Juice Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Damn, that is surprisingly little .... with Xylitol they say to backsweeten about 3 tsp per 4Lt ... and Xylitol is hectic expensive.
    That's because Xylitol isn't even as sweet as sugar(5% less sweet than sugar) and Sodium Saccharin is 500times(some say 200 - 700times) sweeter than sugar.
    Some info

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
    Xylitol is sadly...any idea where one could buy the sodium Saccharin other than brewcraft?
    List of suppliers
    All for Brew AND brew for all

Comment

Not sure how health conscious you are but saccharin and the likes of aspartame have received bad press. I also don't know how xylitol is 'processed' by yeast; it is described as an 'sugar alcohol' (don't give it to your dogs, it is is lethal!!). An alternative sweetener is stevia. It 'plays with your state buds' but is not a six carbon sugar or 5 carbon alcohol, maybe try that, it has a different taste but certainly is 'sweet'!
      I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

I'm not a fan of stevia & by some weird miracle my dog doesn't like Cider
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

you can by frozen pulp with no preservatives from http://www.granorpassi.co.za/
          This is where I buy my marula. they usually sell in 180 kg if you are lucky, but they have to occasional 25kg lying around...
          the pulp contains skin as well which is wonderful for wild yeast brewing which is what I do with the marula. It is slow though. Takes about 6 weeks to drop from 1085 to 1010

Comment

I bottled my cider today. It finished at about 1.002 to give 7.87% ABV. It was dry like a Cab. Sav. I'm not sure if I like or not. I'll see how it tastes when it's carbonated.

I ended up back-sweetening with 30 sachets of Canderel Sucrolose for 8L. I did the math and its equivalent to about 60 spoons of sugar or 240g.

The recipe was as follows:

8L Liquifruit Apple Juice
            100g sugar (I'll omit this next time)
            5g Safale US-05

Fermented for 3 weeks.
            Added 30 packets of Sucrolose to fermenter and bottled with 1 tsp sugar per bottle.
            kingcur
            Last edited by kingcur; 4 January 2016, 22:21.

Comment

Hi All

I Did a batch in December, I got a cold Press(Angel 5500) and made the juice myself. This was a long exercise but the yield on a cold press is amazing.
              For every 1kg of apples I got around 800ml. I used a mixture of different variants as this will directly influence the taste of your cider, I also added pears, apparently some of the sugars in pears doesn't ferment thus helping the cider not to be too dry.

Anyway afterwards I added Potassium metabisulfite to kill of wild yeast and about 36hours later I added cultivated yeast. I might have added too much Potassium metabisulfite because it only started fermenting after about a week.

It has been in the fermenter for about a month(went on holiday didn't pasteurize whoops), anyway will pasteurise and put in a conditioning with in the next few days. If its not spoilt already...

Even if there is no cider from that batch the juice was really amazing.

Planning to do another batch soon. I will keep you up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan View Post
                Hi All

I Did a batch in December, I got a cold Press(Angel 5500) .

Where did you get the press?
                Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                  Where did you get the press?
                  http://www.ecohub.co.za/

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan View Post
                    Even if there is no cider from that batch the juice was really amazing.
                    growing up, my dad was into juicing. there's nothing like fresh apple juice!

Comment

Has any one tried Joburg Market looks as if you can get apples @ R5 - R6 rand per kg. (Not to sure if their price charts are correct)

http://www.joburgmarket.co.za/dailyp...p?commodity=90
                      http://www.joburgmarket.co.za/dailyprices.php?commodity=90&cid=183

Deneys
                      Last edited by Deneys; 8 November 2019, 10:33. Reason: Add another URL

Comment

@Deneys Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          @Deneys Welcome

Thanks for the welcome JigSaw

Comment

Welcome man! Thanks for the link. Hoping maybe someone there might have some apple juice as well there?

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                              Welcome man! Thanks for the link. Hoping maybe someone there might have some apple juice as well there?
                              Not to sure I have not been there was hoping someone on the forum has. I do see the have Juice under their Commodity list

Comment

@Toxxyc

Found this posted on Facebook "Homebrew Classifieds SA"

5litre pure apple juice concentrate. 70 brix.

Sourced from Bonpro in Nelspruit. Excellent for cider or apple brandy.
                                20 x 5litre containers available.
                                Screenshot_7.jpg

located at 17 George Storrar Drive in Groenkloof, Pretoria. Monday to Friday 8 till 4

Comment

Working...
                                X