Page 241 of 253 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 2529

backset punts flavor in whiskies/rum, i tend to use it as a rule, but you dont have to. the sour mash is that, a mash that has gone sour by either
    an addition of a previous soured mash (generational) or
    souring the whole thing (first gen) you can save this for future use and you only need a small amount. think along the lines of making sake where you inoculate the rice with koji, here you're doing the same thing with the soured mash. fermenting on the mash is above my understanding

just remember you'd need to hydrate your cracked corn, then gelatinize it and then do the conversion. the boil will kill the enzymes, of course. i've even considered buying those frozen sweetcorn bags to expedite the process ;-)

side note: using sour spent grain to make a sourdough starter makes for magnificent sourdough bread - speeds up the process with weeks
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 25th September 2020 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.stevens View Post
    Living on the edge.

Making 45 L Vanilla Porter in a "50 L" urn

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    That sounds lovely! Have you brewed this before? How strongly does the vanilla come through? Willing to share a recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rikusj View Post
    That sounds lovely! Have you brewed this before? How strongly does the vanilla come through? Willing to share a recipe?
    It's the first time I'm brewing this one, if it comes out as well as I expect it to, I'll share the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    backset punts flavor in whiskies/rum, i tend to use it as a rule, but you dont have to. the sour mash is that, a mash that has gone sour by either
    an addition of a previous soured mash (generational) or
    souring the whole thing (first gen) you can save this for future use and you only need a small amount. think along the lines of making sake where you inoculate the rice with koji, here you're doing the same thing with the soured mash. fermenting on the mash is above my understanding

just remember you'd need to hydrate your cracked corn, then gelatinize it and then do the conversion. the boil will kill the enzymes, of course. i've even considered buying those frozen sweetcorn bags to expedite the process ;-)

side note: using sour spent grain to make a sourdough starter makes for magnificent sourdough bread - speeds up the process with weeks
    I think I'm going to skip the whole souring step. I'm not interested in that shit anymore. It sounds like a nightmare to try and do.

In other news, my single malt I made about a month or so ago (think it's exactly a month now), has undergone some...changes. I've had it at room temp for a week or two, pulled a lot of the initial oak additions after a week (left only some American oak) and then I got bored. Decided to Google some stuff and proceeded to do the hot/cold thing on it. So for starters I moved it between the fridge and next to the fridge for about a week. Then I decided to step it up a notch, and poured some water into my boiling kettle. Switched it on, placed the whisky jar in there and let it heat up to just a bit more than "warm". Opened the lid after the whole thing, let it sit like that for a minute or so (to let "volatiles" air off) and then closed it and moved it into the fridge.

All good.

I kept doing that until last week Saturday. We were on our way out for the day so I wanted to just do a quick heat cycle before leaving so I can get it in the fridge by the time we leave. Placed it in the boiler, switched it on...and promptly forgot about it.

Half an hour later the water was boiling VIGOROUSLY, and the whisky inside was boiling as well. Boiling. On the oak. With the lid going pssssssssssst like it was going to pop. I panicked, switched off the boiler and dumped a bunch of frozen 2l bottles in there. When the whisky cooled down enough to not boil anymore and some (didn't want an explosion opening the lid) I opened the lid, checked it and it seemed "ok". I placed it in the fridge and have only done a few cycles since with close supervision.

So this weekend we visited fam and I took a small sample (about 50ml) along of that whisky. To date I've only ever smelled and fingertip-tasted it. Poured the whisky in glasses for us, and because it's superbly green and young, and at 60% ABV, I added two small ice cubes for each of us. Let it sit to mellow for a few minutes and tasted.

Holy mother of all that is booze. This stuff is AMAZING. It's quite sweet, and not overly oaked. I was worried about astringency because of the boil, but nada. With the diluting ice adding some water you get strong floral and malt sugar notes, with a hint of caramel before the earthy oak takes over. Somewhere in there is also some notes of other sweets, and something reminds me of marshmallow. It finishes with a tiny dry bite that I can attribute to the oak, which I am totally fine with. Definitely tastes like more. Going to make a lot more whisky and have it aging for a longer time. This stuff needs to get bottled ASAP. I just can't wait any more!

Brewed up a C-hop heavy APA yesterday, I'm still a fan of chinook and cascade, but ran columbus, chinook and citra and planning to dh centennial and Cimcoe... Summer is coming. Also playing with the idea to make a graff, but i'll buy some cider and mix with a beer first to guage my interest, it alluring but maybe not a keg full alluring.

@Toxxyc : \_(ツ)_/
    The heatcycling thing is similar to nuclear aging and attempts to replicate the warehouse floor to ceiling barrel rotation found in some distilleries. You're not a patient fellow eh it's your toil and your product so your decision on how to go about it. I would however suggest that you do two ag whiskies
    - forget one on wood for as long as possible. No rotation, no fiddling with the oak - dont even open it to release "volatiles" just stick it in a cupboard and forget about it.
    - enjoy the other whisky.
    Drop the top one from consumption and distill/brew around the "gap"

Yep, that's what I'm going to do. I'm impatient, I know it, and I'm learning how to plan and work around it for now. So that's what I'll do!

Bottled my Wit yesterday, no irish moss or any finnings towards end of boil, no gelatin. Brewed a Wit end of last year and used irish moss and gelatin, came out as clear as a Krystal Weiss (did taste good just like a Wit), do not want to make the same mistake again.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Just bottled this experimental "DNEIPA", contains a bit of oats, and a *lot* of hops. 150 grams in the boil and a further 120 grams dry hopped in 20 liters, fermented with Kviek Ragnarok.

About 7.5%, and right now I'm carbonated, it's like drinking a glass of Mango Juice.

Nice! Just keged my jucy pale ale last night. Really loving these NEIPA type fruit juices right now! BTW. Have you had one of these? Im ordering! REALLY EXCITED! 2x of the best craft outfits working together on my favorite style!
    https://devils-peak-beer-co.myshopif...MuVyjfdxXG2ES0

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Nice! Just keged my jucy pale ale last night. Really loving these NEIPA type fruit juices right now! BTW. Have you had one of these? Im ordering! REALLY EXCITED! 2x of the best craft outfits working together on my favorite style!
    https://devils-peak-beer-co.myshopif...MuVyjfdxXG2ES0

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    One of the best and devils peak

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk