Page 368 of 394 FirstFirst ... 268318358366367368369370378 ... LastLast
Results 3,671 to 3,680 of 3940

Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    Lol broke my head as well. Just one last thing the last part to this is inoculation rate. Good calculators will show this but think of it like this. Yeast like plants need space to grow stepping from 1.3L to 1.7L is not going to give you the growth you are looking for.

There is a minimum space that yeast can occupy while still growing, there is alot of science involved I find it super intresting. My rule of thumb is to step atleast 1L to get the optimum inoculation rate or close enough for me!!

Great feedback. Will read up more about innoculation rates ..

I've been using this site for my calcs:
    http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 23rd May 2021 at 20:01.

So, the Amber Ale is carbonated and I had a couple of pints over the weekend. Thought I would share my thoughts on the Ale, I did a completely different hop schedule than my usual.

First off, I ran out of gelatine and kegged without it, the beer is not 100% clear as I'm used to, it irritates me, so much so that I did not want to post a picture to Beer Pics thread...stupid I know, but hey, I'm used to crystal clear beers. Will post a pic later this week when I'm over it...

The hop schedule only started at 20 min (30 min boil), and I did not use any bittering additions as per usual, only Amarillo and Simcoe from 20 mins onwards. It resulted in a 28 IBU Amber Ale, with a relatively hoppy profile. I'm drinking a beer that I have never experienced before, the bittering is up front, with almost no bitter after taste, just malty goodness from the caramel/ biscuit malts. And I must say, I like it! The piney aroma from Simcoe really shines through on this ale, so much so, that I'm thinking of just brewing another batch this coming weekend and not even bothering with the Rye IPA. I dry hopped with the balance of the hops after the aroma additions, and although I like hoppy beers, it may need a bit less dry hopping, overall, I'm extremely chuffed with the result.

Here's the recipe, the FG finished at 1.012 and not 1.009 as per software.

Amber Ale.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    <snip>

First off, I ran out of gelatine and kegged without it, the beer is not 100% clear as I'm used to, it irritates me, so much so that I did not want to post a picture to Beer Pics thread...stupid I know, but hey, I'm used to crystal clear beers. Will post a pic later this week when I'm over it...

<snip>
    You could still add the gelatin ... mix as usual and add it to the keg with a syringe via the prv valve ...

release pressure on keg ...
    unscrew prv (that's if you have one)
    and inject liquid ....
    this will introduce just about zero OČ
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I also have to post here. The IRA that I made that had the roasty bite is maturing REALLY well. The roast bite is fading and sweetness is picking up well. The beer is smoothing out and turning in a super easy drinking beer. That makes sense, since it's a 5.1% ABV sweet beer with (IIRC) 28 IBUs. It does really well.

Regarding the Competition Helles, that funny fruity bite is still there. I had the last bottled one last night and while it's really improving, it's not improving fast enough. The competition is in 3.5 weeks' time, and unless it really undergoes a drastic change in that time, I'm not sure it'll do well at all.

The beer hits all the right notes. The ABV is spot on. Colour is spot on. The aroma and flavour and IBU is spot on. It's overall a perfect beer - and then it tastes like a tiny bit of fruit, like mango perhaps, made it into the boil. And it sets it off completely.

The one I poured into the glass seems to have "improved" after a few minutes, so I'm starting to wonder if it's not maybe a yeast by-product that vents off with the CO2, so I'm going to keg this week 2 weeks before the competition, carbonate it heavily and then vent it well to ensure I get all off stuff out of there ASAP. I'm actually also considering adding some copper into the beer in the keg, so that if there's a note of sulphur (I can't rule it out, the fruitiness has a slight sulphury note to it if I think about it), it'll get drawn out with the copper.

I was quite excited about this beer for the comp, but right now it's taking more of a backseat. Something is slightly wrong with the beer, and I actually hoped that the judges won't have a major flaw to write down for me.

Best is to present it as is, and learn from it. You are trying to over-engineer a simple beer, trust what you made and roll with it. Like I've said before, you will never ever be 100% happy with what you present when somebody is else is marking your homework, so just go with it.

Dunno how else to articulate it, but go with it and try again, you are judging the beer before it's been judged.

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    You could still add the gelatin ... mix as usual and add it to the keg with a syringe via the prv valve ...

release pressure on keg ...
    unscrew prv (that's if you have one)
    and inject liquid ....
    this will introduce just about zero OČ
    SAB kegs, so I can just depressurize it, open it up, chuck in gelatin and purge...nah, will live with my mistakes and ensure I always have gelatin in stock...

So leer mens uit jou foute uit...

Quote Originally Posted by dewald posthumus View Post
    best is to present it as is, and learn from it. You are trying to over-engineer a simple beer, trust what you made and roll with it. Like i've said before, you will never ever be 100% happy with what you present when somebody is else is marking your homework, so just go with it.

Dunno how else to articulate it, but go with it and try again, you are judging the beer before it's been judged.
    so much this !!!!

SAB kegs, so I can just depressurize it, open it up, chuck in gelatin and purge...nah, will live with my mistakes and ensure I always have gelatin in stock...

So leer mens uit jou foute uit...
    Yea, My last 2 kegs also didn't get gelatin and altho i could add via the PRV, I also thought nah ... im the only one drinking it, so who cares what it looks like

You are trying to over-engineer a simple beer
    That's the thing, it's a simple beer, but VERY hard to get perfect. I learned this the hard way this time. 5% ABV, very little colour, 16 IBUs, it's not easy. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    That's the thing, it's a simple beer, but VERY hard to get perfect. I learned this the hard way this time. 5% ABV, very little colour, 16 IBUs, it's not easy. At all.
    Tell you what, buy some Craft Lagers and compare, I'm sure it will stack up just fine against them.

Ask yourself the question, what would you do different next time? If there is something, then cool, if there's nothing, then what?

By over-engineering I meant trying to add copper to the keg and all sorts...
    Last edited by Dewald Posthumus; 24th May 2021 at 14:25.