Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah your stuff settled during your acid rest, and burned to shit when the element heated up to get to 55°C. Why all the steps?

Comment

• Its a clone recipe for the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. Since I skipped the decoction steps, I tried to follow the rest as best I could.
      Obviously I bit off a bit more than I could chew I guess I would have had to learn this lesson with my gear at some point(since I mash in the urn).

I was gutted after spending more than 7 hours (boil was 70mins...) to find the burnt caking on the element after pitching.
      Hopefully this will be a lesson for anyone else that mashes in their e-BIAB - unfortunately its wasn't something I had read about or even considered.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
        Its a clone recipe for the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. Since I skipped the decoction steps, I tried to follow the rest as best I could.
        Obviously I bit off a bit more than I could chew I guess I would have had to learn this lesson with my gear at some point(since I mash in the urn).

I was gutted after spending more than 7 hours (boil was 70mins...) to find the burnt caking on the element after pitching.
        Hopefully this will be a lesson for anyone else that mashes in their e-BIAB - unfortunately its wasn't something I had read about or even considered.
        i'm not familiar with how your setup looks/functions but;
        - pump egress/ingress should be on the same level as the element
        - ideally some form of filter should exist over this
        comparing to the gf, i have a egress filter (barrel) underneath the false bottom which is underneath the grainbasket filter, the only time i have some scorching is during a reiterated mash (2h)

you could redo the same recipe with a 60 min mash, 10 mash out and 30min/60min/n min boil. the result would be perfectly acceptable. iirc in decoction you remove part of the the grainbill and mash separately, something along those lines but it's raison d'etre is mainly because of rubbish malt, which is not a problem anymore with modern malts (bar walts which has gone belly up)

7 hours ? fts.

Comment

• I mash in my boil vessel sometimes. I just stir up the stuff a lot before the boil every time to prevent what happened to you :P

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            i'm not familiar with how your setup looks/functions but;
            - pump egress/ingress should be on the same level as the element
            - ideally some form of filter should exist over this
            So mine is, but it does not have a filter - you can see it in the pics of the burt element. Just an elbow bend to reduce dead space.
            Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            you could redo the same recipe with a 60 min mash, 10 mash out and 30min/60min/n min boil. the result would be perfectly acceptable. iirc in decoction you remove part of the the grainbill and mash separately, something along those lines but it's raison d'etre is mainly because of rubbish malt, which is not a problem anymore with modern malts (bar walts which has gone belly up)
            Yeah, I read up A LOT on decoctions and it really isn't needed with the highly modified malts of today anymore.
            Of course the element of "caramelization" is lost but the melanoidin should make up for that for the most part.
            Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            7 hours ? fts.
            The university of life man. Us newbies still gotta pay our school fees... ffs.

Originally posted by Toxxyc
            I mash in my boil vessel sometimes. I just stir up the stuff a lot before the boil every time to prevent what happened to you :P
            Wish i'd read/seen that this can happen before but alas i had to learn the hard way. I will be stirring the crap out of it from now on as well.

Anyways, when you fall you gotta get back up. I'll be re-attempting it tomorrow evening hopefully.
            I have a 25L coolerbox and am going to do the (reduced time) acid and protein rests in it and then transfer to the urn for the sacc mash, that way I can leave the worst of the sediment behind.

If you don't hear from me, I stuffed it up again

Comment

• I'm currently making my way through this thread to try and avoid running into this problem - https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads...al-rims.68324/

He basically has two circulation returns, one at the top as per usual, and one at the bottom to keep wort moving across the element. It counteracts the bag draining too slowly and the pump essentially creating a dead air space around the element as well as stagnant wort scorching the element.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                I'm currently making my way through this thread to try and avoid running into this problem - https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads...al-rims.68324/

He basically has two circulation returns, one at the top as per usual, and one at the bottom to keep wort moving across the element. It counteracts the bag draining too slowly and the pump essentially creating a dead air space around the element as well as stagnant wort scorching the element.
                Thanks Rikus, i'll spend some time going through it as well. Looks like there is plenty of useful info for us DYI e-BIABers

Comment

• Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
                  Thanks Rikus, i'll spend some time going through it as well. Looks like there is plenty of useful info for us DYI e-BIABers
                  this is really a work around for stuck mashes. i'd guess longer brewdays would be needed to keep your efficiency in check with this method as you're not returning all the wort to the grainbasket/bag.... i dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    this is really a work around for stuck mashes. i'd guess longer brewdays would be needed to keep your efficiency in check with this method as you're not returning all the wort to the grainbasket/bag.... i dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2707[/ATTACH]
                    hahaha I have no plans to drill holes in my urn anytime soon, so until then I'm recirculating from bottom to top.
                    I'll just need to incorporate the correct methods to avoid sediment settling and being burnt, that's all

That being said, it's only the the acid and protein rest steps that are my problem, I've brewed with the higher mashes without any issue.

Comment

• The bottom return is regulated with a valve, so my understanding is that you slowly close down the bottom valve as the circulation settles in order to send more wort to the top. This allows you to keep the wort below to bag moving to protect the element from scorching.

Comment

• Out of interest sake, where is your temp probe located relative to the element and suction and return?

I know the *theory* of PID, but I am still a big champion for throttled power supply to limit the power/ heat surges.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• In my case:
                          I hang it inside the urn. So the bag keeps it closer to the side but it's in the liquid, and not in the grains.
                          Also, it's about ~80-100 deg away from the tap (I clamp the cable to the handle).

Comment

• Do not have these issues, I use gas with BIAB, prefer it.
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                              Out of interest sake, where is your temp probe located relative to the element and suction and return?

I know the *theory* of PID, but I am still a big champion for throttled power supply to limit the power/ heat surges.
                              In a t piece at the top of urn / end of the return line.

Comment

• Brewing a modification to the Mad Giant Killer Pale Ale today..
                                I added oats to the mix. Will be interesting how the oat addition compares to the one without - which I brewed last week.
                                20201014_145940.jpg

47 litres in a 50litre kettle. Hope to fill 3x 5gal fermentors.

Comment

Working...
                                X