X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think buy this book and read it:

https://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Class.../dp/0937381926

Taking recipes off the cloud or going into a brewing tool and using the middle setting means you don't understand the base style.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
      I think buy this book and read it:

Taking recipes off the cloud or going into a brewing tool and using the middle setting means you don't understand the base style.
      You are right when you say I don't understand the base style. Brewing beer for me is a fun hobby and I'm not in it to become the best brewer in the world, but rather have fun on the journey to brew a nice beer for me.

I read up on the styles I try to brew, watch videos from a few people that seem to know what they are doing and play with it till I get something I like. It might not be 100% to style, but I have a great time doing what I'm doing.

It's not the best way to go about it I'm sure. But I'm doing this to have fun, my beers turn out nice for me and I have fun with the process. To me that's a win.

I'd like to come taste some of your beers some day, will try next time I'm going that side again and you're open. Maybe that will convince me to become the best brewer I can in the shortest time possible

Comment

I think buy this book and read it:

+1 for this book. it's slightly dated now but they are planning an updated version soon. I bought that book and it taught me so much.

Another good one and the sequel for me is this one Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles: Daniels, Ray: 8601200435597: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

• Saying I brew with the sliders right in the middle isn't accurate, I aim for the middle, but will change it more towards what I'm trying to achieve to get a feeling for the differences. Like IBU and colour for example. I enjoy experimenting

Comment

• I find sliders are sometimes not that accurate. Especially for ebc

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
              You are right when you say I don't understand the base style. Brewing beer for me is a fun hobby and I'm not in it to become the best brewer in the world, but rather have fun on the journey to brew a nice beer for me.

I read up on the styles I try to brew, watch videos from a few people that seem to know what they are doing and play with it till I get something I like. It might not be 100% to style, but I have a great time doing what I'm doing.

It's not the best way to go about it I'm sure. But I'm doing this to have fun, my beers turn out nice for me and I have fun with the process. To me that's a win.

I'd like to come taste some of your beers some day, will try next time I'm going that side again and you're open. Maybe that will convince me to become the best brewer I can in the shortest time possible
              I'm not claiming to be a good brewer. I'm average at best. But one must understand your departure point if you intend going somewhere.
              I've brewed plenty of beers using the "leftover" concept: we use the leftover grain, plug it into Beersmith just to get a feel for the end product and to record the recipe, and brew.
              But that is hit and miss. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not.

By the way, part of the BJCP exam is to design a beer without any aids: you get given a style, and you need to formulate the ingredients and quantities out of your head.

Without understanding the base style, you'd never get close. You'd overshoot on unfermentables or on gluten content. You'd get a sweet soup or a thick soup. You could get excessive phenols from roasted grain. You could get a bland ale that has no appreciable flavour.

Just saying.

Comment

• I hope I can also one day say that I'm an average brewer. At this stage I'm very much a beginner on the lowest level with only 6 all grain brews under my belt. The extract I don't count because it's almost like mixing Oros, not too much influence from my side

Sadly I have an issue with acid at this stage and can only drink about 3 x 750ml's a week, but once I have that under control I'll work myself up to where I can brew once a week again.

Comment

• We are homebrewers guys ... no need to tell the next guy he is doing it wrong
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                    I hope I can also one day say that I'm an average brewer. At this stage I'm very much a beginner on the lowest level with only 6 all grain brews under my belt. The extract I don't count because it's almost like mixing Oros, not too much influence from my side

Sadly I have an issue with acid at this stage and can only drink about 3 x 750ml's a week, but once I have that under control I'll work myself up to where I can brew once a week again.
                    Drop all starch from your diet. No bread, pasta etc. In other words, Banting or Keto based LCMF. Low carb, medium fat.

I get gout from wheat products, especially commercial bread that has a toxic combination of preservatives. And wheat is in pasta as well.

Comment

• My pseudo pilsner blonde ale is coming along nicely now. The colour is a tad darker than I'd hoped, but it smells good. I bumped the fermenting chamber up to 20°C this week to finish it off, then I'm cold crashing.

Comment

• I brew what I want, often it is not to style. I don't care much about the BJCP.
                        I do this as I enjoy brewing and beer. My non style beers turn out great.
                        Brewing to style all the time, dull dull dull.

Doing a red ale the weekend, designed it myself. Not even a BJCP style.
                        I know you get red IPA and Irish Red ale, it is non of these.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                          I brew what I want, often it is not to style. I don't care much about the BJCP.
                          I do this as I enjoy brewing and beer. My non style beers turn out great.
                          Brewing to style all the time, dull dull dull.

Doing a red ale the weekend, designed it myself. Not even a BJCP style.
                          I know you get red IPA and Irish Red ale, it is non of these.
                          each to their own, styles just give you a base, but if you wing everything you do, that is also fine

Comment

each to their own, styles just give you a base, but if you wing everything you do, that is also fine

I do not wing it. I never wing it.
                            Just because it is not to style does not mean you wing it.
                            I have done a lot of small batch experiments.
                            I put a lot of thought into my recipes
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                              I do not wing it. I never wing it.
                              Just because it is not to style does not mean you wing it.
                              I have done a lot of small batch experiments.
                              I put a lot of thought into my recipes
                              OK Mr aggressive, I'm out. Enjoy.

Comment

• Brewing a Pilsner Urquell clone today.
                                https://byo.com/recipe/pilsner-urquell-clone/
                                Changing the recipe by having some magnum for bittering (saving the saaz for later additions) and W34/70

Comment

Working...
                                X