Page 242 of 256 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 2553

Yeah, I also brewed another NEIPA today, added 500g of Brandy Marmalade into the primary and will dry hop with Lemondrop and Citra.

Didn't know about the Aegir/Devil's Peak IPA will definitely try and get my hands on some

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I suppose no one gets close to Aeger right now. But did i mention they used Cryo hops?!!
    Im like a kid at Christmas

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I bought some Cryo hops last week, the aromas are amazing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Distilled a batch today. Got a tiny yield. I need to figure out how to push my ABV in my washes a lot, without sugars. I want to get all grain, no matter which grain, but all grain it must be. It's a matter of principle for me. Heh.

Anyway, I'm keeping at it. I want to get a few good litres of distillate so I can age a good whisky for a good time. I'm impatient and the only way I can think of dealing with this impatience is to have enough in stock to soothe this impatience.

So, what I want is plenty of distillate. All grain, pre-whisky distillate. So, simple and stupid question, but how does one make a good, high-gravity wort? The absolute highest I've gotten to was something like 1.06. And it was one hell of an effort to make it.

PS: I have pale malt. Enough of it.

Also, why don't we have a distillation section on this forum? I'mma ask Simon...

I do reiterated mashes for high gravity wort; mash#1 as per usual, mash#2 you do on the wort of mash#1 and sparge to volume or split sparges?. you've obviously noticed that a larger grainbill doesn't equal a larger OG. Workaround if you split the grainbill (check what size grainbill is the most efficient for your system) double that and reiterate it.

Other places to check is your still - ensure it's running optimally, leaks will decimate your returns, running too hot will evaporate your yield and taste kark

My still is fine. I've looked for leaks and I have none. Also, I still slow enough that my distillate dripping out is ice cold (water actually condenses on the tubes, so that's cool). I think I'll have to do a reiterated mash then as you say. 3.5kg of malt for a 20l batch in my system is the best (93% efficiency when making beer with that), so I think I'll just do that. I've seen now that throwing malt at the problem won't make it go away. It'll just flood your kettle and leave you with a massive grain bag in the end with a low OG.

Also, next question. I didn't boil my wort post-mash for distilling. I just poured it into the cube (unsanitized cube) and figured I'll pitch the yeast this morning (this was done yesterday afternoon). So this morning I check the cube and it's swollen. Take off the cap and yes, it seems to have soured. First I thought "well, shit, all that trouble for nothing" but then I figured "screw it" and pitched yeast anyway.

So now it's fermenting quite well, and the smell is...interesting. It smells VERY sweet, and fruity. The bubbles on the inside is big and looks like a light pellicle is forming on the bubbles, making me think it might be a lacto infection. I read up about them and the general consensus seems to be same as with beer - if is smell fine, keep at it. So I'm keeping at it. It's fermenting as we speak and the smell is actually becoming quite nice. I like it. Quite a lot. Anything to note on this?

check out "milk the funk" mainly aimed at beer, but you'll get the idea. the wiki is useful. we had some export wild fermented red wine - delicious, although the grapes provided the wild yeast. i'm not au-fait with "random" fermentation but it's something that can be explored, i'll watch from the sidelines.

Can you imagine? You get your "beer" infected and it ends up being lacto or brett and improving it? Id keep a sample and test it on a real beer if it does turn out to be a "good" infection.

Is the Distilling thread broken ?

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Based on the breath of discussion and the length of post, they need a new section so they can split. Otherwise its just to bulky to read