Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Hops

Growing Hops

I have a large north-west facing wall that's about 5.5m high that I was thinking I'd like to use for growing hops.

Has anyone grown any hops locally? Which variety? Where would I source seeds or small plants?
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I know Mark and Annelize out at Honingklip have some hops growing which they've used in some brews. Maybe ask them?
    They're pretty active on the southyeasters mailing list, so you could try there too.

i know this is an old-ish thread but i just bought some cluster hop seeds from a place called seeds 'n all in port elizabeth. i'm not very familiar with the variety but if i can get them to grow, i'm going to seriously look at importing more common varieties.

Be careful with importing. Probably not a risk with seeds but many of the hop pests don't exist in SA and you really don't want to be responsible for introducing them.

Might be worth asking the Honingklip folks for a rhizome. Its basically a root cutting and the way hops are generally grown from. This way its a clone of the parent and you know you are getting the correct plant. Seeds vary a LOT so I wouldn't grow from seed if you are looking for a specific variety.

my seeds arrived today.

should be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool beans, keep us updated on the progress! Where did you get them from?
    bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
    Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
    Conditioning:
    Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
    Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Quote Originally Posted by CapeTownBrew View Post
    Cool beans, keep us updated on the progress! Where did you get them from?
    thanks, man. i will.

i got them totally by chance. i was looking for a creeper type plant for the garden. i found a guy in PE who sells seeds and in conversation he mentioned he had hop seeds.

i believe hops grow quite well here but don't really flower easily due to not enough hours of sunlight. the dude i bought them from claims otherwise though. either way, i'm still gonna plant them and see what happens. i've got nothing to lose.

Hops require a crapton of water - keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by that guy al View Post
    i believe hops grow quite well here but don't really flower easily due to not enough hours of sunlight. the dude i bought them from claims otherwise though.
    By "here" do you mean Cape Town, or South Africa?

Who said that hops does not grow well here? I cannot imagine how they can struggle - South Africa has some of the most bad-ass sunshine that I know of. We need special wood varnish for outside decks and things because the nancy European made varnishes do not last 6 months. During the summer I have probably ~10 hours of solid sunshine on my stoep in Pretoria. In the Freestate where it's nice and flat we were unable to enjoy the stoep until ~19h30 because of the sun being too hot and bright.

I think hops can struggle to grow because of water. You will probably need to water it daily.

Please keep us updated! Even if you get only a handful of flowers - it's still something!

Getack. The issue is not the intensity of the sun. It's the length of daylight we get. Some hops require minimum 16 hours daylight to grow properly. The hop farms often have to augment the daylight with huge banks of incandescent lights.
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by getack View Post
    Hops require a crapton of water - keep that in mind.
    actually, from what i've read, they require no more water than any other plant you might have growing in your garden. typically a good wetting once a day is sufficient.

By "here" do you mean Cape Town, or South Africa?
    by 'here' i mean the cape. hops grow best between the 30th and 50th parallels. the 30th parallel cuts south africa in such a way that the cape is on the right side of it. ideally you'd want to be closer to the 50th parallel which makes countries like australia and new zealand perfect.

Who said that hops does not grow well here?
    not me. as a plant they grow very well. for brewing purposes though, the plant is useless without the flowers and in order for the plant to flower it needs at least 14 hours sunlight.
    Please keep us updated! Even if you get only a handful of flowers - it's still something!
    thanks, i will. as i said before, i'm not going to try grow hops per se. i'll be happy if i can get the seeds to grow into plants first. if it does flower, bonus. if not, nothing lost.
    Last edited by that guy al; 15th January 2015 at 09:29.