Page 268 of 269 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269 LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 2686

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    What SAB call their beers and what they actually are, are often two very different things
    At what point does beer become something else? How far does the definition of beer stretch?
    If adjuncts becomes the most prominent ingredient (bar water) do you still have "beer" ?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

It was a sarcastic chirp

It was a sarcastic chirp
    Im with you on this for sure, what sab calls beer is a fast and loose interpretation of the word.
    I guess if ginger/pineapple/root can have the word beer flung at them and stick, then I guess sab can do the same.

Does anyone know if they actually lager their lagers?

I had a lager from DB yesterday - in a 660ml bottle .. was cheap R15 or something like that .. and tasted just like sab's castle lager. Mmmm.

Does anyone what hops they use? - want to know so I can avoid it. Probably not for sale to craft brewers. .. or are they (DB) mixing in corn ? - that is giving 'that' falvour?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    I had a lager from DB yesterday - in a 660ml bottle .. was cheap R15 or something like that .. and tasted just like sab's castle lager. Mmmm.

Does anyone what hops they use? - want to know so I can avoid it. Probably not for sale to craft brewers. .. or are they (DB) mixing in corn ? - that is giving 'that' falvour?
    we'd get along well :-) i think it's the bittering hop that gives it 'that' flavor. I've tasted it in *many* south african "craft" beers, it immediately puts me off. the very last time i had DB it was sour, the keg was off, voorstrand in paternoster, that was about two years ago.

edit; i think it could also be the duration of the boil on sab hops, im guessing it throws that 'flavor' when boiled to death. but i wont rule out adjuncts either.

no offense to sab hop users, there's a specific taste that doesn't agree with me at all and i cant tell you what it is or where it comes from
    Last edited by groenspookasem; Yesterday at 11:55.

Does anyone know if they actually lager their lagers?
    When I was consulting there many years ago, Castle went grain to glass in less than 20 days.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

What SAB call their beers and what they actually are, are often two very different things
    I could call pineapple beer pineapple beer and upset even more people
    Last edited by Langchop; Yesterday at 12:44. Reason: Oh, dammit. Spook already said that
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    i think it could also be the duration of the boil on sab hops, im guessing it throws that 'flavor' when boiled to death
    Could this be the grassy flavour/aroma people are referring to when boiling the said SA hops for too long ? .. if so then I'm recognising 'that' flavour

Possibly, though I haven't brewed with SA hops yet so cant tell.
    My first SA hop brew will have 110g in at 85c for 15 or 20 minutes. Hopstand only, no bittering, flavor or aroma hops in the boil, 90g dryhop.

I also tend to boil for 30min only, I dont really see the point to boil any longer