Page 289 of 300 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 2993

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Brewing a Weiss tomorrow

Attachment 2947
    Nice... I brewed a weiss twice. Haha .. I'm a poet.
    This your home made brewing 'spreadsheet?

I'm planning a Saison tomorrow.. so am busy plugging in this recipe:
    https://www.castlemalting.com/Castle...l&RecipeID=238
    into my bugubrew:

.. but have some questions:

1. When I add their grainbill
    80% Château Pilsen
    10% Château Wheat Blanc
    10% Château Cara Clair
    I get a colour of EBC 4.3 - they get EBC of 9 ?? why?
    Shall I add some Cara Gold to up the colour to 9 EBC or just leave as is. I don't know if their 9 EBC is a typo? (or a copy and paste - then forget to edit some details)

2. Then their hops schedule requires:
    21 IBU Magnum @60
    3 IBU Aramis @5
    4.5 IBU Mosaic @5
    1.5 IBU Perle @5

Ok.. I don't have Aramis or Mosaic .. what would be good replacements?
    This is what I have in stock.
    Image1.jpg

Thanks

GRAIN:
    It could be that the EBC for each malt in their software could be different than yours. Not all harvests have the same colour each year. I wouldn't stress about it to much because you don't even know what the colour is you getting from your LHBS, but for recipe sake, you could add a smidge of something dark without changing the taste.

HOPS:
    Aramis Substitutes = Willamette, Challenger, Ahtanum Strisselspalt, Centennial, Chinook, Hallertau, Tettnanger

Mosaic Substitutes = Citra (Your Centennial should work here as that's a sub for Citra)

Like I said before .... Don't overthink it

EDIT: In Beersmith I get 5.9EBC and lower IBU than theirs
    Last edited by JIGSAW; 8th January 2021 at 10:17. Reason: see EDIT
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Thanks.

I'll add a bit of Cara Gold EBC120 (same colour addition as the Sierra Nevada)

and Centennial and Mittlefruh it is.
    .. don't want to use Centennial with Citra - not looking for the 'Killer Hop' combo

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    Nice... I brewed a weiss twice. Haha .. I'm a poet.
    This your home made brewing 'spreadsheet?

This is in VBA using access for the forms and database. Database separate form front end.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Thanks.

I'll add a bit of Cara Gold EBC120 (same colour addition as the Sierra Nevada)

and Centennial and Mittlefruh it is.
    .. don't want to use Centennial with Citra - not looking for the 'Killer Hop' combo

I didn't spot the Citra on your sheet, thats why i said Centennial ... Otherwise you could go Citra + Hallertua

I would drop the voss
    Had to pitch this again.

i didn't find a replacement keg fridge yet, so my small fermentation fridge is still doubling as a beverage cooler atm.

At least the Voss can ferment warmer inside my "electric blanket fermentation chamber", but i will try keep it @ ±23ºC

The Blonde is a low hop beer, so hopefully I will see how bad the taste is I got from previous Voss brews in this one.

Halfway through mashing another pale ale. Same base grain bill as my previous one, but decided to give galaxy a go!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...alaxy-pale-ale

Also set the mill gap quite a bit tighter. Circulation still going strong with finer crush. Keen to see efficiency numbers after the adjustment...

So I ran into a very weird speedbump... 45mins into the boil I happen to notice a little black speck in the boiling wort (about the size of a piece of husk). As I lean in to take a look I get a whiff of a slight burnt smell. Gave it a quick stir with the spoon to see if there's other black/burnt bits, but nothing. I decided to forge ahead, expecting to fund a scorched element, but after transferring to the fermenter the element looked fine. nothing scorched / burnt. Cleanup up super easy.

What could have caused this? Things I did different:
    1 - finer mill setting (my initial thought is that extra flour from the finer crush stuck to element and burnt, but this wasn't the case)
    2 - Gave the back a longer squeeze than usual. Element was off during this time. Before firing the element again I gave everything a good stir to try and lift anything that might've settled on the element)
    3 - used the SCR to dial the boil back from the usual very aggressive boil to a simmer (clear convection currents / movement of the wort, but no bubbles on top)

What else could this have been? Burnt hop matter (I added a first wort addition - could it have stuck to the element and slowly scorched over the course of the boil)?

Wort is busy cooling - haven't pitched yeast yet. Hit my numbers spot on. Tasting the cooled wort you don't immediately get a burnt taste, rather a mild bitterness/astringency. Should I pitch the yeast and let it ride? I'm planning on adding a big dry hop addition. Will this potentially mask any burnt notes?

Possibility is that there could have been a couple of stray roasted malt bits. Did you crush the grains yourself or at the LHBS? chances are that if at the LHBS granuals could have mixed ? - leftovers from the previous 'Mill my Grain'