Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep I did mine all sanitary like beer. I didn't boost the OG either, I'll test and check what it is tomorrow when it's cooled down and I can pitch the yeast (doing no-chill, but there's no hops so I'm cautious)

Comment

• She'll be right :-) I can't shed my processes around sanitation, it's ingrained now. I do want to make another whipskey - my favorite so far is 50% munich dark, 50% 2row, comes out delectable after a few months on french oak.

Comment

• Took the reading. Came in at 1.080. I don't know exactly what my volume is, but it looks like around 12 litres. Might be a tad more. I worked with 12 litres and got an efficiency number of 80%. Not bad considering I didn't really sparge this batch like I usually do.

Oh, and the wort/wash smells...interesting. Like candy muffins.

Comment

• Goodness me that whisky wash is running. I pitched the yeast yesterday morning (some kind of white granular stuff mixed with regular yeast), and it's fermenting so fast, the pressure release cap isn't keeping up (the can looks like it's about to pop). It smells pretty awesome though. Can't wait to run it through the still!

EDIT: Oh yes, and unhopped wort at 1.080 with pale malt as the backbone and a strong helping of Goldswaen Brown makes for one hell of a tasty thing to taste when chilled. It tastes VERY close to a slightly watery Milo.
          Toxxyc
          Last edited by Toxxyc; 13 August 2020, 11:50.

Comment

• Sounds like DAP (nitrogen rich nutrient) - cheap as chips btw. When I run whiskey, I do a strip and a spirit run through the alembic pot. No filtering, you want to preserve your flavor. You could also use some backset/stillage when diluting for the spirit run to push some more flavor, iirc around 30% should do it, just save that amount from the strip in a container.

Comment

• Who's brewing this w/end? I'm planning a bitburger pils (my favorite) maybe do a double brewday and do something with williamette and east kent....I've too many empty kegs and my steam beer is near spluttering I can feel it. Enough bottles in reserve so no real hurry.

Will keg that quick and dirty APA I made on Tuesday this weekend, it dropped from 1.048 to 1.01 in less than 24h, yeasties are cleaning up atm, then quick crash, fine, keg and force carb.

Comment

• I'm putting off brewing until my new kit is mostly together but as usual when I want to do something fun work is keeping me really busy

Kegs are starting to empty though so might have to do a simple IPA brew next weekend.

Comment

• I'm not sure if I'm brewing this weekend. We'll see. I'm starting another one of the new pale ales though, seems there's interest in actual beers as well (a taster here and there).

Regarding the whisky wash, it seems to be done. This morning pressure is WAY down and I think it might have done it's thing. So maybe I'll run it through the still this weekend. I'm going to test the gravity of the whole thing a bit later to see where my ABV clocks in. I'm hoping around 9.5% to 10%. I mashed SUPER low in the hopes it would drive up fermentables.

Comment

• Brewing Sat and Sun. Blonde Ale on Sat and probably another hoppy APA on Sunday, I want to attempt my first yeast re-usage

Comment

• Brewing today - Mash is on the go at the moment. Brewing a German Pils (5D) with Pilsner malt and Hallertauer Spalter Select hops.

Brewing to make sure the drinks train keeps chugging along. I have a Kolsch lagering, a Munich Helles bottle conditioning and a fridge full of blondes.

Comment

• Brewing a Bohemian Pilsner on Saturday, and thinking of doing a Peanut Butter Porter next week.

That's with a Lager and Pale Ale Wort Cubes from Cape Point Brewery already fermenting and a Hibiscus-Raspberry Saison cold crashed today.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I've figured the only way to get a brewday in is to actually schedule it on the calendar. So I have a Pilsener brewday penned in (eraseable marker, really) for next weekend.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• If all goes well today I'll be brewing my first even NEIPA. Really excited. Also my first water treatment

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                              If all goes well today I'll be brewing my first even NEIPA. Really excited. Also my first water treatment
                              Im yet to brew one myself
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Brewing a German Pils today - 25isch litres in the fermentor.
                                100% Chateau Pilsen malt.
                                Aiming 1.040 preboil SG - hoping to get 1.048 OG and 1.010 FG = 5% ABV.
                                90min boil with 20g Magnum hops @60min, 15g Herbruker @30min and 10g Hersbruker @ 5min
                                About to collect first runnings - will aim from here how many litres I collect and where my preboil gravity stops - 1.040

Comment

Working...
                                X