Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and a bud have been debating this same thing for a while. Our conclusion was that they have a t90 blend at sa hop farms that is apparently Sdawn, S Promise and Squeen. Were like 90% convinced that its all SAB puts in their beer. At 60 or 90min. And NOTHING later. And the corn and rice is the other half of that story. Man i had the misfortune of a budweiser this weekend. FFF the rice is not my kind of adjunct

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      Me and a bud have been debating this same thing for a while. Our conclusion was that they have a t90 blend at sa hop farms that is apparently Sdawn, S Promise and Squeen. Were like 90% convinced that its all SAB puts in their beer. At 60 or 90min. And NOTHING later. And the corn and rice is the other half of that story. Man i had the misfortune of a budweiser this weekend. FFF the rice is not my kind of adjunct

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
      Completely agree. The T90 blend is supposedly to balance out seasonal variances of each hop (and so they can keep producing such top quality beer )
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
        Completely agree. The T90 blend is supposedly to balance out seasonal variances of each hop (and so they can keep producing such top quality beer )
        top quality

i guess it's similar to illy coffee (or any "brand" of coffee beans) burn it to hell in a specific way, so that irrespective of beans used, it tastes like crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
          Brewing this one today. American Amber Pale Ale.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2783[/ATTACH]
          I brewed a premix grainbill from BG in the past - tho it was nice, it was very rich with a heavy mouthfeel - like a milkshake - anyway, I subsequently brewed the same premix mixed 50/50 with pale ale malt and came out better (for my taste), so I got the bulk ingredients yesterday from BG (as my batch size increased from 15 to 45 litres) and mixed up this batch.
          Not doing a dryhop for this one - just whirlpool - as I feel this needs to be a bit more malty than hoppy. I've got enough hop forewards beer stockpiled - all Killer Hop offsprings with variations in grainbill but keeping some consistency in the hopbill.
          Bottled this one today - 10 days later, wort nice and clear. FG 1.012 - Just for the record. I'm sure if I used US05 instead of VOSS it would have been sub 1.010

Comment

Today:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2772[/ATTACH]
            Ok.. taste review. I had a few yesterday with my boet. This brew has the same hopbill as the Killer Hops (except for the first bittering hops) and a different grainbill. Bottled about 10days ago - so not yet in it's prime. Anyway, not as coudy as the origional KH and of course slightly different tasting. Tho the major difference is the T90 pellets I added for bittering - aaaaaaaagrgh it's got 'that' taste. Boet asked "did you mix it with Castle Lager" - anyway overall it's good .. with the cascade centennial and citra flavours coming through but I'm noticing 'that' taste. Not using any SA hops for bittering again. Possibly have a run with SDawn sometime .. but not soon - but I think for the sake of cost this is not worth it - rather then try magnum hops - theyre on the cheaper side anyway. I will considder adding Southern Hops for late addition in future pale ales - see how that works out.
            AlexBrew
            Last edited by AlexBrew; 2 December 2020, 10:57.

Comment

• Planning to brew after work today. Doing the little creatures pale ale again, seeing as the previous time I didn't cool down during the hopstand, it went a bit hoppy. (Think it was my second/third brew) Hopefully I can get it better this time around

Comment

• Double brewday on the way, gots to gets some extra brews in the chamber for the upcoming R&R.
                Planning for a London Pride or Hull Melon pils and also that safrican wheat, but still conflicted on which hop to use.

passion or tropic. 200g on a 23l batch. wwyd?

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  Hull Melon pils?
                  Sounds interesting, care to share?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                    Chur; it's a simple recipe, but it works. easy to scale down and or lawnmower it. you can add cara if you wish. i like like perle. you could also bump the 5 min, i found a max of 20g is good for pils/lager. i dont overhop these. bu:gu 0.5 to max 0.67
                    23l batch
                    5kg pils
                    20g perle @ 30
                    20g hull melon @ 30
                    10g hull melon @ 5
                    skare for 10 days at 25c, could be less, but i'm never in a rush on these

Comment

how's that gumballhead treating you? good for those kark hot days you blokes have upcountry. i'm keen to try that sa gumballhead, i'll head out to beerlab soon and decide on the spot if passion or tropic will be the hop i pop my "safrican hop virginity" on

Comment

• ^ try both?

also get African Queen > She's a winner
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          ^ try both?

also get African Queen > She's a winner
                          i got the passion at 10.8aa the 140g @ 85c for 15min will produce a reasonable 26 ibus and the brew a middle of the style 0.54 bu:gu
                          also some verdant - haven't bought yeast in ages.

picked up my bulk malts from bg yesterday, keen to try the cara terra (new to me)

i guess i'm doing the hm pils and saffa gumballhead, not in the mood to import hops from pretoria

Comment

• Holidays are around the corner!!! I'm on leave from the weekend and my extra fermenters and hops should be arriving Sunday so I'm looking forward to brewing up a storm in preparation for Christmas.
                            1st Christmas beer:
                            Big Kona clone:
                            Brewing Water

7.5 gallons (30 quarts or 28.4 liters) of tap water went into this baby. We didn't even filter it. Welcome to the lazy river!
                            Grains and Mash

9 Pounds (4.1 kg) of pale is best but we used a 50/50 mix of pale and pilsner because that's all we had. Problem solvers are what we are.
                            8 ounces (226.8g) of honey malt.
                            4 ounces (113.4g) of caramel malt.
                            We mashed for 60 minutes at 152 degrees F (66.7C).
                            Hops and Boil

.15 ounces (4.25g) of Galaxy at start of boil (60 minutes).
                            .25 ounces (7.1g) of Citra with 15 mins left.
                            .25 ounces (7.1g) of Citra with 5 minutes left.
                            .2 ounces (7.1g) of Citra at flame out.
                            2nd Christmas Beer:

Blue Moon Recipe (Clone)
                            (All-Grain Beer Recipe, 6-Gallon Batch)

Specs
                            OG: 1.055
                            FG: 1.014
                            IBUs: 9
                            ABV: 5.4%
                            SRM: 5

Ingredients
                            5.5 lb. Two-Row Brewers Malt
                            4.5 lb. White Wheat Malt
                            1 lb. Flaked Oats
                            0.6 oz. Hallertau hops (2.4 AAUs) @ :60Shop Conical Fermenter
                            3 oz. Valencia (sweet) orange peel @ :10
                            1.5 tsp. fresh ground coriander @ :10
                            Wyeast 1056: American Ale Yeast - NOPE Kviek voss for life!!!!
                            5 oz. corn sugar for priming

Directions: Prepare a 2L yeast starter. Single infusion mash at 154°F., using 1.5 qts water per pound of grain. Sparge to collect 7.5 gallons of wort. Add hops at beginning of 60-minute boil. Add orange peel and coriander in last 10 minutes of boil. Chill wort, pitch yeast starter, and ferment at 65°F. for one week, then transfer to secondary for two weeks. Bottle with priming sugar and condition for two weeks. Optional: serve with a slice of orange

Will have to substitute a few of the grains but hope I can get quite close to the original recipies.

Comment

Ok.. taste review. I had a few yesterday with my boet. This brew has the same hopbill as the Killer Hops (except for the first bittering hops) and a different grainbill. Bottled about 10days ago - so not yet in it's prime. Anyway, not as coudy as the origional KH and of course slightly different tasting. Tho the major difference is the T90 pellets I added for bittering - aaaaaaaagrgh it's got 'that' taste. Boet asked "did you mix it with Castle Lager" - anyway overall it's good .. with the cascade centennial and citra flavours coming through but I'm noticing 'that' taste. Not using any SA hops for bittering again. Possibly have a run with SDawn sometime .. but not soon - but I think for the sake of cost this is not worth it - rather then try magnum hops - theyre on the cheaper side anyway. I will considder adding Southern Hops for late addition in future pale ales - see how that works out.
                              We avoid everything except S Passion. And never boil ZA hops for longer than 30 minutes.

Comment

Planning to brew after work today. Doing the little creatures pale ale again, seeing as the previous time I didn't cool down during the hopstand, it went a bit hoppy. (Think it was my second/third brew) Hopefully I can get it better this time around
                                Got an early start, done!

Comment

Working...
                                X