99 ship - cheap cheap! If you wouldn't mind, of course...

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        Does the spring allow you to bend hard-drawn copper pipes? What size is it?
        The standard hard drawn pipe (460 class 0) wont bend. The regular option made for bending is Class 2 (thicker and softer)

Plumbers also pack it with sand first, which works well.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Copper is copper. The difference is the heat treatment. You can heat hard copper and quench it in water to make it more pliable.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I actually forgot about the annealing process. Think that's an option for me. Don't even have to quench it, copper's crystalline structure isn't affected by the speed at which it cools, AFAIK.

Comment

• You're 100% correct but quench is quickest. Where for steel you dont want to quench. Thats what makes copper cool. Well one of the things that does. But clearly you know this

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• A tiny bit, yeah. The little bit I remember from material sciences ;D And what I studied up when I started shooting.

Comment

• I'm ordering my 3/8" pipe today. The question however is the fittings - which once do I need to connect to a garden hose?
                  Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

• Garden and washing machine taps and fittings are typically 3/4" BSP

I dont see 3/4 at LM, but there are these options too:

https://leroymerlin.co.za/coupler-3-...-hose-81450552

or both of these:
                    https://leroymerlin.co.za/coupler-1-...68-6c-81450559
                    https://leroymerlin.co.za/gardena-co...RoC3RwQAvD_BwE
                    Langchop
                    Last edited by Langchop; 24 November 2020, 07:16.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Thank you so much - opted for the second option ....
                      Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

• Check though. The guys you are buying the tube from may have 3/8C to 3/4M adaptors, which is more 'standard' and easier to find fittings for. Although, if you are quite happy with the gardena option, option 2 is perfect.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Here's my gadget:
                          20201124_090346.jpg

This for 15mm standard conex fittings. What's 3/8ths ? 9.5mm 10mm ? Anyway the above will give you an idea. I find this works ok. The gardena clipon fittings aren't 100% drip proof - Make your chiller that these fittings don't hang above your wort. Mine come with a bend down - so they hang down the side of my kettle.
                          If the gardena fittings leak, spray some oil in there - then they clip in nicely.

Comment

• ?

https://plumbitonline.co.za/item/ism...or_2_inch__gio
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I used 1/2 inch pipe and just slipped my garden hose onto the copper and used a hose clamp. Then I have a gardenia type set up with a joiner piece. cheap and simple, not sure if it'll work perfectly with 3/8 though, but worked great for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                                I used 1/2 inch pipe and just slipped my garden hose onto the copper and used a hose clamp. Then I have a gardenia type set up with a joiner piece. cheap and simple, not sure if it'll work perfectly with 3/8 though, but worked great for me.
                                I have a similar setup - used 12mm pcv tubing and clamped it onto the chiller.
                                I have a submersible pump which I put in my cooler with icepacks to use for chilling my wort.

Comment

Working...
                                X