Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get the juice

Hi

I've decided to give a cider a try but I'm finding it difficult to find a cost effective way of getting around 20L of juice.

The few option currently available would be:

Buy apple juice straight from Fruit and Veg, no preservatives of course, costs: R33 per 2L
    Buy apples and juice them myself, R15 per 1.5 KG but results in only 0.75L
    Buy the apples and maybe Distillique will squeeze them for me.

It would be possible to get the apples from some farmers market at a better price

I stay in Centurion, Pretoria so any other options would be great
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

I buy boxes from Indian wholesalers they around 9kg each and I get tthem for plus minus R50 a box depending, I always get between 4 and 5 liters a box from a home made press using a car jack, it's a bitch of a job but better than fixing crap for my wife, I've also used tru fruit clear apple to top up batches I get for R115 for 10 liters and hasn't effected they ferment.
    Another tip is freeze your apples and let them defrost before crushing you'll get more juice and seems to clear easier, have made quite a few batches with very little equipment and not really knowing what I was doing at the start but never had a bad batch and extremely easy to make better cider than you can get in the shops.

Comment

Ps you should get about 5/6 quarts or 10/12 dumpies from a five liter batch after you rack the crap from the bottom, R50 for apples and R7 for a quarter of a pack yeast, very cost effective if you ask me.

Comment

Pity you don't live in Cape Town. We could get you as much juice as you want from Grabouw
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
          Pity you don't live in Cape Town. We could get you as much juice as you want from Grabouw
          Details?

Comment

Klaus on this forum can give details. Let me give him a prod.
            Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

Originally posted by Captain View Post
              I always get between 4 and 5 liters a box from a home made press using a car jack
              Captain do you have some schematics?

Originally posted by Captain View Post
              Another tip is freeze your apples and let them defrost before crushing you'll get more juice and seems to clear easier
              Sounds like a good idea. will do this definitely.

I'm still having some issues deciding between back sweetening (with a lactose or xylitol) or pasteurization. Which would be the better option?
              Primary: APA
              Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
              Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
              Next up: world domination

Comment

Google "car jack cider press" you'll see dozens of examples, luckily I have a walk in deep freeze so is easy to quickly freeze a lot of apples maybe see if you know someone who has one only need to be in over night I'd say (a 20l batch requires a lot of bloody apples) I've been stove top pasturising which is very simple and works, I wouldn't be putting any fake sugar into juice I worked so hard for, but to be honest a five or ten liter batch doesn't hang around long enough to explode in my house.
                The other thing I would recommend is cold crashing with gelatine, clears much quicker and I assume also takes a fair bit of yeast out, which slows carbonation down but better final product from my experiments.
                Captain
                Last edited by Captain; 6 June 2014, 08:38.

Comment

Hi guys im in cape town. Any news on klaus??? I would drive to grabouw to fetch.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Comment

Desperately looking for apple juice. Peregine is 38 bucks per litre. That's insane

Comment

Originally posted by DonOne View Post
                      Desperately looking for apple juice. Peregine is 38 bucks per litre. That's insane

My latest find is Euroberry. The have a branch down in the Cape.
                      www.euroberry.co.za

Comment

Awesome thanks

Comment

Hi Erhardt i just bought cold pressed apple and pear juice. 15 bucks a litre at GIANT discount wholesalers. The brand is called Wilde juices. Im sure you can get some up there. 100% no preservative

Comment

Try Schoeman boerdery in Groblersdal.

Comment

I buy frozen marula pulp at granor pasi. However, minimum order is 180kg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X